10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2014 9:43 PM by StevRo

Supported GPU?

TP87

Hi,

I had read that after effects cs6 now supported the GeForce GTX 760 for Ray Traced rendering. I recently bought one and it shows it as not being being supported. in the past I have gone in and added my card to the list of supported cards to get it to work, but that did not work either. is there a reason for this?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Supported GPU?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have no clue because you didn't supply the following info:

OS?

Version of AE down to the last decimal?

Did you install Cuda from Nvidia?

• 2. Re: Supported GPU?
            TP87 Level 1

Rick,

I have Windows 7 64bit.

I am currently using After Effects cs6, and just tonight updated to version 11.0.4.2 and it still shows the card as unsupported for Ray-traced rendering. I did install the latest WHQL driver from the Nvidia website. I viewed my graphics card info, and I have the Nvidia CUDA 6.0.1 driver, Open GL version 2.1 and Shader model 4.0

Thanks for any help you can provide.

• 3. Re: Supported GPU?
              StevRo Level 2

Hi Tp87,

Adobe supported no, the only GeForce cards that Adobe supports for the AE CS6 Ray Tracer  are: 

GTX 285

GTX 470

GTX 570

GTX 580

GTX 670

GTX 680

GTX 690

If you have 11.03 or later the Optix 3 library should work with the latest the Kepler cards.  From your statement "in the past I have gone in and added my card to the list of supported cards to get it to work"  I am assuming you are referring to the raytracer_supported_cards.txt?

• 4. Re: Supported GPU?
                TP87 Level 1

Steve,

It looks like I must have been msinformed, and the list I saw was only for After Effects CC. Yes, I was referring to adding the card to the raytracer_supported_ cards.txt file. I have had success with adding cards in the past, but for some reason it does not seem to work with this card.

Thanks

• 5. Re: Supported GPU?
                  Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Hardware-accelerated ray traced rendering in AE is ONLY possible with Nvidea GPUs.  The AMD cards in Mac Pros are unlikely to ever be supported by Adobe.

Some more info you may like to read in this recent thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1421930?tstart=30

• 6. Re: Supported GPU?
                    TP87 Level 1

Andrew,

Yes, I understand that AE ray traced rendering is only possible with Nvidia, as it has to use CUDA. I am trying to use a Nvidia 760. Do you know if there is a reason this card will not work if I add it to the raytracer_supported_cards.txt file?

Thanks

• 7. Re: Supported GPU?
                      StevRo Level 2

Hi TP87,

It should be working unless the rendered name string is different.  Go to the folder where AE is installed, there is a file called GPUSniffer.exe  You'll need to run it from a cmd window and use the value in the Renderer string:  it'll give you something like GeForce GTX xxx/PCIe/SSE2  Copy the first part of (GeForce GTX xxx) in the raytracer_supported_cards.txt it is case sensitive so use the value from gpusniffer.exe.  Save the file and if AE is running, close it and reopen preferences>previews>GPU Information>Ray-tracing and it should now be set to "GPU" instead of "CPU".  Normally this supported_cards file is overwritten each time there is an update so you'll have to remember remember to change after the updates.

Hope it helps

• 8. Re: Supported GPU?
                        TP87 Level 1

Hey guys,

I have gotten it to work. What I ended up doing was going in and removing all the other cards listed in the raytracer_supported_cards.txt file and saved it with my card as the only one listed. For some reason that worked, I do not know why, as I had it spelled exactly the same as before.

• 9. Re: Supported GPU?
                          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

TP87 wrote:

Andrew,

Yes, I understand that AE ray traced rendering is only possible with Nvidia, as it has to use CUDA. I am trying to use a Nvidia 760.

Apologies, I posted that response in the wrong GPU thread. 

The GTX760 is listed as compatible with AE CC (12.1) in Windows only, but not in CS6.  I'm glad to hear you've found a workaround in CS6.

• 10. Re: Supported GPU?
                            StevRo Level 2

@TP87, cool glad its working for you