15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2006 2:24 PM by 2m

IE display data, but not FF/Opera

timothytrice Level 1
      I've never quite dealt with anything like this before...I'll do my best to explain it.

My Flash file takes info from a DB through PHP and displays them into several different radio buttons. IE displays the information correctly, but FF/Opera do not. I tried using static data, which displays fine in all browsers. But for some reason this dynamic data I'm trying to put into the radiobuttons does not want to display in FF/Opera.

I was told by one individual it could be a font issue. I didn't preload any fonts. Regardless, I kept the radio buttons but used dynamic text fields to display the data. Again, the same exact thing occured. I have the same version of Flash Player installed in all browsers (according to this site).

Can anyone possibly explain to me why this is happening? Again, it's not a question of the data not getting to Flash because it shows up fine in IE. Even if I make changes to the text I want displayed, it shows up correctly for IE, not FF/Opera.

Really hoping someone can put an end to my misery.

Tim Trice
        • 1. Re: IE display data, but not FF/Opera
          Level 7
          > Can anyone possibly explain to me why this is happening? Again, it's not a
          > question of the data not getting to Flash because it shows up fine in IE. Even
          > if I make changes to the text I want displayed, it shows up correctly for IE,
          > not FF/Opera.

Did you embed the font outlines?
          tralfaz

• 2. Re: IE display data, but not FF/Opera
            timothytrice Level 1
            I don't have a clue what you mean by that? I've never had to do anything like that before? I'm using Trebuchet MS...but I've used _sans and _serif and those don't work, either. I don't have a problem with the fonts with any of my other files.

Tim
            • 3. Re: IE display data, but not FF/Opera
              Level 7
              "timothytrice" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message news:e7kkvr$sbm$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >I don't have a clue what you mean by that? I've never had to do anything like
              > that before? I'm using Trebuchet MS...but I've used _sans and _serif and those
              > don't work, either. I don't have a problem with the fonts with any of my other
              > files.
              >
              > Tim

If you use a dynamic text font AND your system has that font AND you don't do any kind of tweening or effects on it, it should
              display ok. If you have the dynamic text moving around or effects on it you need to embed it's font outlines to keep it from
              disappearing. To embed font outlines, open up the properties window for the text and click on the 'character' button. Embed font
              outline.

Hope that helps,
              tralfaz

• 4. Re: IE display data, but not FF/Opera
                timothytrice Level 1
                I'm using a dynamic text field...yes, but I'm not doing anything fancy with it. It's just a poll. I want my radio buttons populated through PHP/DB so I use actionscript to basically instruct PHP to get the question and answers, return, and have actionscript populate the text fields.
                • 5. Re: IE display data, but not FF/Opera
                  Level 7
                  "timothytrice" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message news:e7kqqn$5nh$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > I'm using a dynamic text field...yes, but I'm not doing anything fancy with it.
                  > It's just a poll. I want my radio buttons populated through PHP/DB so I use
                  > actionscript to basically instruct PHP to get the question and answers, return,
                  > and have actionscript populate the text fields.

Embedding the font didn't fix it? Also, make sure you are not using this in your html.. it's real buggy..

wmode = transparent

• 6. Re: IE display data, but not FF/Opera
                    timothytrice Level 1
                    Nope, I'm not trying to do anything fancy with this other than dynamically load the text fields.
                    • 7. Re: IE display data, but not FF/Opera
                      2m Level 2
                      Do you have a link for us to test?
                      • 8. Re: IE display data, but not FF/Opera
                        timothytrice Level 1
                        Sure, you can view it at http://205.234.204.228/. There's no functionality to it past displaying the answers. As you can see, it's a pretty simple deal...all I wanted.

Tim
                        • 9. Re: IE display data, but not FF/Opera
                          2m Level 2
                          Are we talking about the weekly poll?

"What US State is most likely to see a landfalling hurricane?"

If so, none of the three I tested with did show something (IE7 beta2, FF 15., Opera 9) I can do more testing, but please confirm if I'm looking for the right flash
                          • 10. Re: IE display data, but not FF/Opera
                            timothytrice Level 1
                            Yes, you're looking at the right one. I'm using IE6, FF 1.5, Opera 8. But I have the latest version of the Flash player installed on all of these browsers? I thought the good thing about Flash was that you didn't have to worry about different browsers?
                            • 11. Re: IE display data, but not FF/Opera
                              2m Level 2
                              Hi,

it seems you are using the object tag only, which partly works as described here:

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/flashsatay

but to make it work the embed tag or a full implementation of the satay method is needed.
                              • 12. Re: IE display data, but not FF/Opera
                                timothytrice Level 1
                                That still didn't help...I made a new movie and loaded the loadMovie(path, 0) into frame 1 as that page suggested and changed my movie data value to c.swf?path=poll.swf. This is more of a pain in the *** than I could have ever imagined. I wanted to use Flash so that I wouldn't have to redirect users to another page (w/ PHP) and I don't know javascript. Apparently I'm going to have to. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks to all who have helped so far.

Tim
                                • 13. Re: IE display data, but not FF/Opera
                                  2m Level 2
                                  Hi,
                                  Tim, sorry for my last post, obviously you missunderstood me. I didn't mean to tell you to juse the satay method - unless you really want to, if you're looking for an easy solution, just use the standard way Flash does the embeding with object and embed tags. The link was just meant to give you a chance to understand the background if you want to.

It isn't always too easy to determin what it is someone is after, and what the reason ist that he/she uses some solution or the other.
                                  • 14. Re: IE display data, but not FF/Opera
                                    timothytrice Level 1
                                    I hope that I didn't come across as an *** on that last post. It was just getting very frustrating...not that no one seemed to get what I was saying but the sources that I use (such as this website) didn't seem to have any info on my situation. That plus I've spent several days this week dealing with this and it just got the best of me so...yeah, I gave up. I have a PHP-alone script running on it now so I'll just leave it like that.

I do appreciate your help though and others...it's the programming that frustrates me.

Tim Trice
                                    • 15. Re: IE display data, but not FF/Opera
                                      2m Level 2
                                      Hi Tim,

I don't think you came across as an ***! We all had our frustrations so we do understand you (at least I do).
                                      It really was tough luck, first somebody (with the best intentions - I'm sure) brought you on the wrong track with the font thing, and you in turn put others on the same trak by sharing that info.

I'm a bit sorry for you, as you are right, very special issues aside, not having browser trouble is one of the gretest advantages of flash.

If you belive me and are still interested in solving the problem (or understanding it) I can try to explain it to you some time.

Guys like tralfaz and me (and others) try to help, and it isn't alwasy easy to guess with whom we are dealing, you seemed (and I still think you are) quite knowledgeable so we didn't look for the more obvious things.

cu

Markus