22 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2014 10:57 AM by A.T. Romano

AUDIO DRIFT FOR THAT PRICE!!??!

AngryYoutuber

I HAVE PAID BLOODY GOOD MONEY FOR THIS PROGRAM FOR WORK PORPOSES. I CANNOT SIT THREW EVERY 5 MINUTES OF AUDIO TO CORRECT THE AUDIO AS IT CONSTANTLY DRIFTS OUT OF SYNC... FOR THE PRICE I PAID FOR THIS PROGRAM IT SHOULDNT EVEN BE AN ISSUE!!!

I WANT A STRAIGHT AND SIMPLE REAL SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM. NO ********.

• 1. Re: AUDIO DRIFT FOR THAT PRICE!!??!
          Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi AngryYouTuber,
          Welcome to the forum.

• I know you're upset, but please do not use all CAPs. People might not be willing to help someone that does this.
          • Secondly, we can't help you unless you give us more details about your workflow, your system, and your source media. Check out this article: FAQ: What information should I provide when asking a question on this forum?
          • For a quick solution to audio drift problems, transcode the file to a different codec, then import it into Premiere Pro. You might have variable frame rate footage if you recorded game footage, recorded a screen capture, or shot video on a phone with low lighting. For this, check out VLC. Premiere Pro does not support variable frame rate footage. Sorry.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 2. Re: AUDIO DRIFT FOR THAT PRICE!!??!
            AngryYoutuber Level 1

my file is mp4, using elements 12 on windows 8. I wish I had of known that this would happen before paying the money. very disapointed. I dont know how to 'transcode'

• 3. Re: AUDIO DRIFT FOR THAT PRICE!!??!
              Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

AYT,

Oh, you're using Premiere Elements? This forum is for Premiere Pro. Let me move this post for you.

Thanks,
              Kevin

• 4. Re: AUDIO DRIFT FOR THAT PRICE!!??!
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the Premiere Elements Forum.

Can you give us the full details of those MP4 files, and also the Project Settings, where you are using them? Also, can you tell us where those MP4 files came from, say a Canon ____, or perhaps a video screen-cap program, or a TV capture card?

It sounds as though you are experiencing dynamic OOS (Out Of Sync), where the OOS increases over time, rather than appears statically, or the same amount from start to finish. Is that correct?

Good luck, and please let us know a bit more.

Hunt

• 5. Re: AUDIO DRIFT FOR THAT PRICE!!??!
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Kevin,

Thanks for Moving this post. We'll do our best to take it from here.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 6. Re: AUDIO DRIFT FOR THAT PRICE!!??!
                    AngryYoutuber Level 1

The MP4 file was recorded on a sony Vaio HD webcam. The audio gradually gets further and further away from the video, so at the start my video is in sync but by the end it's gone completely out.

• 7. Re: AUDIO DRIFT FOR THAT PRICE!!??!
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for that information. It could well be important.

One more question please:

Does that WebCam file use a constant Frame Rate (FPS), or does it have a variable Frame Rate? Variable Frame Rate media can be highly problematic, and that is why I ask about the FPS.

Also, one of our vaunted contributors, ATR, has been working on another WebCam issue, so probably has both great experience, plus testing methods, that might be helpful.

He will likely be a long soon, and with the info that you have provided, might have some ideas.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: AUDIO DRIFT FOR THAT PRICE!!??!
                        AngryYoutuber Level 1

I wish I knew what it's frame rate was. I wish I knew before buying this would be practically unsolvable.

• 9. Re: AUDIO DRIFT FOR THAT PRICE!!??!
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

In PrE, look at your Project's Asset Panel, and Rt-click on one of the MP4 files, then choose Properties. What does that show for FPS?

Also, MediaInfo, a great free file info utility will give you even more details, and is highly recommended. Just Open one of those MP4 files in it, and in Tree View, you can see every detail of that file, including the FPS.

When you install MediaInfo, make sure that you uncheck the option to install any browser toolbars, etc.

Good luck, and let us know the FPS for the MP4's, as that could be a big clue.

Hunt

• 10. Re: AUDIO DRIFT FOR THAT PRICE!!??!
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

AngryYoutuber

Like many other programs of its kind, Premiere Elements has its learning curve with workflow details that need to be understood and executed. If you do not have the time and patience, I suggest you return the product if purchased from Adobe within 30 days of purchase to get your money back.

We would be glad for the opportunity to help you work through the issue. But it will require follow up and direct answers to direct questions.The answers will be in the details.

You say that the video is from a Sony Vaio HD webcam. Is the webcam built into the computer or one that you attach to the computer?

What is the scenario for placing your webcam video on the Premiere Elements 12 Timeline

a. Camera Sony Vaio HD webcam/software that came with the webcam (please name)/ that produces a .mp4 file saved to your computer hard drive. And, you import that .mp4 into Premiere Elements 12 with the program's Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the video to the Expert workpsace Timeline.

or

b. You open Premiere Elements 12 and go to Add Media/Webcam or WMD Device and in the Capture dialog that appears you see your Sony Vaio HD camera listed in the field where it shows Capturing Source? If so, are you using Full Motion or Stop Motion? If so, what are you ending up with,  HD or SD video added to the Timeline?

Once we know how you are getting your .mp4 to the Premiere Elements 12 Timeline, we can back track to figure out if the project settings of the program are being properly set by you or the program. This may be a simple matter of right or wrong project settings or more complex. But we will not know until we work through the details.

Since you present with an audio out of sync with its video issue it is necessary to know the video and audio properties of the file

video compression

audio compression

frame size

frame rate

interlaced or progressive

file extension - we know that from what you told us, .mp4.

pixel aspect ratio

The easy way is if you know the brand/model/settings of the camera recording the video. Any problems in that regard, then you get the properties from free properties readout programs such as MediaInfo or gspot. I suggested MediaInfo here since it will tell us if your video uses a fixed or variable frame rate. Variable frame rates can create problems.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

Please review the above and let us know your decision on whether or not you have time to troubleshoot the problem that you describe.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: AUDIO DRIFT FOR THAT PRICE!!??!
                              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>I wish I knew what it's frame rate was

Go to the tutorial links page at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830

Scroll down and start clicking/reading at Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside to read

• 12. Re: AUDIO DRIFT FOR THAT PRICE!!??!
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

AngryYoutuber

Quick question...is your Sony Vaio webcam using the Arcsoft Webcam Companion software?

ATR

• 13. Re: AUDIO DRIFT FOR THAT PRICE!!??!
                                  AngryYoutuber Level 1

according to PrE in properties the Frame Rate is 30.00, im working on getting the other details. it saves as an mp4 but when i open up in PrE in properties it says its an mpeg file. As for the scenarios you gave me the answer is A.

• 14. Re: AUDIO DRIFT FOR THAT PRICE!!??!
                                    AngryYoutuber Level 1

okay i ran it threw MediaInfo and heres the results

MPEG-4 (BASE MEDIA/VERSION 2) 18.7 MiB    Overall bit rate 8 662 Kbps

1 Video Stream AVC

1 Audio Stream AAC

first video stream

8295 Kbps, 1280*720 (16:9) at 30.000 FPS , AVC (MAIN @ L3.1) (CABAC/2 REF FRAMES)

first audio stream

160 Kpbs , 44.1 KHz , 2 channels AAC (LC)

• 15. Re: AUDIO DRIFT FOR THAT PRICE!!??!
                                      AngryYoutuber Level 1

just checked and the Frame Rate Mode is VARIABLE.

• 16. Re: AUDIO DRIFT FOR THAT PRICE!!??!
                                        nealeh Level 5

As indicated by Bill in post #7 variable frame rates have frequently caused issues with PRE. While I know you will receive good advice and suggested project settings to try, if you are looking for a quick workaround converting the source video with the excellent free FormatFactory (Google it) to a format with a fixed frame rate will probably resolve your audio sync issues.

Suggested settings (using convert to MP4 (even though source is also MP4 this should still work)):

1.png

Cheers,
                                        --
                                        Neale
                                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 17. Re: AUDIO DRIFT FOR THAT PRICE!!??!
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with Neale.

That Variable Frame-Rate is the likely cause of the issue.

If the Capture of the WebCam footage cannot be set to a Constant Frame Rate (first choice, if possible), then conversion to a Constant Frame Rate is the next best course of action, IMO.

Neale offers one conversion program option. There are others, but FormatFactory gets a lot of praise on these forums.

Premiere Elements, just like its "big-brother," Premiere Pro, is designed for Constant Frame Rate material.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: AUDIO DRIFT FOR THAT PRICE!!??!
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

AngryYoutuber

Thanks for the reply with important details.

From what you wrote, your video is 1280 x 720 @ 30 frames per second (variable) and can be characterized as H.264.mp4.

Out of sync audio has been reported often for video which uses a variable instead of fixed frame rate. In those instances, I have used the free HandBrake program to change the variable to fixed frame rate.

However, let us be sure the project settings are not the cause of the problem and not a variable versus fixed frame rate. Either way you will end up using the following project preset

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD LITE 720p30

I am assuming that you are using Premiere Elements 12 Windows (set up for NTSC region)

a. Open Premiere Elements 12, go to File Menu/New/Project and set the project preset as cited above. Before exiting the last dialog in that area, be sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project".

b. Then back in the Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace, use Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets, and drag your video from Project Assets to the Timeline. Is there no colored line over the Timeline content or an orange line? If orange, press the Enter key of the computer main keyboard to render the Timeline content. When this type of rendering (for preview purposes) is completed, the orange line will turn green.

c. Determine if the rendered video plays back in the Edit area without any out of sync audio.

d. If audio out of sync, then use HandBrake or a comparable program to convert your variable frame rate to a fixed one at 30 frames per second. Looks like you have H.264.mp4. So you will be retaining that format just changing the frame rate type. If step by step on HandBrake needed, please do not hesitate to ask.

We will be watching for your results.

Your follow up was much appreciated.

ATR

• 19. Re: AUDIO DRIFT FOR THAT PRICE!!??!
                                              AngryYoutuber Level 1

i did everything you said and it didnt work. if you could explain how to use handbrake that would be appreciated. thanks alot

• 20. Re: AUDIO DRIFT FOR THAT PRICE!!??!
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

AngryYoutuber

a. Download Handbrake

http://handbrake.fr/

b. Source/Open File

Source Despcription should be set to show automatically in seconds 00:00:00 through xx:xx:xx    Duration xx:xx:xx

Set Destination for saved output

Container = mp4

Picture Tab, leave as is

Video Tab

Video Codec = H.264 (x264)

Framerate (FPS) = 30

and remember

dot next to Constant Frame Rate

Hit the Start Button

Follow the process of the conversion in the progress readouts at the bottom of the Handbrake workspace.

The process is completed only  when you see "Queue Finished".

Others may prefer other programs, but Handbrake has worked well for me and others.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 21. Re: AUDIO DRIFT FOR THAT PRICE!!??!
                                                  AngryYoutuber Level 1

it worked. thanks alot. cant tell you how much i appreciate this as i need it. thanks

• 22. Re: AUDIO DRIFT FOR THAT PRICE!!??!
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

AngryYoutuber

Great news. Thank for letting us know the outcome.

There are several instances (with iPhone footage and iPod footage with variable frame rate) when I did not run into audio out of sync issues. Setting an appropriate project preset and rendering of the Timeline content as indicated remedied any problems. But, that is not the same for all. That is when programs like HandBrake save the day, allowing the user to go from variable to fixed frame rate for the video.

We appreciated you staying with the troubleshooting. Good job.

Continued success.

ATR