4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2014 2:19 PM by A.T. Romano

Windows 8.1 update messed up premiere elements?

TanjaSRJ

I (unfortunately) updated to windows 8.1 yesterday, and my editor got messed up.

I usually run windows 8.0 together with premiere elements 9.0 with no problems, but now the layout/graphics of the timeline is messed up everytime I drag a clip to it (you can't see the tracks,. instead it shows a zoomed in picture of the time-marker)

When moving the mouse over that area I get lines on the timeline as well, and when moving around a few clips I have to zoom in and out to be able to see anything.

does premiere elements 9.0 not work with windows 8.1? would it help upgrading to premiere elements 11/12 etc?

• 1. Re: Windows 8.1 update messed up premiere elements?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What MAY have happened is the Win8.1 update made your graphics adapter driver "obsolete"

What is your exact brand/model graphics adapter (ATI or nVidia or ???)

What is your exact graphics adapter driver version?

Have you gone to the vendor web site to check for a newer driver?

For Windows, do NOT rely on Windows Update to have current driver information

-you need to go direct to the vendor web site and check updates for yourself

ATI Driver Autodetect http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

nVidia Driver Downloads http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

• 2. Re: Windows 8.1 update messed up premiere elements?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

TanjaSRJ

Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 works fine with Windows 8.1 64 bit. But, it will be a 32 bit application running in the 32 bit compatiblity mode of the 64 bit system.

It is only Premiere Elements 10, 11, and 12 that are 64 bit applications running specifically in Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

But your issue appears to be one of display problems. Are you running Premiere Elements 9 as the 9.0.1 Update? Version 9 was distinguished for its display issues more so than other versions. Please install the 9.0.1 Update if you have not already.

The first line of troubleshooting is to assure that you have the latest version of the video card/graphics card driver according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card (or, if more appropriate, according to the web site of the manufacturer of the computer). If the driver is up to date, then delete the Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 Bad Drivers.txt file.

The Windows 8.1 64 bit path to it is

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 9.0 Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete.

After you close out of there and open a Premiere Elements project, the program will generate a new BadDrivers.txt file and hopefully the problem is gone.

Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path.

The rationale behind the deletion of the BadDrivers.txt file is found in post 10 of this older thread on the subject

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/732067

The concept of the BadDrivers.txt file and its indication have been a life saver for many, even for those who have versions of Premiere Elements other than 9.0/9.0.1.

Please review and then let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Windows 8.1 update messed up premiere elements?
              TanjaSRJ Level 1

Thank you so much for your suggestions

- I found the problem, when installing 8.1 the screen display is changing to a zoom of 125% only needed to change this to 100%.

• 4. Re: Windows 8.1 update messed up premiere elements?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

TanjaSRJ

Thanks for the good news of your success. Great troubleshooting.

Continued success.

ATR