10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2014 10:22 AM by jessicaStudent

Why won't ID open on my New Mac Pro?

Cygnata Level 1

I just got the New Mac Pro and I already own Adobe's CS5 Master Collection. I tried to install some of the apps, using a usb superdrive tonight. The apps I checked to install were Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Encore. After installation completed I opened and briefly ran each program successfully, except for InDesign, which fails to open, goes from bouncing in the dock to bringing up the logo/credit screen briefly, to crashing and generating a crash report to Apple with the associated crash info. I am running the current version of Mavericks(OS 10.9.2), and the Mac Pro is a 2013/14 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 Processor with 64 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC Memory, dual 27-inch Apple LED Cinema Displays(2560 x 1440), dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB graphics. The storage capacity on the SSD is 1TB(max), with approximately 599.61 avaliable. I could not find a similar issue or even any issue about InDesign crashing on any New Mac Pro, or for that matter any associated issue on these forums involving previous versions of the Creative Suite(using disc installation) prior to the inception of Adobe's Creative Cloud program, for comparison. In fact most of what I found assured me that there would be no issue with Mavericks with CS5, because even though it is no longer officially supported, in theory the legacy software should function in new architecture, as long as you are running Mavericks(the current OS). I will try and include a screenshot of the generated crash log to Apple down below.Screen Shot 2014-03-05 at 9.08.49 PM.png

• 1. Re: Why won't ID open on my New Mac Pro?
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Did you migrate or did you install the program? Only installing from the original installer will be successful (but it is ok to copy it before on a different medium because of the lack of a CD drive). Die you upgrade your InDesign to the latest available update of your version?

But I am not sure if CS5 is running anyway with your OS because Maverick has not been around when CS5 was developed so it is not an proved OS for that version.

• 2. Re: Why won't ID open on my New Mac Pro?
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Your crash report is typical of the installer not setting the permission correctly on the preferences folders. You can find the default paths to these folders in Replace Your Preferences

Installing on an external drive is NOT, by the way, a supported method, as far as I know, and may be complicating the situation. ID does need to write files on the hard drive.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Why won't ID open on my New Mac Pro?
              Cygnata Level 1

Hello Peter,

I went ahead and followed the instructions at the link for Replacing my Preferences for InDesign at the prompt, and right after it confirmed it was done, the program crashed and generated a new crash log report to Apple(seen below):

Screen Shot 2014-03-06 at 10.25.48 AM.png

If I cannot use an external drive to install my software onto my Mac Pro, than how would you suggest I do it?

• 4. Re: Why won't ID open on my New Mac Pro?
                Cygnata Level 1

Hello Willi,

InDesign was installed, via a usb Superdrive, as I stated previously, onto my New Mac Pro. How can I upgrade to the latest possible version of the program if every time I try and open the program, it crashes?

• 5. Re: Why won't ID open on my New Mac Pro?
                  Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You don't have to open the program to update it. And you might want to make sure that you have the permissions set properly on the folders you found above. Find the hidden folders in MacHD/Users/<yourname>/Library and make sure that permissions are set to Read/Write for the user as well as the administrator.

• 6. Re: Why won't ID open on my New Mac Pro?
                    Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

YOu can get the downloads from here without opening any program:

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates.html

• 7. Re: Why won't ID open on my New Mac Pro?
                      Cygnata Level 1

The issue has now been resolved by a professional IT person. Thanks for all the help trying to figure this out. It wasn't any of the solutions anyone listed here that worked in the end.

• 8. Re: Why won't ID open on my New Mac Pro?
                        Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

First, I said the permissions on the folders were set incorrectly, not that you should replace the prefernces. The link was there to show you the paths tothe two folders where the prefernces need to be written, and which I believe were not accessible to ID. In reading your further posts it seems I may have misinterpreted the information about the external drive. I thought you meant youwer installing the programs onto the external drive, not running the installer from the external drive. That would not normally be a problem.

Second, when you report a problem has been solved, it would be really helpful to other users who might find the thread in future if you tell us what the correct solution was.

• 9. Re: Why won't ID open on my New Mac Pro?
                          Cygnata Level 1

I apologize for not leaving the procedure that worked for me in my case, which may not work for others, but I will leave it now. The reason you did not see it in the previous "resolved" post, was that my area was affected by an outage that took out my Internet, TV, and Phone. Thus, I was not able to log back in to finish a post that would have had a helpful bit of advice at the end. Here I will clarify what was done by the IT person to solve this issue. The correct path for destroying the offending preferences was done so like this - HD/Users/[HOME]/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/. Once this was discarded the program was able to start successfully. I don't believe one of the posts actually outlined this path in quite this way, which would have been ultimately more helpful than trying to decifer links and all the information contained in the link, and experimenting with multiple paths. But thanks for the articles.

• 10. Re: Why won't ID open on my New Mac Pro?
                            jessicaStudent

Thanks very much for adding this last post.  It was the same as my problem!  Uninstalling, reinstalling and removing other folders didn't work, but removing the preference folder under Users/[HOME]/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/ worked great!

1 person found this helpful