13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2014 6:34 PM by A.T. Romano

Premier Elements won't open

Scanny49

When I click on New Project in Premier Elements 12 it will show the barber pole for about a minute and then not open.  There was a previous thread about this and I tried all the solutions:  Updating Drivers, updating Quicktime etc.. and nothing works.  Very frustrated because I called phone support and they are going to make me pay for help.  Ridiculous.

These are my computer specs:

Elements Organizer 12.0.0.0

Core Version: 12.1 (20140303.12.1.49334)

Language Version: 12.0 (20130925.r.43436)

Current Catalog:

Catalog Name: My Catalog

Catalog Location: C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs\My Catalog\

Catalog Size: 76MB

Catalog Cache Size: 2.7GB

System:

Operating System Name: Windows 7

Operating System Version: 6.1 Service Pack 1

System Architecture: Intel CPU Family:6 Model:10 Stepping:5 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP

Built-in Memory: 6GB

Free Memory: 4.1GB

Important Drivers / Plug-ins / Libraries:

Microsoft DirectX Version: 9.0

Apple QuickTime Version: 7.74

Adobe Reader Version: 11.0

Adobe Acrobat Version: Not installed

CD and DVD drives:

D: (HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW BUS: 1 ID: 1 Firmware: GH70N)

E: (PLDS DVDRWBD BUS: 1 ID: 1 Firmware: DH-12E3S)

• 1. Re: Premier Elements won't open
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

When you say

Updating Drivers, updating Quicktime etc.. and nothing works.

1. Did you update your video driver from the nVidia, or AMD/ATI Web site?
          2. What GPU (video card/chip) do you have - both make and model?
          3. What is the number and date of the installed video driver?
          4. Do you have a laptop with dual GPU's?

The reason for all the GPU and video driver questions is that an obsolete video driver is often a cause for PrE not launching properly.

Good luck, and let us have a bit more, please.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premier Elements won't open
            Scanny49 Level 1

1.   AMD I believe

2.   ATI Radeon HD5670

3.   5/17/2010

4.   No.  It is a desktop. Dell Studio XPS 9100

• 3. Re: Premier Elements won't open
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for that information. I forgot to ask which OS version you are running.

For the HD 5670 and Win7-64, here is the latest driver: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows%207%20-%2064

I would assume that AMD has a newer driver, than 2010, regardless of the OS, but you can change the values, to reflect your OS version, and check.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premier Elements won't open
                Scanny49 Level 1

Running windows 7.  Uploading driver now.  I will let you know.

• 5. Re: Premier Elements won't open
                  Scanny49 Level 1

Updated driver.  Same issue remains.

• 6. Re: Premier Elements won't open
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Dang! The video driver is the #1 cause for PrE not launching.

1. OK, have you added any 3rd party plug-ins?
                    2. In case you have corrupted Preferences for PrE, launch the program, and immediately hold down Shift+Ctrl+Alt, to reset the Preferences.
                    3. Will Elements Organizer launch, or does it fail, like PrE too?
                    4. Though they usually interfere with the editing in PrE, do you have any active, real-time scanning anti-virus, anti-malware or anti-anythiing software running? If so, turn all of those OFF, and test launching PrE.

I am sure that there will be a few more questions, and suggestions.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premier Elements won't open
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

If the above keystroke combination does not reset the Preferences file, then this manual method should work.

For Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit, the location is;

Local Disk C:\ (if installation was to the default location)

Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Premiere Elements\12.0

In the 12.0 Folder is the file named "Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs" file that you Delete.

If that does not work, Delete the entire 12.0 folder

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Premier Elements won't open
                        Scanny49 Level 1

1.  No 3rd Party Plug ins

2.  Tried to do this.  Don't know if it worked.  I did do typical install, but that path doesn't exist.  Can't find \Owne\.

3.  Yes it does launch

4.  Turned off everything and it didn't help

• 9. Re: Premier Elements won't open
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Scanny49,

2.  Tried to do this.  Don't know if it worked.  I did do typical install, but that path doesn't exist.  Can't find \Owne\.

You have found a typo on my part. That should have been "Owner," with an "r" at the end. I should have done a Copy/Paste, rather than typing... sorry about that. I have made the spelling correction above.

Now, if you are not seeing that Path, it is likely that your OS settings in Control Panel>Folder Options is set to Hide System and Hidden Files. You will need to uncheck the Hide System and Hidden Files, so that all Paths can be seen in Windows Explorer. With a default installation of the OS, much is hidden from the user's view. While in Folder Options, also make sure that Show File Extensions is ON, so that you can see each file's extension.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Premier Elements won't open
                            Scanny49 Level 1

i appreciate the help.  Tried to do it and it still doesn't open new project.

• 11. Re: Premier Elements won't open
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Scanny49

I realize that I am late coming to your thread, so please let me know if you have been there and done following when trying to open a new Premiere Elements 12 Windows 7 64 bit new project.

1. Have you right click the Desktop Icon for Premiere Elements 12 and selected Run As Administrator? Do you verify that you are running Premiere Elements 12 from a User Account with Administrative Privileges?

2. Have you created a new (additional) User Account with Administrative Privileges and tried to install and use Premiere Elements 12 from it?

3. Have you tried to launch Premiere Elements 12 after you have disable the Startup programs which run in the background?

See Run/Msconfig/Start Up (disable all) and Services (disable all except leave check mark next to Hide All Microsoft Services).

4. Check out the Hosts file for anything written below the default view

Local Disk C

Windows

System32

drivers

etc

and in the etc Folder is the hosts file whose Notepad document you open by right clicking it, selecting Open, then Notepad. There should be nothing below the last line that you see in the following default hosts file Windows 7.

hosts.JPG

If you do have to edit the hosts file Notepad documents, make a backup copy of it first.

Please review the above and determine if any of that works for you.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...Did you say whether or not you downloaded and installed the 12.1 Update for Premiere Elements 12 and Elements Organizer 12?

• 12. Re: Premier Elements won't open
                                Scanny49 Level 1

1. Yes I have

2. Yes i have

3.  I tried this a short time ago and it had no effect

4. The notepad matches what is on my computer

Yes i did download 12.1.

I am sorry this is bei ng such a pain.  I am dumbfounded by this as well

• 13. Re: Premier Elements won't open
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Scanny49

Sorry the news is not better.

I will think about this some more.

At the onset, you indicated that Adobe wanted payment in order to help you.

Are you are liberity to explain that situation. You have a purchased/registered/latest version, and I have not run into

Adobe/Adobe Chat asking for a fee to help purchased/registered/latest version with Downloading, Installing, and Setting Up.

Because resolution to the problem has not surfaced yet, you might want to explore further that contact with Adobe via its

Adobe Chat for its free helping services. If you have not been there and done the following, it goes like this:

Click on the following link, and, when the link opens, click on the statement "I still need help" to bring up the Adobe Chat to discuss

"Downloading, Installing, and Setting Up" specific to Premiere Elements 12 which is purchased/registered/current version.

Please let us know the outcome. I will continue to think about the issue some more.

Thanks.

ATR