4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2014 7:56 AM by Gaius Coffey

Documentation again! Error codes. Anybody? 2111

Gaius Coffey Level 2

Hi,

So, I have a server-side script error InDesign 2111 to resolve... Only I can't find _anywhere_ that lists InDesign error codes or their meanings.

I am _certain_ there is a very useful document out there somewhere, but it is opaque to google...

Please can somebody point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

G

• 1. Re: Documentation again! Error codes. Anybody? 2111
          Dirk Becker Level 4

For further analysis, write the properties of the error object to your log file / ESTK console / whatever.

E.g.

try { ...} catch( ex ) { for( n in ex ) $.writeln(n,"=",ex[n] ); }

Could it be that this is an error by the OS or any other subsystem (database, other connectivity) ?

Assuming an InDesign Error ID, those are allocated in the ID space of plugins. The same plugin should also provide a matching string and may even fill in placeholders in that string - as delivered in the alert or the one of the properties of the exception. That's the theory.

If you have the plugin SDK, you'd search for the 63th error in the header file for prefix 8, because 8*256+63=2111. That would be the file LayoutID.h . Unfortunately that file does not provide any error ID at all, and when I force that error myself there is also no string provided. I did not try InDesign Server, though.

Another place to look is the server's system output, which is separate from script accessible areas. Ask your admins to watch out for system log entries, and/or configure the server startup so that stderr output ends up in a file. On OSX refer to the man page for launchd, especially StandardErrorPath.

If you're lucky and have deployed on a Mac, make yourself familiar with dtrace or the Instruments application. There you can watch out for system calls that produce any error code, search for the 2111 and try to make sense from stack frames. On Windows, the SysInternals program may have similar tools.

Dirk

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Documentation again! Error codes. Anybody? 2111
            Gaius Coffey Level 2

Er wow, thanks, Dirk. I think I got something of an education there! The error number thing makes a lot of sense.

The error is from InDesign server, and a bit more digging through the logs produced the actual error string (something about the paste board) and the customer's files also turned up, so we were able to replicate the error pretty convincingly. Made it a lot easier. Looks like some simple maths errors with repositioning.

All the same, it seems like a lot of effort to find the cause when, for actionscript, there are pages like this : http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlatform/reference/actionscript/3/runtimeErrors.html

Thanks again,

G

• 3. Re: Documentation again! Error codes. Anybody? 2111
              Dirk Becker Level 4

Well, as you found out usually you don't need all those steps. It is just sometimes good to know them so you can digg deeper even with a faceless server.

i just wonder why my attempt to produce an error string from your error code has yielded nothing. Anyway I'm glad you solved your problem.

Dirk

• 4. Re: Documentation again! Error codes. Anybody? 2111
                Gaius Coffey Level 2

Found it.

The reason why you weren't seeing the error message? It isn't an InDesign error code, but a server error code to indicate that there has been an InDesign error code... The InDesign error code had been suppressed when writing it out to the logs.