9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2014 3:12 PM by YorNg

Adobe Creative Cloud unable to find any installed applications

YorNg

I was updating my Indesign CS6 DPS Tool via Creative Cloud Desktop last month. However due to some internet connection error it failed. Tried to update it again later but there is no updates anymore. Logout from CC Desktop Application and log back in, all my applications are gone. It is no longer listed in CC Desktop. I have mainly CS6 and one CC application on my mac.

I have tried the following and it all did not work.

1. Change Language Perf from North American to International

2. Delete opm.db file from OOBE folder

3. Uninstall and Reinstall CC Desktop

4. Run Adobe Creative Cloud Cleanup tool

Now i am trying to reinstall but all the programs return an error. Uninstallation Failed. Your uninstallation encounted errors. Only program I manage to uninstall is CreativeCloud Desktop but it also states there are a few errors. Is there any log file I can refer to? I have also notice in the cleanup tool there is no CS6 or CC programs listed. The programs are working fine but it just do not appear as installed in creative cloud and the clean up tool.

I was using mac os 10.8.5 but yesterday I had to send my notebook for repair and the harddisk was replace due to bad sectors and the os is upgraded to 10.9.2. I used migraion utility to restore my files.

• 1. Re: Adobe Creative Cloud unable to find any installed applications
          Luis Rebelo Level 3

Don't use migration tools. That will lead to migraines... and broken Adobe licensing and most likely you also have permission issues from the OS upgrade and migration.

Anyway, yes, there should be logs. In Mac they are locate here: /Library/Logs/Adobe/Installers/ and Users/~/Library/Logs

And more information about logs: http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/troubleshoot-install-logs-cs5-cs5.html

Frankly, see if repairing permissions do any good: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1452

If they get repaired, then use the Adobe Cleaner to clean anything it can find and reinstall.

At some point think if, timewise, makes more sense  formating clean the machine, or still go at it.

GL.

• 2. Re: Adobe Creative Cloud unable to find any installed applications
            YorNg Level 1

The problems started before I used migration assitant. I just wanted another shot of fixing this problem after fixing my harddisk issues which develop after this adobe problem. I have found that by creating another user does not work too. I also suspect the uninstall problems is caused by Adobe Application Manager. What are the files that assoicate the adobe installation to Adobe Application Manager, Creative Cloud and the clean up tool? Currently only creative cloud desktop is listed in the clean up tool and uninstalls. The other installations can't be uninstalled either way via clean up tool or thorugh the native application uninstall tool and therefore I am suspecting some broken files.

It is also puzzling why after an update fails it no long appears on the updates list and after logging out and back in the adobe installations are no longer listed in the creative cloud desktop application.

• 3. Re: Adobe Creative Cloud unable to find any installed applications
              ProDesignTools MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Hi YorNg,

See if this thread works for you:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1403396

Hope that helps!

• 4. Re: Adobe Creative Cloud unable to find any installed applications
                YorNg Level 1

I tried downloading Aftereffects CC and Indesign CS6 which I both have installed on my system. Both installations failed shortly after initialising. Adobe Application manager would pop up with a message installation failed. your installation encounted errors. I even tried renaming the application manager folder on my system but it still does not work.

I also just discovered that when I try downloading and installing new adobe cc apps it fails at 42%. This other user also faces the same problem. > http://forums.adobe.com/message/6173851

After loads of searching I notice this user problem is exactly the same as mine. Logout from CC Desktop log back in and found there are no apps installed, tried installing fails at 42%. http://forums.adobe.com/message/6181960

Any adobe staff memeber can shed some light on this issues? At least now I know I am not the only one facing this issue

• 5. Re: Adobe Creative Cloud unable to find any installed applications
                  YorNg Level 1

THe product I have installed is CS6 Design and Web. So I have Illustrator, Indesign, Fireworks, Dreamweaver, Flash, Photoshop, Acrobat Pro installed. I also have several trials like After Effects CC, Audition CS6, Edge Animate, Premiere Pro installed.

Currently all adobe installations are working fine no problems and issues. In the individual program I can also check for updates. Check the update preferences in application manager and all my installations are listed too.  Below is a list of stuff that is broken.

1. Creative Cloud Desktop do not list any applications installed. It thinks I have no program installed. Tried all the possible fixes listed on the internet such as chnaging language, delete OPM.db file, reinstall and nothing works.

2. Downloading any new software or existing software fail at 42%. Which is when the download completes and the software begins to install.

3. Using any uninstaller included with the programs listed above results in a adobe application manager error. (Uninstallation Failed) So far I could only uninstall creative cloud desktop, flash player, adobe air.

4. Using creative cloud cleaner tool also do not list any cs 6 or cc installation. only creative cloud desktop.

5. I have tried reinstalling over using a dvd and also using prodesigntools website direct download links to reinstall it will result in a adobe application manager installation fail error

So currently I have all my adobe programs working great, there is no way to uninstall unless I manually delete the files which I feel is too drastic action to take since everything is working fine. If I uninstall it manaually and I can't reinstall it back due to errors I won't have any adobe software for work.

This problems started after a fail update and after logging out of the creative cloud desktop.

Any solutions?

• 6. Re: Adobe Creative Cloud unable to find any installed applications
                    YorNg Level 1

Finally Adobe manage to give me an answer.

The issue you are facing on your computer is due to corrupted caps.db (database file) which holds the information about the Adobe apps installed on your computer. That is the reason, you are unable to uninstall using Adobe uninstallers and using Cleaner tool.

I have regular time machine backups, so what I did was use a backup before the date the issue started and replace the entire caps folder with the backup copy. The caps folder has 3 files caps.db, Media_db.db and pdb.db.

This fix the all the issues I have and the uninstallers are working again. Only thing is creative cloud desktop list 8 apps instead of 12 which I have installed.

• 7. Re: Adobe Creative Cloud unable to find any installed applications
                      YorNg Level 1

I have found out why creative cloud only list 8 apps. The 8 apps are actually under English North America while the 2 others apps are under English International. The rest is not listed in any other languages for some reason. Any idea how to change the language to all English International?

• 8. Re: Adobe Creative Cloud unable to find any installed applications
                        ProDesignTools MVP & Adobe Community Professional

YorNg wrote:

Finally Adobe manage to give me an answer.

The issue you are facing on your computer is due to corrupted caps.db (database file) which holds the information about the Adobe apps installed on your computer. That is the reason, you are unable to uninstall using Adobe uninstallers and using Cleaner tool.

Thanks...  Do you know if it can be fixed if the user doesn't have a Time Machine backup?  Can you just delete that caps directory entirely and it will reset or recreate?

• 9. Re: Adobe Creative Cloud unable to find any installed applications
                          YorNg Level 1

I did see a few backups created  in the Adobe folder but I am not sure in what instances would these backups be created or used (It could be during application updates since I saw some of the backups was created around the date that the dps update fail).

The caps folder is not used by any adobe applications it is used by adobe application manager and creative cloud desktop. If it is corrupted or deleted you will not be able to use adobe application manager to uninstall any applications, use the cleaner tool, see any applications in creative cloud desktop or install new applications.

The only way to recreate the caps folder is to delete everything and install over again as suggested by Adobe.  I feel this method is too troublesome and drastic since the applications are all working fine. Adobe should create a tool to repair the database files instead.

Just to clarify I did not do a full time machine restore. What I did was view the backups as individual files in my backup harddisk and locate the particular folder and copy it over.