15 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2014 9:24 AM by MikeKPhoto

Premiere Elements 12.1 Update

Michael Stehly Level 1

I am not able to Update to Version 12.1.  I received the following message: "Please close the following applications to continue."  I have no applications to close.  The Adobe Application Manager stops at 44% every time I try to update.  My operating system is Windows XP Pro with Service Pak 3.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 12.1 Update
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Michael,

I would look in Task Manager, in both Applications and then in Processes, as some Adobe modules can launch at boot-up, and run in the background. In Processes, check for any that start with "Adobe." Do you see anything there?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 12.1 Update
            Michael Stehly Level 1

Adobe Support said that your solution would not work.  The only fix they have is to uninstall Premiere Elements 12 and reinstall it.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 12.1 Update
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael Stehly

I have just been through the Premiere Elements 12 to 12.1 Update. No problems.

Please consider

a. After the download phase, the updating process begins.

b. Soon after the updating process begins, the process will be interupted by

Close programs.JPG

Note that the message tells you which program needs to be closed. And, that program is Premiere Elements 12 which you opened in the first place to get at its Help Menu/Update.

Therefore, I would ask "When you get this message, are you closing Premiere Elements 12, not the Application Manager Dialog?

It works without a glitch.

Please review and then we can discuss this further.

Thank you.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Premiere Elements 12.1 Update
                Michael Stehly Level 1

Thank you.  The Update was successfull.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 12.1 Update
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael Stehly

Good news. I am gathering more information on just what we now have.

It appears that the 12.1 Update applies to

Photoshop Elements 12

Elements Organizer 12

Premiere Elements 12

Whichever, the explanation for all includes

...corrects a number of issues with......stability and performance. It is suggested that all users upgrade.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 12.1 Update
                    nealeh Level 5

A.T. Romano wrote:

the explanation for all includes

...corrects a number of issues with......stability and performance. It is suggested that all users upgrade.

Thanks for that ATR. At least we now know what the 'release notes' say, even if it's not very specific!

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 12.1 Update
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

nealeh

Based on Adobe history with regard to its updates to its versions, I suspect that we will not get any definition of the stability and performance in this regard.

But, at least, this time around, the user can see 12.1 in the program after the update.

One example, see

Help Menu/About

More on all this as I gather the most current information on the matter.

ATR

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 12.1 Update
                        Macvideo

I follow this suugestion above exactly and I get an error message like this;

Adobe Premiere Elements 12.1 update

There was an error installing this update. Please quit and try again later. Error Code: U44M1P2003

Adobe Photoshop Elements 12.1 update

There was an error installing this update. Please quit and try again later. Error Code: U44M1P2003

I have tried each product as a separate update and the same error occurs.

Any suggestions?

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 12.1 Update
                          MikeKPhoto Level 2

I too am having problems with the update. In my case Adobe Application Manager Crashes ater the download and all is lost. This is a common occurence and solved by dowmloading the update direct. But for the life of me I cannot find the download link. Go to Adobe updates and the latest they show is Version 10.

Anyone know the direct link to the 12.1 update

PS; Adobe Application Manager is one of the worst pieces of software I have ever encountered.

Cheers

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 12.1 Update
                            Macvideo Level 1

I have entered into another thread to try and solve this problem. I too would like to know how to get to the download directly. I have posted along with others quite a bit of the history experieces so far to solving this problem.

This link I hope will take you to the other thread.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/6190794#6190794

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 12.1 Update
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

MikePhoto,

Historically, Adobe Product Updates have been first released as Auto Updates first. Then that product team wraps the Update into a stand-alone file, usually 7z, to be Extracted, and used to install. This takes from about a week, to several.

Now, whether this pattern will apply to PrE 12, or not, we will just have to wait and see.

I have asked for info of the PrE 12 Update, up the Adobe chain, but have not received any answers yet, on exactly what the PrE 12 Update fixes, and for any info when an executable Update might be offered.

Hunt

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 12.1 Update
                                MikeKPhoto Level 2

Bill

Thanks for the update, well at least for other products (Photoshop CS6) they make the standalone download available.

One of the concerns I have with Adobe's approach here is they do know that AAM has issues, I spent a lot of time with support, looks like they mixed two versions of AAM the Cloud and Standalone version. I discovered this while trouble shooting a my Photoshop CS 6 update and the logs refer to a cloud install. Grhh!!

The other concern with this approach is if the update fixes a security flaw - you will be dead in the water and vulberable if you don't have an alternate means of getting the patch.

Looking forward to seeing an update and exactly what this update fixes

Cheers and have a great weekend

Mike

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 12.1 Update
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

You are correct that AAM seems to have issues regarding other Adobe programs. That is one reason that folk want to go the direct download and install route, but that normally takes just a bit of extra time, before such is released.

In my quest to go "up the line with Adobe," I have yet to get much information. BarbaraB, the MOD of the PsE Forum got some info, but it was mostly related to fixing issues with Adobe Revel, the "replacement" for the old Photoshop.com system. Her info has been reposted in this forum already, I only hope that someone up the food-chain can let us know exactly WHAT was included in the 12.1 Update, related to PrE.

It would also be nice to know both an IF, and then a WHEN for the direct downloaded executable. Unfortunately, Adobe seldom will even hint at a timeline, until they have everything poised for a launch. They have always been very tight-lipped on such matters.

Hunt

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 12.1 Update
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

I do not know if my comments will be worthwhile but file if not applicable

1. Apparently in the days of presumed version 9 and that 9.0.1 Update, the Photoshop Elements Forum reply to the U44MlP2003 Error was the uninstall/reinstall and download the Update for manual install.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1083129

As we know, no such 12.1 Update for download (outside of the program) is being offered by Adobe.

Also, at that time

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/error-patch-cannot-applied-photoshop.html

2. The two means that Adobe offers for downloads seem to be

Akami NetSession Interface

and

Adobe Application Manager

Both are prone to problems with firewalls, especially the Akami one.

As far as you have gone with the download tries, have you tried any

Premiere Elements 12 uninstall/reinstall

and/or

Disabled antivirus and firewalls?

ATR

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 12.1 Update
                                      MikeKPhoto Level 2

My problem is definitely with AAM. The package downloads just fine, then kicks of the install and about 50% into the update AAM throws up with an error and exits and kills the update.

I went through this trying to update Photoshop CS6 (perpetual). Unistalled, ran the cleaner, reinstalled, then ran the updater, AAM crashes. Adobe support had me update AAM again, and that made mattters worse as it began reporting I had an unlicensed version arrggh!!!! Support basically admitted that a bad version of AAM had gotten out in the wild that had Cloud based stuff included.

Interestingly the update package had downloaded onto my system - as I found the workaround. I fired up AAM outside of PRE and immediately found the update patch without any download required and installed it. So not a connectivity issue, not a firewall issue - just another AAM issue - just will not work with the application active.  This may help others who are having similar issues?

Go figure.....

This is the reason I prefer to manually download and apply updates....

Mike