I'm pretty confused by your post. I say that because while there have certainly been changes between RoboHelp versions, there is nothing that restricts anything as you seem to be describing.
Perhaps it will help if you could share some screen captures. For example, you talk about being forced to use a Field that auto fills.
So if you are able, give us some screen captures to help us better visualize what is happening.
Thanks for the quick response and sorry for the confusion! I have provided an image with big numbers and I will walk you through each.
- The left shows the Topic, a pop up, that I will duplicate from. The right blue picture is the content on the topic.
- I have clicked to create a duplicate called Alpha Code 2 using no template.
- There is the new Alpha Code 2 topic and the blue right shows that I have edited the content on the new topic (Alpha Code 2)
- I am attempting to link from a separate topic to the new topic as a pop up. So, this image shows some basic text that will be the clickable pop up (test) that I will highlight and drag and drop Alpha Code 2 ontop of to create the link.
- Shows the hyperlink page. As you can see, although I am on Alpha Code 2, the preview window shows the data that is on Alpha Code (the topic i duplicated from). It is like that no matter what I click, New page, As pop Up, preset dimension pop up. If I go back and look at the Alpha Code 2 topic, it looks like it does in picture 3. Why?
Is this behaviour acting the same in one of the sample projects?
My guess is that you haven't yet saved the topic. When you create the popup link, the preview will be showing what the topic looks like on disk. You can confirm by looking at the topic tab. It will likely have an asterisk next to it, indicating it is dirty and hasn't been saved yet.
Try clicking File > Save All and see if that fixes it.
WOW! It was that simple? Yes, there was an asterisk on the topic tab. I saved, and voila! Asterisk gone, and now it links appropriately. This feature was not in RoboHelp 6. If we created a topic and linked, it was immediately visible in preview and we could test functionality prior to saving. In my mind that was better as we could undo if it did not look the way we wanted prior to saving.
You are a gentleman and a scholar, sir! Thank you for the help.
Well, unfortunately I no longer have RoboHelp 6 to test. But as far as I remember it's always worked this way.
Glad you got it sorted!