2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2007 2:20 PM by CatBandit

Mouse Path

carmencm
      When in demonstration mode the sequence of events should be: a comment explaining the action, the mouse click to the location, the action, and then the mouse path to the next slide to continue with the demonstration. What we are seeing is the aforementioned steps not happening in the proper sequence (the timing is off). Also, sometimes it seems that Captivate 2 is recording steps in an application faster than the browser can work. This results in the mouse path and click showing up on what appears to be a blank screen. The only workaround we have found is manual correction which is time consuming. Are there settings that you recommend for a demonstration prior to recording so we can avoid the rework?

Thank you!
        • 1. Re: Mouse Path
          CatBandit Level 3
          quote:

When in demonstration mode the sequence of events should be: a comment explaining the action, the mouse click to the location, the action, and then the mouse path to the next slide to continue with the demonstration.
          The sequence of events might need to be quite different for someone else, but the beauty of Captivate is that the timing of any object or event (mouse movement, captions appearing and disappearing, etc.) can be edited by the developer. Some editing cannot be avoided, but the time required can be minimal with Captivate if you have a very good broad band connection (for Internet-based applications) and a very fast PC.

Yes, Captivate's auto-record feature is probably grabbing screen-shots more quickly that you want. This cannot be avoided. It is true when capturing from a web location, and is more noticeable on slower connections, or on web-pages that for other reasons might take a bit longer to completely render to the screen ... an example of this is when your last action is to "click" a button that activates a database search or sort operation; some operations take longer than others to complete, so the background change to the screen is delayed while waiting for the database to complete its task displaying the new results.

The solution is simple: When recording, keep an eye on the Captivate icon in the task-bar ( it will blink red each time a capture is made) and supplement the auto-record by manually pressing the keyboard PRTSCR key as needed. This will probably result in capturing more screen shots that absolutely necessary, and the deletion of the extra screen shots during editing is a normal developer task. This method of capture should be standard practice at all times you are recording a Captivate movie.

Hope this helps.
          • 2. Re: Mouse Path
            CatBandit Level 3
            For all my wordiness in trying to help - above - I didn't really address the "title" of your post; that is, that you would like the mouse to move when you'd like the mouse to move. I understand and sympathize with the wish. I think if you use the supplemental "manual" captures I mentioned, a little practice and patience will eventually resolve the problem for you.

If you have the ability to do so, get a T3 or faster Internet connection, and capture nothing that involves any action that might be slow in rendering the result as a new background. Interestingly, you are actually at the mercy of the web-development people at the location you are capturing. If they have created a large clunky web application, there may be nothing you can do regardless of connection speed - except use the manual capture keyboard key. Good luck.