6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 5, 2014 8:12 PM by Ori246813579 RSS

how to fix snow

Ori246813579

I have a snow landscape photograph where there are some spots without snow which I think would look better with snow.

What technique (other than clone tool) can I use to "add" snow to these bare spots?

Ideas most appreciated.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: how to fix snow
          ssprengel MVP

Wait until next winter and reshoot?

The clone and the heal tool are what LR has to fill in areas of an image with other areas of an image. 

Is the problem that you can’t cover over the snow without dark areas showing through, or that there isn’t enough snow to overlay the non-snow areas without the duplication of areas being obvious?

• 2. Re: how to fix snow
            Trevor.Dennis MVP

I'd use Google Images to search for Snowscapes or Snow scenes.  That would either give me an idea on what I would need to create by way of texture and shadows and hightlights, or if I use the search tools to find large images, it would give me a source to clone from.

• 3. Re: how to fix snow
              Ori246813579 Community Member

<Wait until next winter and reshoot?>

This is the first time in 15 years this place has been accessible with snow on teh ground! Waiting longer would be ... disappointing.

<...there isn’t enough snow to overlay the non-snow areas without the duplication of areas being obvious?>

That's it.

• 4. Re: how to fix snow
                ssprengel MVP

As Trevor might have been suggesting, about the only thing to do would be to create a larger image as a composite, using some other tool, from your image and one from the internet with alot of similar-looking snow, then you can import that composite into LR and use the other image as the source for the snow.

• 5. Re: how to fix snow
                  Trevor.Dennis MVP

Something you could try if you are reasonably skilled with masks and brush control is to make templates that follow the contors of the terrain, and in a new layer, paint black for shadows and white for highlights with a fully soft brush.  Then turn that layer off, and paint in the snow in a layer between the BG and B&W layer, with an off-white brush (About 240, 240, 240).  Now turn the B&W layer back on and set its blend mode to Overlay. 

• 6. Re: how to fix snow
                    Ori246813579 Community Member

Thank you, ssprengel and Trevor Dennis.

You gave me some good ideas.  I might actually try a combination - find or shoot an all-snow photo, use it as layer and use a mask to paint in from this new layer selectively.

Thank you.