21 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2014 8:16 AM by magnum_jim RSS

extremely Slow burning a video with elements 12

magnum_jim Community Member

We have windows 7 64 bit with 16 gigs of ram

It is extremely slow burning a video

Can anyone help

I have a 140 minute video, and I set the size to 2 gigs

It is only at 24% and it has been going almost 2 hours.

Thans

email veanna@att.net or freedom33359@att.net.

• 1. Re: extremely Slow burning a video with elements 12
          the_wine_snob Community Member

The majority of time required to Burn to Disc is the Transcoding operation.

That is highly dependent on several factors:

1. What are the details of the Clips on your Timeline - more info the better.
          2. What are the full specs of your computer, and especially the CPU, and then the I/O (Input/Output), i.e. your HDD's, their size, speed, controller type, available free-space, and how they are allocated?

That will likely give us some places to look, to speed up the process, as much as it can be sped up.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: extremely Slow burning a video with elements 12

Thanks Bill

We have a 1 terrabit hard drive with 768 gigs free, the speed is regular

7200 rpm, standard Dual PCIDE controller, Channel 1 and Channel 0

Duo 2 processor 3.1gz with 8 gigs of Ram

About 35 clips are now on the time line.

Thanks Again

>

Re: extremely Slow burning a video with elements 12

created by Bill Hunt <http://forums.adobe.com/people/the_wine_snob> in

/Premiere Elements/ - View the full discussion

<http://forums.adobe.com/message/6183298#6183298

• 3. Re: extremely Slow burning a video with elements 12

Jim,

Thank you for that info.

One last question (I hope), but what are the full specs. of the Clips on the Timeline?

The reason that I ask that is that with the Duo-Core CPU, some formats/CODEC's can take a long time to process, and the processing is what takes the majority of the time.

As an example, I was given several WMV's to author to a DVD-Video. I begged for files before the WMV conversion, but the client quickly said no-go. I should have taken the time to just convert those, but was a bit miffed at the client for not even trying, though the overall quality would have been better.

I threw those WMV's into a Project, did the necessary, and very minor editing (a bit of Trimming and some Titles), then went to Burn the Project to a DVD-Video. This was on my workstation, and it was taking forever. The client called and wanted to send a courier over for the DVD-Video. I fired up the laptop, did a batch convert of the WMV's (should have not gotten mad, and just done this to begin with), Imported the converted files (DV-AVI) into Premiere, did the same editing, output to Encore for the authoring, set that up with the same Menus, and started the Burn. That finished, I printed the art onto the disc, packaged it up, and handed it off to the courier, about 1 hour before the WMV Transcode/Burn finished on a much more powerful computer! Some media just requires more work, than some others do.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: extremely Slow burning a video with elements 12

Thank Again For Your Reply;

Before I stop the burn, let me ask a dumb question, are you referring to

the type of file which I loaded on the time line, Are you asking if it

is possibly an AVI file that I am trying to burn?

Maybe it is, I|The girl that I am helping copied from youtube, and it is

an old video. If this is true, can I change the file type when selecting

to share I then select Burn DVD Blue Ray AVCHD Disk, we then began the

burn, how would I be able to change file type?

Let me know and if I must I will stop it,

Thank so very much, Bill for your help

• 5. Re: extremely Slow burning a video with elements 12

Jim,

Yes, I am asking about the Clips that you have Imported, and placed onto the Timeline.

Also, now would be a good time to tell us the Project's Settings, as if there is a mis-match between the media, the Video Clips, and the Project's Settings, there can be additional processing time.

Good luck, and let us know a bit more please.

Hunt

• 6. Re: extremely Slow burning a video with elements 12

Hey Bill, Please, Can you you give me an example of what you mean when

you say the project settings?

Thanks

>

<http://forums.adobe.com/message/6183489#6183489

• 7. Re: extremely Slow burning a video with elements 12
                      John T Smith MVP

>project settings

The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 has links about project settings (and a lot of other good information)

• 8. Re: extremely Slow burning a video with elements 12

Maybe I understand what you mean by the settings,  This is a pretty

simple video, she has used keyframing, and boosted the audio, She then

added a narration. I believe that is about it.

Does this help?

• 9. Re: extremely Slow burning a video with elements 12

These video clips come from a JVC, and a Sony, with the SD cards. We

usually use these disc which each have a little different format, but

usually we have no problem. There probably is a mis-match of some type.

It is now going a little faster.It is up to 68%.

Thanks

Jim

>

• 10. Re: extremely Slow burning a video with elements 12

Jim,

At New Project, before one has done anything else, when they create the New Project, there are settings. Depending on the version of PrE being used, there is probably another opportunity to modify the Project's Settings, via File>New Project.

As you have a Project set up already, you can go to Edit>Project Settings>General, to see all of the Project's Settings.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: extremely Slow burning a video with elements 12
                              A.T. Romano Community Member

magnum_Jim

Just seeing your thread and had some questions.

At the onset you mention

I have a 140 minute video, and I set the size to 2 gigs

That got me curious.

1. What are you doing in the way of burn to

a. DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc

b. AVCHD format on DVD disc

c. Blu-ray Disc Format on Blu-ray disc

especially when you write

when selecting to share I then select Burn DVD Blue Ray AVCHD Disk,

What is your choice and export settings after Publish+Share/Disc/?

2. Fine tuning this a bit more

a. When you get to the burn dialog (with your disc in the burner tray) what do you see in the Quality Area of the burn dialog

for Space Required and Bitrate?

b. I am suspecting that you might be working without a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space" and moving the Quality Slider

down until you see Space Required 2 GB. Am I correct in that thinking? If so, what is the bitrate that you finally go with for the burn to?

You realize the lower the bitrate, the lower the file size, but the lower the quality.

3. I am not getting a clear idea of what and how much you have on the project's Timeline. What formats and properties are represented there?

Here I am thinking in terms of

video compression

audio compression

frame size

frame rate

Interlaced or progressive

file extension

pixel aspect ratio

The properties of what you have on the Timeline are supposed to be reflected in the project settings put in place by you or the project with the setting of the project preset at the very beginning of the new project. This forces you to know the properties of what you are putting on the Timeline so that you can manually set the correct project preset and/or figure out if the project has it correctly in an automatic process.

If you look under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General, what do you see there for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio for this project with the burn time that you believe to be too slow?

Please consider and then we can discuss this further if necessary.

Thank you.

ATR

• 12. Re: extremely Slow burning a video with elements 12

Thanks for your reply? I really appreciate your help.

While listening and reading your advice, I learned that we can change

the location of Media Cash File. I have a digital hard drive that is

only 250 gigs, so that was a help.

As for project settings, here is what I have

1. I was burning to disc

2. DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc

3.We did wide screen , NTSC, with the quality box unchecked, and this

last time, I did not set to 2 gig, I left it at the lowest level,

knowing that we would finish with a lower quality.

4. I have checked all of the project setting.

5. Time line render quality = draft quality, high speed

6. Video transition = 30

7. Still Image = 150

If there is another file, let me know.

For your knowledge, the last burn took 5 hours for 1:40, one hour and

forty minutes

Thank

Jim

• 13. Re: extremely Slow burning a video with elements 12
                                  A.T. Romano Community Member

Jim

I forgot if I asked before

a. What is the write speed specification for the DVD-burner?

b. What is the speed rating for the DVD disc being used for the burn to?]]

c. Did you add any effects to the Timeline content, especially something like Video Stabilizer?

More later.

ATR

• 14. Re: extremely Slow burning a video with elements 12

We had keyframing as a effect

We had no video stabilizers, I suppose that must be an add on, that is

not on Elements 12, right?

We are using 16 speed write speed

• 15. Re: extremely Slow burning a video with elements 12

Jim,

Which Effect was Keyframed, and was that one of the Fixed Effects, such as Opacity, or an Applied Effect?

The write speed, media max speed and multi-drive/burner speed are but a tiny portion of the process, and while those can be measured, they are very, very far behind the Transcoding process for the Clips on the Timeline. Compared to the Transcoding operation, the physical Burn is probably less than 1 - 2% of the total process, or a few minutes at the slowest.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: extremely Slow burning a video with elements 12

Thanks Bill for your reply:

The KeyFraming was for one minute using the motion for a sixty second

opener.

Thanks for help with this puzzle:-)

Jim

>

<http://forums.adobe.com/message/6189079#6189079

• 17. Re: extremely Slow burning a video with elements 12

Jim,

Thank you for that information. With the Fixed Effects, such as Motion>Position (or Motion>Scale), the additional processing time is quite small. As ATR mentioned, Stabilizer can take quite a bit more processing time, as can some 3rd party Effects, such as Neat Video.

While one could possibly measure the difference in time, with those Keyframes to Position, a user would not likely ever notice the difference between having added them, or not.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 18. Re: extremely Slow burning a video with elements 12

Thanks Bill:

I don't usually have this problem. This is just strange.

Can I ask question that is probably not relevant, 1, Can we look at the

Avast software that I have recently installed.

Something I never said seen before until a couple weeks ago. Some times,

I can't get to the internet. It takes a long time just to see google, hummm?

Question: What about cash files: Will it make a difference in Elements

12 if I begin to save my cash files in a external drive. I have a

digital drive, and it keeps getting full very fast.

Thanks

Jim

<http://forums.adobe.com/message/6189126#6189126

• 19. Re: extremely Slow burning a video with elements 12

One more question please. Is it necessary that I render before burning?

How much of a difference would that make?

Thanks

>

<http://forums.adobe.com/message/6189126#6189126

• 20. Re: extremely Slow burning a video with elements 12

Jim,

Real-time, active-scanning anti-virus software can hold up things badly, to the point of causing "time outs' with many programs. Those "lock" files, on read, or write, and scan those files, before turning them loose. With AV files, which are very large, and 99.99% benign, this can cause all sorts of issues.

When editing, I strongly recommend that one turn OFF such software, and just not have any Internet presence, during the editing session. Then, when done, turn them back ON, before doing e-mails, or browsing the Internet.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 21. Re: extremely Slow burning a video with elements 12

Agreed , Thanks Bill

<http://forums.adobe.com/message/6190260#6190260