6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2014 9:25 AM by P1965

Video card

P1965 Level 1

Started having issues with current vid card, Radeon HD 4800 series w dual DVI.  Runing Win 7 Tricore processor 8G ram.

Cant seem to get the driver to work wih Pre11 anymore, (used to work fine) and updates didn't help as the Elements program just freezes up the system before it even starts, displaying an update driver message. 

Question:  What is a decent minimum $ vid card that wil work with Pre 11?

Thanks,

• 1. Re: Video card
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Premiere Elements is not terribly graphics card intensive, so that should be adequate support for Premiere Elements 11. (Though your performance can also be affected by the type of video you're trying to edit and what your project's settings are.)

Have you manually gone to the ATI site and updated your driver there rather than through Windows Update?

If it used to work and now suddenly doesn't, there's likely something else going on.

Are you set up to get Microsoft Updates in addition to Windows Updates -- and have you manually gone to Windows Update and downloaded the non-critical updates in addition to automatic updates?

When you add your video to your project in Expert view, do you see a yellow orange line above the clips along the top of your timeline?

If so, what model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

• 2. Re: Video card
            P1965 Level 1

I did go direct to the ATI site for latest driver and that seems to be when the problem started.  All Microsoft updates are current but haven't done the 'non critical updates' but can try that.

The latest project I have been working on is HD with imported clips from other Pre HD projects, project settings are set to this at wide screen.  This had been working fine until I messed with the driver and now cannot rollback the dirver - option greyed out. 

Will try checking the ms updates

• 3. Re: Video card
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>now cannot rollback the dirver - option greyed out

Go to the ATI site and manually download an earlier driver for your card... maybe 2 or 3 different versions

Go to Windows Control Panel and remove your ATI card... saying YES you want the driver to be uninstalled

Restart, and run the ATI installer for the older driver version

IF the problem is the driver and not a hardware problem with your card, you may need to repeat until you find a driver that works

In a previous computer I had to do this with an nVidia card and the OLD Premiere 6x... only ONE specific driver would work properly with Premiere 6x... anything newer, or older, and P6x had problems

• 4. Re: Video card
                P1965 Level 1

Thanks John T.   I suspected that may be the issue - a case of the old don't fix what aint broke i guess.....  should have left well enough alone!  For the record, this is what I am getting along with total freeze up and having to force a shut down.

Element error.JPG

• 5. Re: Video card
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Baddriver http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1370916?tstart=0 may help (I'm not sure of the program version and file location given)

Once PrElements "decides" you have a "bad driver" it makes a note in a file, and you need to manually delete that file

• 6. Re: Video card
                    P1965 Level 1

You guys are the best!   Once i deleted that baddriver file, the program works fine again so that fixed the issue.  Nothing wrong with the card driver apparently.

Thank you!