5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 11, 2014 8:13 PM by JSS1138 RSS

Can sequences be used for multicam?

lizfoley Community Member

I'd be grateful for an answer to this question...

I have four sequences, not clips, that I'd love to be able to use in a multicam sequence, by using a marker that I've put in each one (the marker is named "Simon.")

When I highlight the four sequences in the Project tab and right-click, then go to "Create Multicam Source Sequence," the "Clip Marker" choice is grayed out.

So I suspect the answer to my question is "no."  And yet it seems so tantalizingly close to the "clip" methodology that I want it to be possible.

[Why do I want to use sequences rather than clips?  Because this is a four-camera shoot of a song by a band, and some of the cameras start and stop during the song, which means that Camera A, for example, has multiple clips for this song that I've put together in their own synchronized sequence.  I'd love to use timecode, but two of the cams were not jam-synced.  Yes, it's complicated.]

Sorry if this has been covered, but I've searched high and low for an answer here and elsewhere and haven't found it.

I'm using Premiere Pro CC, latest version, on a Macbook Pro,

Processor  2.53 GHz Intel Core i5,

Memory  4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Graphics  NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 256 MB

Software  OS X 10.8.5 (12F45)

• 1. Re: Can sequences be used for multicam?
          JSS1138 Community Member

You can add all the individual clips to one sequence, sync them all up, and then nest that first sequence into a second sequence.  Right click that nested sequence and select Multi-Camera>Enable.

• 2. Re: Can sequences be used for multicam?

Thanks for responding, but that doesn't seem to work.  I see no "Multi-Camera>Enable" when right-clicking on this "second sequence," and furthermore I need more than one camera in my new multi-camera sequence, so right-clicking a single sequence doesn't seem relevant.  Maybe there's something I'm not understanding about your suggestion?

• 3. Re: Can sequences be used for multicam?
              JSS1138 Community Member

when right-clicking on this "second sequence,"

Not the second sequence, the nested sequence, which is the first sequence containing all the synced media placed into the second as if it were a clip.

• 4. Re: Can sequences be used for multicam?

Thanks again for your help. So that "enabling" worked, but it brought me to another halt, which may be a different issue:  After telling Premiere to make a multicam source sequence with sychronized in-points (which I set in each of three camera sequences), the sync failed.

So I'm still failing to use sequences for a multicam source. 

• 5. Re: Can sequences be used for multicam?
                  JSS1138 Community Member

Do this.

1. Create a sequence matching the media.

2. Add your clips to that sequence, each camera on it's own track.

3. Sync those clips manually.

4. Create a second sequence with the same settings as the first.

5. Nest the first sequence into the second.

6. Right click that nested sequence and select Multi-Camera>Enable.