6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2007 6:36 AM by R0bw

Fireworks CS3 OS X constant crashes with complex files

| Brian |
      I recently purchased CS3 and started using Fireworks CS3 instead of Photoshop for web development. Absolutely love it. I started having crashes, mainly on opening complex files created in Fireworks CS3. A couple weeks ago I formatted my entire system, starting completely from scratch, only installing the applications and fonts that I absolutely needed. Nevertheless, I continue to get Fireworks crashes, which appear by the logs to be related to a memory leak in Fireworks.

If Fireworks only crashed itself, the issue would be bad enough. But it brings down several other apps with it. The apps are different each time. Sometimes it crashes Mail and Dashboard Calendar, sometimes it crashes Firefox and iCal. Rarely does it crash only itself. And rarely does it crash all programs. It's usually a random selection of apps.

All other CS3 apps have worked beautifully. All other apps on the box work great. And the log is filled with stuff like:

Adobe Fireworks CS3(299,0xa000cfc0) malloc: *** Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0xfcc2a8; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug
      Jun 1 11:01:02 brian-morykons-computer /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/ATS.framework/Support /ATSServer: FOExceptionMainHandler caught a fatal exception at 0x000ddb9f\n
      Jun 1 11:01:02 brian-morykons-computer /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/ATS.framework/Support /ATSServer: ATSServer got a fatal exception! Please check /var/log/ats.log, also viewable in Console.app

So it's definitely a Fireworks issue. And it's too bad. I love Fireworks for Web Development. Any updates or suggestions would be appreaciated.

My system: MacBook 2ghz Core Duo, 2gb ram, 100gb hard drive, Mac OS 10.4.9