9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2014 4:55 PM by A.T. Romano

When capturing video; how do I get rid of the green lines at the bottom of the frame?

s.haider

When capturing video; How do I get rid of the green lines at the bottom of the frame?

• 1. Re: When capturing video; how do I get rid of the green lines at the bottom of the frame?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Can you let us know a bit more, please?

1. What exactly are you Capturing?
          2. What is the exact method that you are using to do the Capture?
          3. Could you post a screen-cap, showing this green line? It sounds like a mis-alignment of the heads on a VCR, and that can be handled in PrE, but before we go into that, in case that is not the issue, if we can see what you are referring to, it will be far easier.
          4. What version of PrE are you using?
          5. What OS version are you running?
          6. What is your Project's setting?

Good luck, and we will be watching for that information.

Hunt

• 2. Re: When capturing video; how do I get rid of the green lines at the bottom of the frame?
            s.haider Level 1

1.  We are just capturing video with a Canon ZR950 digital video camera.

2.  The software is loaded NTSC

3.  We are running Adobe Premiere Elements 8

4.  We are running windows 7 32 bit

5.  Project settings are NTSC-DV Standard 48kHz

6.  Getting the Media with WDM Devicevideo capture problem.jpg

7.  FYI the WDM device works if I use a different video editing software, so I know the drivers are all correct for that.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

• 3. Re: When capturing video; how do I get rid of the green lines at the bottom of the frame?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Wow, that is major video noise!

Now, the Dazzle is a tough unit to work with. It is usually shipped with some version of Pinnacle's Studio, or similar software. I would strongly recommend using the included software, to Capture to a DV-AVI file w/ PCM/WAV Audio @ 48KHz 16-bit, and then Importing that into PrE for editing.

I say that the Dazzle is a "tough unit to work with," because one sees so many posts on the Pinnacle forum, that so many users cannot get it to run properly, even WITH the Pinnacle software. For a bit, Pinnacle dropped the Dazzle, but I think that it's back in the Pinnacle lineup.

Good luck, and please let us know if using the Pinnacle software, and then the Import into PrE works for you.

Hunt

• 4. Re: When capturing video; how do I get rid of the green lines at the bottom of the frame?
                nealeh Level 5

My recollection is that Pinnacle put some proprietary code into their capture devices so that they only work with their own software.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 5. Re: When capturing video; how do I get rid of the green lines at the bottom of the frame?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

That is new info to me, but then I never used a Dazzle, but it explain a lot. I only remember the 100's (1000's?) of posts to the old Pinnacle Studio Forum, regarding myriad problems getting the units to work with the Pinnacle software. Back then, the bundle was the Dazzle and Pinnacle Studio (several versions), but I think that Pinnacle began doing the bundle with other, similar software from the Pinnacle line up. Probably when they brought the Dazzle back.

If that proprietary aspect is correct (and I believe you completely), then it would definitely rely on bundled software for the Capture. One trick might be which formats/CODEC's are available in the Pinnacle Capture software. As Pinnacle Studio worked well with DV-AVI II files, I would hope that that is an option.

Thanks for the info.

Hunt

• 6. Re: When capturing video; how do I get rid of the green lines at the bottom of the frame?
                    s.haider Level 1

We have also tried  a Star Tech device and we get the same effect with the green lines.

• 7. Re: When capturing video; how do I get rid of the green lines at the bottom of the frame?
                      nealeh Level 5

Have you tried switching the USB cable and using a different USB input on the computer?

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 8. Re: When capturing video; how do I get rid of the green lines at the bottom of the frame?
                        nealeh Level 5

Bill Hunt wrote:

That is new info to me, but then I never used a Dazzle,

Me neither but, as I said, it is a recollection only and I can't honestly back it up as fact. However a quick Google suggests that I'm not alone in thinking that is the case. But since s.haider is getting the same issue with a different capture device there must be other factors in play here.

My own personal experience with PRE has always been via Firewire and so problem free. The USB Capture device I once had (a Magix product) I always used with the Magix software and that worked well provided I switched off the 'intelligent audio sync' feature - that actually introduced sync errors!

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale

• 9. Re: When capturing video; how do I get rid of the green lines at the bottom of the frame?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

s.haider

You have Canon ZR950 mini DV Camcorder, why not make a firewire connection and do DV data capture into the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 Capture Window?

Do you have any reference for what you are attempting to do or is this a creation of your own? Could you confirm what you describe as "just capturing video".

a. From your information, you are doing Get Media/Webcam or WDM Device with the Capture Window showing the Capturing Device as "Dazzle DVD 100 Video Device". What type of connection are you making between the Canon ZR950 and the Dazzle DVD 100 and the computer?

b. What exactly do you expect to be putting on the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 Timeline from this capture...DV AVI or something else?

Coming from the perspective of Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 known issues, I would ask you to consider:

a. Remove the check mark next to AutoAnalyzer in the Capture window. Even if you were doing this Capture the "usual way", that is highly recommended.

b. Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General, and compare your results with and without a check mark next to enable GPU playback. As a cross reference, please go to Edit Header/Effects/Video Effects and detemine if there is a category of Effects named GPU Effects. Do the same thing for Edit Header/Transitions/Video Transitions and determine if there is a category of Transitions named GPU Transitions.

And, the general drill for all users of Premiere Elements 8.0

a. Are you working with the automatic Background Rendering and AutoAnalzyer Features turned Off?

See Premiere Elements workspace Edit Menu/Preferences/General for background rendering option and Elements Organizer workspace Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoAnalzyer Options for AutoAnalzyer options.

b. Are you working from the 8.0.1 Update version of the program?

Please consider.

We will be watching for the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR