3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2014 6:13 AM by bugswhiskers1

Can't create book

bugswhiskers1

When I try to create a new book in Indesign CC, it opens without any pages, and all the pages options are greyed out.
      The only thing I can do is add a document. But until I create the new book, I don't have any documents to add.

• 1. Re: Can't create book
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

A book does not contain anything other than pointers to a group of files that will comprise your book. This is usually used for very long documents that are broken down into chapters.

If you only need a single file then create a new document, not a new book.

• 2. Re: Can't create book
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I think you have a misunderstanding of InDesign terminology.

A Document is a file you create in ID and save with the .indd file type. It can be anything from an advertisement to a brochure to business card to a custom letterhead to a product catalog to your memoir.

A Book (.indB file) is nothing more than a way to collect a lot of different .indd files together so you can work on them conveniently, and synchronize page numbering and styles.

I suspect waht you want is File > New > Document... and from there you can set up page specs. Once you have a document you can add content to it.

• 3. Re: Can't create book
              bugswhiskers1 Level 1

Bob and Peter: Thanks for your replies which fully explain where I am going wrong. Pushed for time, and I didn't give the brain a chance to think it through.

You'd never think I've been using InDesign since CS2, would you?

Much appreciated.