13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2014 9:58 AM by A.T. Romano

Projects won't open

EllenC Level 1

Just as I finished a project, the program shut down with an error message.  I re-opened the program, but the project will not open.  It says "Loading project" but nothing happens.

• 1. Re: Projects won't open
          A.T. Romano Level 7

EllenC

Lots more information needed from you to help us help you.

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

Where you working with the AutoSave feature active and set? If so, can you open one of the AutoSaves for that project?

1. Project Preset

2. Properties of your source media

3. Size of project when the workflow failure occurred

4. Computer resources - including

a. video card/graphics card up to date

b. latest version of QuickTime installed

c. working Run As Administrator or from User Account with Administrative Privileges

d. using an external hard drive for storage of the source media going into the project

Let us start here and then decide what next based on your initial answers.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Projects won't open
            EllenC Level 1

I will answer as best I can.

Premiere Elements 9

Dell with Windows 7

Yes, AutoSave active.  The file is in AutoSave as well as just in My

Videos.  The AutoSave file also will not open.

1.  Project preset NTSC-AVCHD-HD1080i30

2.  Source media files are AVCHD Video (MTS)

3.  Project size 541 KB

4a.  Computer new August 2011, no new graphics or video card since then

4b.  I just installed the latest version of QuickTime and tried again. 

Project still won't open.

4c.  Just opening Premiere by clicking on the icon.

4d.  Source media and project stored on internal hard drive.

• 3. Re: Projects won't open
              A.T. Romano Level 7

EllenC

Thanks for the additional helpful information.

Are you working from the 9.0.1 Update of Premiere Elements 9. If not, you can get that from your Help Menu/Updates or from the following Adobe online link

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4929

Lots of things to look at on the computer, but as a first pass on this let us try the following:

1. Determine if you have moved, deleted, renamed (files or folders) that went into the project after the save/close of the project.

In that same regard, check out the Adobe document on Damaged Projects.

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/troubleshoot-damaged-projects-premiere-element s.html

Can you start any new projects?

2. Always top of the list is deleting the program's settings file named Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs. In the Windows 7 64 bit path, it is found...

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 9.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 9.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited. Do not get detoured in the path of Folders.

Also check out Edit Menu/Preferences/Scrath Disk to make sure that all the categories are directed to the same place and that the designated hard drive location has enough free space to accept the program files automatically sent there. Next we will going looking if pile ups of preview files, conforming audio files, and conforming video files.

But let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Projects won't open
                EllenC Level 1

I downloaded and installed the update.  At first, it told me Premiere

Elem was  not installed, so I re-installed from the original disk.  It

said it installed successfully, both the program and the update.  But

still cannot open a project.  Also, many of the menu items are grayed

out.  For example, I could not open Updates from within the program. 

Had to use your link.

I didn't do anything to the project file after saving because that's

when the program crashed.

I cannot start a new project.

Under your 2, when I click on Owner, there is no folder called AppData. 

I did a search and it cannot be found.

One thing I noticed when re-installing Prem Elem, there was an option to

Keep My Preferences.  It was already marked and I left it that way. 

There was also an option to Remove Downloaded Content, and I unchecked

that one.

I'm telling you this because I see from your email that preferences is

somehow involved with this.

Should I re-install but this time do not Keep My Preferences?

Ellen

• 5. Re: Projects won't open
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

EllenC

Thanks for the follow up and working through the troubleshooting.

If you are on Windows 7 64 bit, I would like you to activate the Folder Option "Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives".

Click on the Start Button.

In the Search Field that you now see above the Start Button, type Folder Options.

Look to the top of that left column to see Folder Options listed at the top.

Click on Folder Options to get the Folder Options dialog.

In the Folder Options dialog, click on the View Tab.

Under the View Tab, scroll until you see Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives and put a dot next to it.

Then see if you can do the deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file, and, if necessary, the whole 9.0 Folder in which it exists.

If that does not work, then the uninstall/uninstall, getting rid of the Preferences.

Do you have an installation disc for the Content? If so, get rid of the Content as well. I dislike putting you through that Content download for 9 unless absolutely necessary.

ATR

• 6. Re: Projects won't open
                    EllenC Level 1

I was able to follow your instructions to delete the Adobe Premiere

Elements Prefs file.

The program works now!

Thank you so much!!!

EllenC

• 7. Re: Projects won't open
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

EllenC

I am applauding your success. Great job.

We are so very pleased with your results.

Wishing you many great Premiere Elements projects ahead.

ATR

• 8. Re: Projects won't open
                        EllenC Level 1

Unfortunately, the fix was only temporary.

I was able to finish that project.

Then I wanted to start a new one, it would not open a new project.

So I reinstalled, this time unchecking to Keep User Preferences.

It worked and I started work on a new project.

When I went back to open it this morning, same problem, it won't open.

I think I just need new software.

• 9. Re: Projects won't open
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

EllenC

Sorry for the disappointing news. But do not give up.

Another idea which may turn things around.

Go the following web site and download and install the Premiere Elements 9 tryout for your Windows computer. Then insert your purchased serial number in the installation process. Does that work for you to give you a program that is consistently running?

http://prodesigntools.com/photoshop-elements-9-premiere-elements-9-direct-download-links.h tml

Read the "Note: Very Important Instructions" at that web site and follow the instructions exactly. Otherwise you will end up with an Access Denied Message.

When the time is right after a successful download and install from that web site, download and install the 9.0.1 Update from Adobe.

Hope that works for you.

We will be watching for the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

• 10. Re: Projects won't open
                            EllenC Level 1

I followed this and was able to successfully download.  And I could open

my project last night.

But, this morning, again, it will not open.

It seems every time I download, it works just once.  And of course, it's

pretty annoying and time-consuming to download each time I want to work

on a project.

Ellen

P.S.  I didn't download the update.  I was going to do that today. If

that could be the problem, I could try again.

• 11. Re: Projects won't open
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

EllenC

Please download and install the 9.0.1 Update version of the program if you have not already.

Use the online Adobe link with Premiere Elements 9 closed.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4929

Then open Premiere Elements 9.0.1 version, and see if the program works.

If it does not and if you are sure that you have the latest version of your video card/graphics card driver, then

let us delete the BadDrivers.txt file. That file is found in Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit in the path

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 9.0 Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete.

After you close out of there and open a Premiere Elements project, the program will generate a new BadDrivers.txt

file and hopefully all will be well. Be sure to be working with Folder Option "Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives"

active so that you can see the complete path.

The rationale behind deleting the BadDrivers.txt file is given in post 10 of the following older thread.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/732067

It has helped many then and afterward with later versions and in similar situations.

Thanks for the follow ups and working through the troubleshooting.

ATR

• 12. Re: Projects won't open
                                EllenC Level 1

I tried all this except updating the video card/graphics card drive.  As

before, it only works once.

I'll be getting a new computer soon, so will start fresh then.

Thanks for all your help,

EllenC

• 13. Re: Projects won't open
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

EllenC

Before you buy the new computer, (for troubleshooting purposes only) have you considered downloading and installing the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements 12 from Adobe? If Premiere Elements 12 works on your current computer, that points to version 9.0/9.0.1 as the problem. If Premiere Elements does not work on your current computer also, that points to the computer.

We have been down a lot of troubleshooting paths, I do not recall if we have tried the above.

We will be watching for further news.

Thanks.

ATR