Very unstable hardware

gsmucker16

I am having issues with my new computer system.  Here's my specs

ASUS x79 deluxe

intel 4930k

32 gb RAM

EVGA GTX780 gpu

240 gb intel ssd (os)

6TB raid 0 hdd (media, project files, cache)

1.5TB hdd (exports)

Premiere and after effects are crashing left and right (probably ten times a day).  My old system had much lower specs and I never had any issues, although it ran a little slower, but no crashes. Another issue that could possibly be related is anytime I try and play h264 .mp4's in quicktime, quicktime freezes.  I've tried installing the latest updates to quicktime etc and still no luck.  The other thing I've noticed is my cpu has turbo boost, and I can figure out how to turn that off.  I'm seeing the speed fluctuate like crazy and correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like the speed should be pretty steady?

Don't know what other info you might need but footage that I'm working with is anything from h264 to prores to r3d.

Someone please help!

Thanks

• 1. Re: Very unstable hardware
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What size power supply, and what is your CPU cooler and temps?

Have you checked your BIOS settings to verify that everything is "stock" with no overclocking?

I think you set "turbo boost" in your BIOS

• 2. Re: Very unstable hardware
            gsmucker16 Level 1

i have a corsair HX1050 psu. cooler master cooler (can't remember the model name but just a basic cooler.  haven't seen any crazy temps though so it seems fine)

everything in bios is stock, although in the overclock section there is a setting that's automatic, and I can't figure out how to change to none.  I'm assuming automatic means default/standard.

• 3. Re: Very unstable hardware
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sorry you reponded as I put this in

I doubt turbo boost would cause that problem.  Answer John's questions get a free temperature monitor like RealTemp which I really like. 

What Version of Premiere are you using?  If it is Premiere 6 or 7 (CC) and you want to test your system we have a benchmark that might give us some clues on the tuning of your system it is PPBM6 or 7-DE.  You will have to register on the site to see the posted results.  We require you to download Speccy which is a fantastic hardware/software information tool which can be very beneficial in telling us many more details of your system.

Did you install the CPU and do a good job with the thermal paste or is it a film paste-on?

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke

• 4. Re: Very unstable hardware
                gsmucker16 Level 1

Yeah I don't think there's anything wrong with the  thermal paste or overheating because my temps are in the 40's (deg C).   I haven't monitored CPU specs before until I upgraded to windows 8, so is this normal for the CPU to fluctuate speeds so much?

I'll download the ppbm and see if I can find anything from that.  There's gotta be something weird going in though because I can 't get h264 mp4 to play in QuickTime.

• 5. Re: Very unstable hardware
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>intel 4930k... speed fluctuate like crazy and correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like the speed should be pretty steady?

I don't have that CPU, but I was not aware that a CPU could vary in speed

• 6. Re: Very unstable hardware
                    JEShort01 Level 4

Have you updated all the drivers for your motherboard, gpu, etc.? And yes, I mean all the drivers even for things like USB 3.0 even if you are not currently using it.

Jim