6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2014 9:17 PM by A.T. Romano

Unable to continue: hardware or system error

i777k

Hello,

I tried starting up PE8 today, and received this message:

Unable to continue because of a hardware or system error. Sorry, but this error is unrecoverable.

This only occurs while opening "Edit," but not "Organize."

I'm fairly certain I know what has caused the error - I uninstalled an old trial version of Premiere Elements the other day, just to clear out some space on my computer, and I'm guessing that uninstalled something that shouldn't have been uninstalled, something that was also used by Photoshop Elements.

I have already tried the resetting/deleting the preferences folder.

My version is Photoshop Elements 8.0. My OS is Windows 8, 64 bit. RAM is 8.0 (7.4 usable).

I have a license for two computers, and both licenses are in use.

Is this error really unrecoverable? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Unable to continue: hardware or system error
          i777k Level 1

Anyone?

I need PE for my work, and I'm already falling behind because of this...if anyone has any advice, please post.

• 2. Re: Unable to continue: hardware or system error
            A.T. Romano Level 7

i777k

Deleting the settings file has been known to resolve this type of issue. How did you go about resetting/deleting the preferences folder?

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/preference-file-locations-photoshop-elements. html

Was it the Adobe Premiere Elements 8 Prefs.psp file that you deleted?

Or did you go the Ctrl+Alt+Shift hold down as you clicked (held click) on the Editor tab of the Photoshop Elements 8 Welcome Screen?

What antivirus program do you have? McAfee or other? Have you disabled the antivirus program to determine if that had any affect on the

issue?

If you have not already and nothing else is resolving the issue, consider a deactivation, uninstall, reinstall with a ccleaner run through between the uninstall and the reinstall.

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

We will be watching for your results.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Unable to continue: hardware or system error
              i777k Level 1

Thank you so much for your response.

I did the Ctrl+Alt+Shift hold down as I opened the Editor tab. Disabling my antivirus (Kaspersky) didn't help either.

The reason I think neither worked is because this error message didn't pop up out of the blue, it happened right after I uninstalled Premiere Elements...the program has functioned fine for years before I did that. (I'm really wishing I had just left my computer cluttered now )

I will try the uninstall next, then. Stupid question, though...how do I deactivate it? I've only ever deactivated it within the Edit tab, which I am currently unable to open. Could I just uninstall and reinstall without deactivating? Can you deactivate/reactivate a license more than once on the same computer? Sorry for the stupid questions...

Thank you for your time, I really appreciate it.

• 4. Re: Unable to continue: hardware or system error
                A.T. Romano Level 7

i777k

Every question is important if you do not have an answer for it.

The only way to deactivate Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 on the user side is in the opened project, using Help Menu/Deactivate.

Since you are staying on the same computer and you cannot open a project, we can bypass that operation and go directly to the uninstall via the usual Control Panel route.

I have not seen any limits related to number of deactivations per person or per version. In any system, reinstall does not always smoothly follow uninstall. But we do not have an attractive alternative so we move forward thinking of the positive gains. In your case, I would encourage you to use the ccleaner program in between uninstall and reinstall in view of possible leftovers from incomplete installs or uninstalls.

In the name of better, I too get what I did not expect - other problems.

But, keeping positives thoughts, let us review the above and see if any of it works for us.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Unable to continue: hardware or system error
                  i777k Level 1

A.T. Romano,

God Bless You, I have now PE8 up and running, good as new.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and the first time, the error message still appeared. I was beyond dismayed. Then, I decided to uninstall again, but when I did the reinstall this time, I copied the files from the disc on to the desktop and reinstalled from there (I reinstalled directly via the CD the first time). It worked! The error message is gone, and I can open the Edit tab again.

Thank you for your positive words and for your patience (and for your kindness regarding my questions ). It is thanks to you taking the time and energy out of your day to help me that now has things back in order for me. I will be able to get caught back up for work now

I am so grateful for your help. You have literally saved the day. I hope you have a wonderful weekend, thank you again!

• 6. Re: Unable to continue: hardware or system error
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

i777k

I am so very excited about your wonderful news. Never give up and positive thoughts are the back bone of success. Great job.

Please do not hesitate to ask questions moving forward.

You have made my day with your good news.

ATR