4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2014 6:23 AM by inco314

Photoshop CC file started to get corrupted

inco314

Hi, I have a file I've been working on (Photoshop CC + OSX 10.9.1).

These artifacts appear in some layers that have some effects on smart objects (but not limited too).

http://i.stack.imgur.com/rxOwN.png

I disabled gpu drawing, as it might be related - but the artifacts remain.

Is there anything I can do? Is there a "auto-fix" for PSD files?

• 1. Re: Photoshop CC file started to get corrupted
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

It looks very much like a display issue.  How long have you had CC, and did you have it before Mavericks?  That is to say, how long have you been seeing these artefacts and can you relate it updating your OS?   You need to make sure you have the lates driver for your video card, but I am not a Mac user so can't advise how to go about that.  With a PC we go to the ccard maker's site and update the driver from there.

• 2. Re: Photoshop CC file started to get corrupted
            inco314 Level 1

hi

the file was corrupt in such a way that opening it in a different computer (win) also had the same artifacts.

The file has been worked on regulary for the past month

• 3. Re: Photoshop CC file started to get corrupted
              Level 5

Video drivers for the Mac are only available from Apple through Mac OS X updates.  We can't get them from the card manufacturers.

If the driver is not the issue, you need to figure out what corrupted your file.  This can happen through RAM or HD defects, or by saving over a network.

This is the boilerplate text often used in connection to saving to a network (please NOTE the part where it explains that normally, it does work, but that it is impossible to troubleshoot someone else's network remotely, and that's why it's not supported by Adobe):

If you are opening files over a network or saving them to a network server, please cease and desist immediately in the event you are currently experiencing problems with one or more files. Working across a network is not supported.

See: 

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/406/kb406793.html

Copy the CLOSED file from your server to your local hard disk, work on it, save it again to your local hard disk, close it, and copy the closed file back to the server.

Of course, the fact that Adobe does not support working across a network does not necessarily mean it won't work.   It should.

Adobe's position is that there are too many variables in a network environment for them to guarantee that everything will work correctly in every network, especially given the fact that if something does not work properly, it's probably the network's fault, and Adobe has no way of troubleshooting your network.

If you can't work locally, you are on your own, and if something happens, you're on your own. If you must work from a server, make sure your network administrator is a competent professional.

When problems arise, a lot of valuable work can be lost.

• 4. Re: Photoshop CC file started to get corrupted
                inco314 Level 1

hi, thanks for the detailed information. I do not use any server for the files. They are stored locally on the Mac.

Anyway, I hope it was a RAM glitch and won't happen again.

thanks