20 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2014 5:15 PM by A.T. Romano

Pre12 – unable to burn AVCHD to DVD media

jammin109 Level 1

I'm using Pre 12 with Windows 8, editing AVCHD video, and want to burn AVCHD to DVD disk media (to play on a Blu-ray player).  However, whenever I try Pre12 shows “media not present” as status, despite having a blank DVD in the drive.  But, simply changing from AVCHD to DVD works fine.

Some background:  I’ve been a Premiere Elements user since V1 and after purchasing a HD camera several years ago I’ve burned many short HD videos on DVD media s using Pre 10 and 11 AVCHD format option.  However, that was before converting to a new computer and installing Pre12.

My new computer is a Dell XPS 8700, Win dows 8 64 bit, with an internal Blu-ray Combo Drive (Reads BD and Writes to DVD/CD). The drive shows in Windows Devices as “HL-DT-ST DVDRWBD CH20N”.  It claims to read and write DVD media in either the plus or minus types.  I’ve been using TDK single side DVD + media. I've reported the problem to Dell Technical Support without success.

So, I don’t know if the problem is with my hardware, media, or a bug in Pre12, and would greatly appreciate advice.

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Pre12 – unable to burn AVCHD to DVD media
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Write to a folder on your hard drive and use Imgburn to write the folder to DVD

Read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1322583 for notes on installing Imgburn WITHOUT any toolbar add-ons

• 2. Re: Pre12 – unable to burn AVCHD to DVD media
            A.T. Romano Level 7

jammin109

Those media not present issues are tough to resolve. But, let us see what we can do.

1. Have you tried the Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD and the burn to Folder (4.7 GB). Does that work to give you the computer saved folder which contains the BDMV Folder? If you are in a time crunch, you can get your AVCHD format on DVD disc using the BDMV from the saved folder and the free program named ImgBurn.

2. Have you tried another brand of DVD disc?

3. From what I have read you particular burner is for DVD, not Blu-ray. That is OK since you do not need a Blu-ray burner to produce a Premiere Elements AVCHD format on DVD disc.

4. Do you have or have access to an external DVD burner to use as alternative to your present burner?

We could try for deactivate, uninstall, ccleaner run through regular & registry, reinstall with antivirus and firewalls Off, but I do not think we are ready for that yet. But, it could come to that.

Please review the above and then we can decide what next.

ATR

• 3. Re: Pre12 – unable to burn AVCHD to DVD media
              jammin109 Level 1

Thank you John and A.T. I've followed your suggestions.  Here's the result

1. Yes, Pre12 burns to folder without incident.

2. I downloaded and installed IMGBURN.  And thank you for the link with wanings and instructions to avoid installing extras.  (Their "express install" is to be avoided.  must use "advanced install " multiple times.

3. I used IMGBURN to write the BDMV folder to my DVD media.  Process was a success and I tested DVD by playing in the Blu-ray player attached to my television.

a. I used IMGBURN's "Write files/folders to disc" option

b. Received prompt requesting permission to adjust to "UDF" file setting instead of "ISO9660".  I replied No.  Everything worked fine.  Any benefit to using UDF?

So, thank you very much for the workaround.  I'm a happy camper, but still would like Pre12 to work correctly for me. .I assume this proves that Pre12 has a bug, correct?

• 4. Re: Pre12 – unable to burn AVCHD to DVD media
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Any benefit to using UDF?

I did one test of writing a BluRay folder to DVD to play on my BluRay player attached to my TV... and I honestly can't remember if I let Imgburn change settings or not... so you will have to try another DVD burn and say yes... then tell us if there is a difference when playing on your BluRay player

Communicating with a writer to burn a disc can be "messed up" by several things... other people have reported being able to go direct from Pre12 to a DVD with BluRay, so my GUESS is there is something in your system that is interrupting the burn... below is not about your specific problem, but some ideas if you want to troubleshoot your system (or, just use Imgburn since you know it works)

Things and Software to AVOID when authoring/burning a disc... says Encore, but also applies to Premiere Elements and disc burning

Start --> http://forums.adobe.com/thread/608660

#2 has WHY Explained http://forums.adobe.com/thread/607390

Plus http://forums.adobe.com/thread/562941

• 5. Re: Pre12 – unable to burn AVCHD to DVD media
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

jammin109

Great news of your success with burn to folder (4.7 GB) for AVCHD DVD route.

The disc file system is important to the playback on certain players such as PS3, maybe others.

In November 2013 I wrote about all this in a thread here on AVCHD DVD and Premiere Elements 10.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5930136

I will update my comments in that thread in your thread by tomorrow.

If you have not already, please work through my suggestions in post 2 of your thread so that we can try to find a fix for the AVCHD burn to DVD issues. Now we know that the program is working via your burn to folder data.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 6. Re: Pre12 – unable to burn AVCHD to DVD media
                    jammin109 Level 1

Thanks again John and A.T.  I'll be away all next week, but when I return will try some of the other suggestions and post my results.  Will try writing to a different brand of media (with "minus" style).  Also, I've ordered an external Blu-ray burner (Asus, USB3), so anxious to try it as well. Finally, will research the suggested topics.

• 7. Re: Pre12 – unable to burn AVCHD to DVD media
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

jammin109

Sounding excellent.

Looking forward to the results.

Your AVCHD DVD data will be a good contribution to the Premiere Elements community.

Thanks again.

ATR

• 8. Re: Pre12 – unable to burn AVCHD to DVD media
                        jammin109 Level 1

just installed latest Pre 12 update (12.1) hoping for resolution to my AVCHD burn to DVD media problem.  Alas, problem still presists Arghhhh!

• 9. Re: Pre12 – unable to burn AVCHD to DVD media
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

jammin109

Sorry the news was not better. Good try.

Hoping that the other plans mentioned will do the job.

ATR

• 10. Re: Pre12 – unable to burn AVCHD to DVD media
                            jammin109 Level 1

This is a belated follow-up to my original post

1. Have now tried burning AVCHD on DVD “dash” media (previously the error was reported using DVD “plus”).  Result was unsuccessful and same as with DVD “plus” – Pre 1.2 reports “Media not present”.
                            2. Have purchased and installed an Asus, USB3 external Blu-ray burner and it works fine with Pre 12.1 writing AVCHD on both DVD- and DVD+ media

As previously mentioned, I was successful using Pre 12.1 to write AVCHD  files to a DVD folder and then burn to DVD media on my internal DVD drive using IMGBURN.  So I conclude that my internal DVD drive is ok, and that somehow Pre 12.1 doesn’t recognize it.

Now for a new problem that’s perhaps related – I am unable to burn DVD format on DVD media using HD video on timeline  Have tried using both of my burners - the built in internal burner that Windows reports as “HL-DT-ST DVDRWBD CH20N”, and also my new external Asus burner that Windows reports as “ASUS BW-12D1S-U USB Device”.  In all cases Pre 12.1 throws the error message “No burners detected.”  I know that this feature worked just fine in Pre 12.0 as I previously burned several DVD format DVDs from HD video using my internal burner.  So, perhaps this is a regression bug?.

• 11. Re: Pre12 – unable to burn AVCHD to DVD media
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

jammin109

Thanks for the update. Good news that Premiere Elements recognized the replacement burner before the 12.1 Update.

Please confirm the latest developments...now working from the 12.1 Update

You get "burner not recognized" for new external or old internal burner with

a. HD Timeline content to DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc

but what about

b. SD Timeline content to DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen on DVD disc

Is the burn to AVCHD format on DVD disc affected by any of these latest developments?

Let us try deleting the settings file

Please remind me what computer operating system your Premiere Elements 12.1 is running on. For now, I am going to assume Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit. Therefore....

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Make sure that you are working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

I am trying to avoid having to uninstall reinstall to determine if 12 to 12.1 is at the core of this latest development.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: Pre12 – unable to burn AVCHD to DVD media
                                jammin109 Level 1

Thanks A.T.

I'm using Premiere elements 12.1 as verified in HELP - About

Operating environment is Window 8.1, 64 bit with plenty of horsepower (Intel Core i7-4770 @3.4 GHz and 32 GB memory)

Have run tests in both standard definition (but not wide screen), and HD (once with 1080i from Canon video camera, and again with 720p from Apple iPhone 5s)

Results are the same.  i also repeated tests after deleting the "Adobe Premiere Elements Pref" file and there was no change in the results (Thanks BTW for pointer to view hidden files!). 

For my burn to DVD media tests, DVD - "dash" media was present in both optical drives.  For burn to Blu-ray meda tests, Blu-ray meda was present in Drive F: (Blu-ray burner), and DVD - "dash" media present in Drive E; (DVD burner).

Table below summarizes my results

Source VideoSDSDSDHDHDHD
                                Task:Burn DVDBurn AVCHD (to DVD media)Burn Blu-ray (to Blu-ray Media)Burn DVDBurn AVCHD (to DVD media)Burn Blu-ray (to Blu-ray Media)
                                Status/ResultNo burners detectedNo burners detected
                                Optical Drive E:
                                Internal DVD Writer
                                Media not presentBurner loacation N/AMedia not presentBurner loacation N/A
                                Optical Drive F:
                                External USB 3 Blu-ray  Writer
                                ReadyIncompatible disc (with DVD media), Ready with Blu-ray media)ReadyReady

Message was edited by: jammin109

• 13. Re: Pre12 – unable to burn AVCHD to DVD media
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

jammin109

Thanks for the reply.

This is what I would like you to do....have the internal burner as the only enabled burner.

a. Open Premiere Elements 12.1 Expert workspace, go to Help Menu/Sign Out (that will deactivate the program). Close Premiere Elements.

b. Go to Control Panel/Uninstall Premiere Elements 12 (that should take along with it the 12.1 Update).

c. Do a ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry one)

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

d. Reinstall Premiere Elements 12 with antivirus and firewalls turned off.

e. Open a new project and take the Timeline content (SD or HD) to DVD-VIDEO on DVD-R disc (Verbatim brand if you can). Does that work?

If that does not, then I am thinking

a. uninstall the burner driver, and let Scan for Hardware Change replace the burner driver (See Device Manager/DVD/CD ROM Drives/nae of your burner

b. double checking for firmware updates for any of the burners involved.

Only after we establish the situation with Premiere Elements 12 should we consider updating Premiere Elements from 12 to 12.1. I do not believe the 12 to 12.1 is at the core of your issue but I do want to control the variables as much as possible.

More later. Please ask if any questions.

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: Pre12 – unable to burn AVCHD to DVD media
                                    jammin109 Level 1

Thanks again A> T>

Good News!

I followed your instructions to the letter (including ccleaner,and disabling antivirus and firewall) and successfully reinstalled Pre 12.0.  Just made a couple of quickie tests using new project with HD timeline and now can burn DVDs.  I also had success using existting project with HD video.  in other words, the dreaded "No burners detected" status is no longer and I now see "Ready", and I actually burned (and videwd) a few discs on inexpensive Imation DVD- media just to be certain.

However, when I tried to burn AVCHD format on the DVD media, I still get "Media not present". 

So, should I uninstall the internal burner's driver?   I just checked with Dell and Microsoft and the driver is current (i.e., no updates available.)  Also, is it safe to upgrade to Pre 12.1

Thanks

Message was edited by: jammin109

• 15. Re: Pre12 – unable to burn AVCHD to DVD media
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

jammin109

Major great news.

Recap

Right now, DVD-VIDEO on DVD is a can do. Is that for the internal as well as the external burner? (I ask because my latest troubleshooting protocol did mention staying with the internal burner for now. With Premiere Elements 12 (not 12.1 yet) let us establish that you can burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc with the internal or external burner.

Now what about the AVCHD on DVD situation. You say no can do on that. Is that for the internal as well as external? Please check out that status on both if you have not done so already.

And, what about Blu-ray on Blu-ray disc burn to, is that still working for the external which is a Blu-ray DVD burner?

Hold off on the uninstall of the internal burner's drivers until after you confirm that results with the external burner.

Depending on the joint results of those burners, the next steps might be

a. uninstall the internal burner driver

and

b. when all is successfully done, then we can consider what to do about 12.1 Update.

Thanks for the good news part. Sounds like major progress. Great job.

ATR

• 16. Re: Pre12 – unable to burn AVCHD to DVD media
                                        jammin109 Level 1

1. Yes, HD or SD video will burn (in DVD format) to DVD media on either internal or external optical drive.  The reinstall of Pre 12.0 solved that problem.

2. There was no change to results when attempting to burn AVCHD to DVD media.  The internal optical drive continues to show "media not present", while the external drive shows "ready"

3. There was no change to results when burning to Blu-ray which continutes to operate correctly - the external drive shows "ready" (and burns are still successful).  Note that the internal drive can only write DVD media so isn't shown by Pre 12 for this task.

Below is revised table of results:

Source VideoSDSDSDHDHDHD
                                        Task:Burn DVDBurn AVCHD (to DVD media)Burn Blu-ray (to Blu-ray Media)Burn DVDBurn AVCHD (to DVD media)Burn Blu-ray (to Blu-ray Media)
                                        Status/Result
                                        Optical Drive E:
                                        Internal DVD Writer
                                        ReadyMedia not presentBurner loacation N/AReadyMedia not presentBurner loacation N/A
                                        Optical Drive F:
                                        External USB 3 Blu-ray  Writer
                                        ReadyReadyIncompatible disc (with DVD media), Ready with Blu-ray media)ReadyReadyReady

So, ok to uninstall and reinstall Windows driver for internal burner?

Thanks

• 17. Re: Pre12 – unable to burn AVCHD to DVD media
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

jammin109

If you think that we have ruled out bad disc beyond a reasonable doubt, then let us move forward with the uninstall/reinstall of the drivers for the internal burner. I say that with some reservation since you are getting what you need from the external Blu-ray DVD burner. I just hope we do not mess that up in trying to get the internal DVD burner to work without the Media not Present message(s).

Best wishes

ATR

• 18. Re: Pre12 – unable to burn AVCHD to DVD media
                                            jammin109 Level 1

Just uninstalled iinternal DVD burner using Windows Device Manager and confirmed that burner no longer recognized by Windows.  Then rebooted Windows which caused driver to be reinstalled, verified that burner working (played DVD movie), and then placed blank DVD- media in drawer and reran my Pre 12.0 tests.  There were no changes to results.  Attempting to burn AVCHD to DVD media using internal burner still results in "Media not Present" message, while burning DVD format to DVD media continues to work.  So, for some strange reason, Pre doesn't like my internal burner.

Shall I proceed to installing Pre 12.1 upgrade?

Thanks

• 19. Re: Pre12 – unable to burn AVCHD to DVD media
                                              jammin109 Level 1

Just installed Pre 12.1 and reran my tests.  Results were same as my post yesterday -- everything works  except burning AVCHD to DVD media using internal burner still results in "Media not Present" message,  Burns to DVD are fine as well all varieties of burns to external burner (i.e., DVD, AVCHD, and Blu-ray.)

So the Pre 12.1 update didn't introduce any problmes for me.

And, I can live with the quirk of being unable to burn AVCHD to DVD since I have a second burner that works fine.  I only hope that my problem is quite isolated  isn't an indication of something larger.

Thanks for all of your help.

• 20. Re: Pre12 – unable to burn AVCHD to DVD media
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

jammin109

Sorry for the delayed response. I have been away for a few days, and I am now in the process of catching up.

Since you have a burner to obtain the AVCHD on DVD, I am not sure how much time you want to spend in continuing search for an answer to get the AVCHD on DVD job done with the internal burner. Those unanswered whys are particularly disturbing.

Have we explored several possibilities of a brand/type DVD disc for the AVCHD on DVD?

ATR