4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 6, 2014 7:56 AM by Paolo92Y RSS

Converting FLV to MOV

Paolo92Y

Hello all, I'm a relatively new user to Premiere Pro and am enjoying it very much.

We have some FLV files we're looking to edit at work, and then export as MOV for upload to YouTube. I'm currently receiving signifcant quality loss in this process. I've tried a variety of work flows and export/compression settings, and can't match the original quality of the FLV file I'm currently receiving for editing.

Is this something we will have to live with, or can someone suggest a work flow that can help me reduce/remove the quality loss I am currently receiving?

Thanks for any information you may have on this issue,

Paolo.

• 1. Re: Converting FLV to MOV
          shooternz Community Member

FLV is definitely not intended for editing so its hard to know what anyone can suggest.

Can you show a frame grab of original source file from the Source Monitor (Camera Icon) and tell us what the sequence is.

• 2. Re: Converting FLV to MOV
            Paolo92Y Community Member

Thanks for your response, shooternz.

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but have attached a screen grab of the source monitor info in the camera icon at right below. As well, below left, I'm including a screen shot the flv file properties. Let me know if this helps or any other ideas you have. properties.pngsource monitor.png

Thanks for your time and assistance,

Paolo

• 3. Re: Converting FLV to MOV
              the_wine_snob CommunityMVP

With the tiny "stage," or Frame Size, the best that you can hope for would be to do a Custom Sequence that matches the FLV, then output to that Frame Size. It will be tiny on YouTube too. If you blow that material up, it WILL look horrible.

Not many pixels to work with. Can you do the FLV with a larger stage, say 720 x 480, or 1920 x 1080, back in Flash Pro?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Converting FLV to MOV
                Paolo92Y Community Member

Thanks Bill.

I actually just got done reading some  posts of yours on Codecs, Wrappers, etc...from 2012/13. Very informative and useful.

Thanks for chiming in. The small stage file is ok. I am doing a custom sequence and it is holding up ok. However, I should have been more informative above. The problem arises with another file I have. It is 800x512. I am combining both files to make a new frame. The small on left, larger one on right. When I pause the files in the Source Monitor, both look great. But when I export them, I lose much of the crispness of the text and images in the file at 800x512, even in a custom sequence.

Here are the properties of the 800x512 file I received from Media Inspector:

Screen Shot 2014-03-06 at 10.55.31 AM.png

Is there anything I can do to mitigate that quality loss when exporting that I am seeing?

Thanks again for your time and assistance,
                Paolo