17 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2016 5:20 AM by Steve Grisetti

Valid Serial number called invalid during installation.

pargal22x13

After a fresh load on my computer, I uninstalled and was reinstalling my boxed Pre. Elements 8, when I got a message that the SN was invalid during the installation. The serial number entered is printed on the box, and was previously working.  I would like to get my program working again. I appreciate any help. The chat people sent me to the forum, and visa versa.

• 1. Re: Valid Serial number called invalid during installation.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

When  you say "fresh load" do you mean that you installed a new operating system?

If so, the program may think you're trying to install the program on another computer.

You'll need to contact Adobe Customer Service and ask them to reactivate the password, if that's the case.

But before you call, make sure there's no typo in the serial number you're typing in -- and that you aren't trying to use the Photoshop Elements serial number to activate Premiere Elements.

• 2. Re: Valid Serial number called invalid during installation.
            A.T. Romano Level 7

pargal22x13

We seem to be in a no win situation here. Please reference back to your post on this same matter.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/6183577#6183577

In the thread cited above. In that thread you were referred to Adobe Chat for resolution of what had the appearance of a serial number activation problem.

In that other thread, I mentioned to you that Adobe Chat should handle a version 8.0/8.0.1 activation issue but not a troubleshooting issue related to a non current version. Under the circumstances, what was Adobe Chat's exact excuse for not being able to resolve your serial number problem?

In the thread of another, one way to troubleshoot was to download tryout files for the version involved and insert your purchased serial number in it. That worked fine for that user (I believe version 9 or higher was involved). Unfortuately, the web site that is making available old tryouts does not have any for versions earlier than 9.

Please review the comments of SG.

Please let us know the details of your contact with Adobe Chat. Did you ask for a supervisor?

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Valid Serial number called invalid during installation.
              pargal22x13 Level 1

I have talked to Adobe Chat twice. The first time, after more than 30 minutes of questions, they told me to contact Chat again the next day and ask for a technician. I did this the following day, and was told they could not help me, and that I needed to post in the forum and seek help there. It has been like a yo-yo to this point.

In answer to the question asked above, yes it involved a new OS and complete restore of the existing OS. (there are now two HD with XP on one and Win7 on the other.) That is why I was installing the program again. I have not tried to install it on the Win 7 drive, only the XP, which is where it was previously.

It is frustrating to not find an Adobe person to actually assist with the issue, instead of passing me off each time. I really do appreciate any help I get, and thank you for your efforts.

Kathy

• 4. Re: Valid Serial number called invalid during installation.
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Kathy

Adobe is the only one who can make those vital adjustments on their Servers. But, let us see what we can do to workaround this situation.

First let us see how far we get with the Windows XP 32 bit computer and Premiere Elements 8.

a. Do you see any evidence that Premiere Elements 8 is installed on your Windows XP 32 bit computer?

b. If not, then run the computer through the ccleaner program (the regular and registry parts) to get rid of any leftovers from incomplete uninstalls or reinstalls.

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

c. Then try to install the program with the anti-virus and firewalls Off and the Internet connection On and in good working order.

d. Do you get the same Invalid Serial number message during the installation?

If you go to Adobe (http://www.adobe.com) and click on Welcome pargal22x13/My Products, can you find your Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 serial number there and confirm that it is the same one that is giving you the Invalid Serial number message?

Next, go on to Windows 7 64 bit and try for the Premiere Elements 8.0 install there. Do run into the same Invalid Serial Number for the Premiere Elements 8 install also?

Please let us know of your progress.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Valid Serial number called invalid during installation.
                  pargal22x13 Level 1

Thank you for your reply. Instead of troubleshooting the XPdrive, I chose to attempt to install the disc on the Win7 drive. It installed just fine, including the content disc. So, although I wanted to put on the one I had it on previously, at least it is now installed and ready to use.

When I read your reply, I went to the adobe website and went to MyProducts. I found that there are 2 versions of Photoshop Elements, and one of Premiere Elements. One of the SN for Photoshop matches what is on the sticker on the box, but the Premiere Elements SN shown is an earlier version, and this one is not there. It has installed twice before, however, without a problem. And now it would only install on Win7 and not XP. So, I guess I'll be happy that I have it to use, and realize that one day I'll have to break down and purchase the newer version. If there was a more tempting upgrade incentive, I'd be in line to do so, but it's almost like buying for the first time all over again.

In any case, thank you for your time in attempting to solve the problem. It still remains a mystery, but we found a way to work around it apparently.

take care,

Kathy

• 6. Re: Valid Serial number called invalid during installation.
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>upgrade incentive

Historically (from what I have read in previous messages) Adobe offers an upgrade discount in the "early days" of a new version, and then it is back to the full price for the version

If you go to Amazon, the price "today" MAY be lower than direct from Adobe

• 7. Re: Valid Serial number called invalid during installation.
                      pargal22x13 Level 1

Thank you, John. Seems sad, though, that customers can go to another site and get a better deal than they can with Adobe. Adobe ought to reward loyal customers with an upgrade that makes them want to keep up to date and customers of Adobe. Just a thought.

Thanks for the help,

Kathy

• 8. Re: Valid Serial number called invalid during installation.
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

pargal22x13

Great news about Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 getting successfully installed in Windows 7 64 bit.

We might rationale and say Microsoft will be cutting off Windows XP support in a few weeks, but....

My mystery with Elements programs right now is confined to Photoshop Elements 12 Editor. I cannot get it to open in a desktop Windows 7 64 bit computer that I have. I have tried "everything" including updating it from 12 to 12.1 with the 12.1 Update that was released today by Adobe. No go. The Elements Organizer 12 that comes with it works fine. No problems. And, that same serial number for Photoshop Elements 12 and its Elements Organizer 12 can be installed on Windows XP Mode, or another Windows 7 64 bit computer, or a Windows 8.1 computer. (I do keep the activation count to 2 for this purchased serial number).

One of these days I hope to find the answer. But for now I move on. These whys and why nots are disturbing.

Best wishes with your projects.

ATR

Add On...In my opinion, do not be lured on to "later" version even if it sounds like an offer you cannot refuse. If you have a video editor that meets your video editing needs and is working for you, stay with it until it no longer does.

• 9. Re: Valid Serial number called invalid during installation.
                          pargal22x13 Level 1

Thanks for the advice regarding not upgrading until absolutely necessary. Guess that's what I'm trying to do, still working with version 8! I do wish it would install on the XP, but oh well.

Hope you get your problem solved. Not having the editor is not good at all. Good luck with it.

take care,

Kathy

• 10. Re: Valid Serial number called invalid during installation.
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Kathy

Thanks for the reply.

Just a quick question. Have you done a survey on that Windows XP computer to try to find any 3rd party plug-ins or codecs that you might have added to that computer?

ATR

• 11. Re: Valid Serial number called invalid during installation.
                              pargal22x13 Level 1

No, I haven't.

Sent from my iPad

• 12. Re: Valid Serial number called invalid during installation.
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Kathy

While you are checking out any possible conflicting 3rd party plug-ins or codecs, if you have not already, you might want to explore on the Windows XP

a. Video card/graphics card update

b. Windows Updates

ATR

• 14. Re: Valid Serial number called invalid during installation.
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

John

We mentioned this back in post 8

Great news about Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 getting successfully installed in Windows 7 64 bit.

We might rationale and say Microsoft will be cutting off Windows XP support in a few weeks, but....

But, reflecting on the discontinuation of Windows XP by Microsoft, that does not mean that the Windows XP user needs to stop in his or her tracks (in all senses of the word). Windows XP will continue to work in spite of Microsoft comments about possible Security issues. Windows Defender will still work, at latest report. And, my favorite Windows XP Mode will continue to function. So, all is not lost.

ATR

• 15. Re: Valid Serial number called invalid during installation.
                                    richardg79963147 Level 1

What customer service do I call. The only number you can call is for Cloud applications. When I call it they tell me to post in the forum for help.

• 16. Re: Valid Serial number called invalid during installation.
                                      richardg79963147 Level 1

I am having the same problem on my Mac, though the software never was reinstalled on another computer. I installed their Cloud based Indesign and shortly after, my CS4 registered serial number became "Invalid".