12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2014 3:57 PM by Dirttracker86

Workstation Motherboards

Martin Douglas Level 2

just wondering if anyone had any experience with the Intel W2600CR2 motherboard in comparison with the Asus Z9PE-D8 WS

Is one any better than the other.

Features wise they seem pretty similar except for the extra ram slots on the Intel (which I would probably never need)

Here is the spec I have been quoted

Thanks

Martin

2 Intel Xeon E5-2680V2 2.80Ghz 25MB Cache LGA2011

1 Intel W2600CR2 Motherboard

4 Crucial CT204872BB160B 16GB DDR3-1600 ECC Registered

2 Noctua NH-U12DXi4 Ultra Quiet Xeon CPU Cooler

2 Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SATA3 SSD (MZ-7PD256B)

1 Western Digital Caviar Black WD3003FZEX 3TB 64MB Cache

1 Intel AXXRSBBU9 RAID Smart Battery

1 Intel RS25DB080 1GB embedded memory 8xSAS/SATA RAID

8 Western Digital WD RE 2TB SATA Hard Drive ( WD2000FYYZ)

1 ASUS BW-16D1HT PRO 16x Blu-ray Writer

1 Corsair AX1200i Digital 1200W Modular Power Supply 80Plus Pl

1 Nanoxia Deep Silence 6 Full Tower - Black

1 ASUS GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD5 Overclocked 3GB GDDR5

1 Microsoft Windows Pro 8.1 64Bit (Full Version) - OEM

• 1. Re: Workstation Motherboards
          Dirttracker86 Level 1

Wow Martin,

I was just about to post the same thing, except using 3820's or 3970's. Just saw the Asus board on newegg about an hour ago. Never knew it existed. Anyone have any thoughts or knowledge on these ? Looks like they would be the real deal for video editing.   Oops, I mean 3930's

Mark

• 2. Re: Workstation Motherboards
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Definitely get the Asus board. By far the best Dual Xeon board out right now.

Eric

ADK

• 3. Re: Workstation Motherboards
              Dirttracker86 Level 1

Thanks Eric,

Any advanteges or differences using Xeon or i7's ? There are some really cheap prices on Xeon's at amazon.

• 4. Re: Workstation Motherboards
                Dirttracker86 Level 1

Hey Martin,

I pushed the button to say that Eric was helpful, I didnt realize it would put a change on your post. I am really sorry, not trying to take over your post. This website is so new and confusing to me that I mess up at every turn. Again, really sorry. I can start a new threa if you want, but figured your probably wanting to know these answers as much as me.

Mark

• 5. Re: Workstation Motherboards

The Xeons have more cache, cores, and options for Reg ram if you need 16GB sticks. I say get the Xeons.

Eric
                  ADK

• 6. Re: Workstation Motherboards

Get the 4930K and not the 3930K.

Eric

ADK

• 7. Re: Workstation Motherboards
                      Dirttracker86 Level 1

Great, Thanks again Eric !!!. i guess next question would be what Xeon is eqivilent to a 4930k ? I have two P9X79 Pro boards I can sell and buy the D8 but before I do, are there any negatives to the D8 over the X79 Pro ?  Strictly Adobe CC and Sony Vegas and their sidekicks. No games, no internet, no anything but Video Editing only.

• 8. Re: Workstation Motherboards
                        JEShort01 Level 4

Mark (Dirttracker86),

The original poster is talking about running dual Xeon CPUs. And, you can only use Xeon CPUs that are rated for this service.

It sounds like you are new to this and when you start pricing the Xeons you may very likely be back to focusing on a X79 board. To gain double the speed of a single 4930k processor the cost for the cpus goes up about 7 fold ($600 vs $4200+).

Regards,

Jim

• 9. Re: Workstation Motherboards

I wouldn't bother with the D8 unless you plan to get the 8 Core Xeons. Anything less is pointless. You would be better served by the single 12 Core Xeon.

Eric

ADK

• 10. Re: Workstation Motherboards
                            Dirttracker86 Level 1

Yes, Eric and Jim, u are correct, I'm as green and slow as they get. LOL. And THANK YOU both for the advice and help. !!! and here comes another question. What about two 4930's in the D8 ? I will be ready to buy one in about a month and a half from now. I could install that, sell my 3820, and put that money towards a second 4930. Just trying to weight all my options. I dont have a large sum of cash all at once, but I have a small, constant , that I set aside each month for doing this. Thought the D8 board might a good one to continue to build on with the duel cpu slots and spaced out Pci-e cards and all. The x79 pro is an awsome board , but only so much u can put on it. And now is a good crossroads for me, I can either continue with what I have and hit the limit of the single processor, or, I can change boards and continue toward a duel cpu setup. If the D8 is a good board for video editing. I didnt even know it existed untill here lately. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.  I have a feeling with 4K banging at the door, we gonna need all the processing power we can get. And Martin, let me know if you want me to start my own thread, dont mean to take over yours.

Mark

Also Eric and Jim, would hit the buttons to give u guys the thumbs up and points, but this is Martins thread and dont feel that is proper for me to do so. But I can give ya a big shout out of thanks for all the help !!!!!!!!!!!!

• 11. Re: Workstation Motherboards

I would still wait for the upgrade until you can get atleast a single 8 Core Xeon CPU 3GHz or over. You can run 1 CPU on the D8 board for now and add a 2nd later. Only half the ram slots are active along with half the PCI-E slots. Otherwise I would stay with the single board and just get the 1x 4930K. Remember the Xeons have the extra QPI speed for the communication between the CPU's to synchronize and moderate. I am not even sure 2x 4930K's will work on a D8 though I had seen online stuff about people doing that. The Xeons are Intel's only CPU's for 2 socket configurations. Since it sounds like you are relatively unsure of configurations I would not suggest walking into a unsupported configuration yourself.

Eric

ADK

• 12. Re: Workstation Motherboards
                                Dirttracker86 Level 1

Gotcha !!! , Thank u Eric !!!!! That information really sheds light on the subject. In my case the best route to go is like you said, stay with the x79 for now. Thanks a ton for the info ! is the 4930 about the best bang for the buck right now ? I have about a month and a half before purchase, anything I should be looking out for, future wise ? And like momma says, slap me upside the head if im asking to many questions. LOL