15 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2014 9:49 AM by ECBowen

What are the Best settings for GEforce GTX680 & Premiere Pro CC

kemitesound.com Level 1

I have purchased the Geforce GTX 680 mac edition and installed in my Mac Pro 2012. However, there are some settings in Premiere Pro that are a little  perplexing to me. To maximize the effectiveness of video card and get  the best render times I want to make sure my settings are correct.

I  read that under Sequence Settings it is best to check off Maximum  Render Quality and then under Preferences > Memory I should check off  Memory instead of Performance. Am I correct in doing this?

• 1. Re: What are the Best settings for GEforce GTX680 & Premiere Pro CC
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Dont set the memory to memory. That significantly slows down the realtime playback and export. Only do that if you are low on ram to start with. You only should require the Max Render Quality for sequences sometimes when FX don't preview correctly.

Eric

ADK

• 2. Re: What are the Best settings for GEforce GTX680 & Premiere Pro CC
            kemitesound.com Level 1

Thank you. I am changing the settings now to test this out.

• 3. Re: What are the Best settings for GEforce GTX680 & Premiere Pro CC
              kemitesound.com Level 1

Seems to be a significant difference in performance. Thanks so much!

• 4. Re: What are the Best settings for GEforce GTX680 & Premiere Pro CC
                ALLENT Level 1

OK, just to be clear, set Memory (under preferences) to Performance, and under the Sequence settings do NOT check Max Render Quality???

• 5. Re: What are the Best settings for GEforce GTX680 & Premiere Pro CC
                  ALLENT Level 1

One additional note under my project settings I only have Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (Open CL) & Mercury Playback Engine Software ONly... I do not have an option for Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (CUDA).  This seems wrong (do I not have the right driver loaded) how do I check the driver???  The GTX 680 has massive Cuda Cores, so i would expect to see the CUDA option (not just OPEN CL).  I expected to see a remarkable speed and responsiveness difference when I put the GTX in today???  A bit baffled...

• 6. Re: What are the Best settings for GEforce GTX680 & Premiere Pro CC
                    kemitesound.com Level 1

Definitely do not. This seems to slow the system down significantly. In fact, when you check off Max Render Quality, it asks you to set Memory to memory. This should only be used in the case that you don't have much memory in your system according to what I have been told.

My experiment in doing the setting with Memory and Max Render Quality was a significant loss of functionality with my entire system. I switched back, No problems at all.

• 7. Re: What are the Best settings for GEforce GTX680 & Premiere Pro CC
                      kemitesound.com Level 1

Are you not seeing significant performance changes? That would be surprising. It might be your expectations of what the card will do. I had similar expectations but as I read more, my understanding of what the card will allow began to change. For example, I use a lot of color correction plugins that before getting this card would actually freeze up my system when rendering and depending on my card (and I have 24 gb of ram!). Now it runs significantly better and no freezes. In fact my render times are reduced as well as my export times.

Admittedly I am a bit of a novice on the difference between CUDA and OPEN CL. After reading your post, I opened up my Premiere Pro and saw the same thing. We may need other forum reps to help us out regarding that. If you find out PLEASE let me know and I will do the same.

I had spoken to the makers of the card and to be honest, they we less than helpful themselves. I think it will come down to us searching it out.

But you should see a major difference between your old card and this one.

• 8. Re: What are the Best settings for GEforce GTX680 & Premiere Pro CC
                        Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I

ALLENT wrote:

One additional note under my project settings I only have Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (Open CL) & Mercury Playback Engine Software ONly... I do not have an option for Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (CUDA).  This seems wrong (do I not have the right driver loaded) how do I check the driver???  The GTX 680 has massive Cuda Cores, so i would expect to see the CUDA option (not just OPEN CL).  I expected to see a remarkable speed and responsiveness difference when I put the GTX in today???  A bit baffled...

I know when i built a Hackintosh over a year ago I did have to get the Mac CUDA drivers from nVidia

• 9. Re: What are the Best settings for GEforce GTX680 & Premiere Pro CC
                          ALLENT Level 1

since the video card was plug-n-play -- I didn't realize at first that I needed to download the nVidia driver (im on 10.8.5), therefore in my Mac systems preferences (the nVidia driver was not showing up under the "others" tab), so I loaded the correct drivers from nVidia and that all went well.  That was suppose to fix the reason I am not seeing GPU acceleration (CUDA) in Premiere Pro... but it did not.  I still can't get CUDA to  show up in my Project settings tab... so I am still thoroughly baffled!!  Once again im on MAC PRO (mid 2010) running 10.8.5 w/ GTX 680 (4GB) and not seeing option in Premiere pro to run GPU acceleration (CUDA)... i only get (open CL) option (and software only) of course. 

• 10. Re: What are the Best settings for GEforce GTX680 & Premiere Pro CC
                            ALLENT Level 1

UPDATE:  OK I have finally figured it out, you have to LOAD the CUDA driver in addition to the GTX 680 driver!! Then the GPU Accelerated (CUDA) option shows up!!! YEAH!!!!!  The first thing I loaded was the WEB DRIVER (313.01.04f01), not sure if I really needed that or not, but that is what nVidia took me too when searching for the driver, then you have to read down further on the driver page that says if you want CUDA support you need to specifically download the CUDA driver which at this time is 5.5.47.  So the way to tell if you are full CUDA (on MAC) is go to systems preferences, look for the CUDA (under "other"), not just the Nvidia Driver manager, but you have to have the icon that says CUDA (very important).  NOW when you open up premiere pro, magically your CUDA tab is available for CPU Acceleration!!!  Now to test drive my new GTX 680 4GB powerhouse (i hope)!!  Going straight for the heart, opening a 5k (shot on Epic) 90 min feature!!

• 11. Re: What are the Best settings for GEforce GTX680 & Premiere Pro CC
                              kemitesound.com Level 1

Ok thanks, now you've got ME confused! lol. After reading your last two posts, my question was which one is faster CUDA or Open CL. There are varied opinions on this and boy this became confusing. I have the GTX680 2 GB version.

My question to you is this:

When you see the option for CUDA in Premiere Pro, do you also see an option for Open CL?

Have you tried running the system using each to see which is faster if either?

I understand from reading the CUDA is an older format, do you think Adobe is writing of Open CL and not CUDA because of this?

Thanks for the feedbak, I have very little knowledge in this area and this is helpful.

• 12. Re: What are the Best settings for GEforce GTX680 & Premiere Pro CC
                                ALLENT Level 1

LOL!  Yeah this topic pretty much defines confusing..... but YES, now I actually have 3 options available Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (CUDA, OPEN CL, and software only).  As to what is faster, I can't answer that at the moment, but since the GTX 680 has 1,500+ CUDA cores, to have this card and not be able to use CUDA was insane to my logic!  So I am now full CUDA capable.  I think faster is relative to what exactly you are using it for... I want timeline responsiveness and to be able to use my plug-ins in the maximum way.

• 13. Re: What are the Best settings for GEforce GTX680 & Premiere Pro CC
                                  kemitesound.com Level 1

Same here. Using Fast color corrector and Rgb curves was a disaster before getting this card. Where did you go to get the drivers? I looked on the website for the card and it covers mac pros up to 2010. We are using a 2012 model.

Should you decide to experiment to see who handles the plugins better Cuda or Open CL, please update this post. Congratulations!

• 14. Re: What are the Best settings for GEforce GTX680 & Premiere Pro CC
                                    federatedfilms

I own a Mid 2012 Mac Pro which had a ATI Radeon HD 5870 and replaced it with a GeForce GTX 680 bought from Amazon in the UK.

Card Installation - first issue I had was getting the old ATI card out, after undid the obvious screws it just wouldn't come out, so I read the Mac manual reminding me to press the button on the grey plastic card holder which moves a metal bar out the way, then it came out easily! Once card was installed I switched on the power and the Mac stayed on the grey Apple logo screen for 20 minutes. Called Nvidia in Germany and got a guy who only knew Windows who told me to reinstall the old card, delete the ATI drivers and try again, such a Windows tech support response! I knew this was not how Apple work, so I searched the forums and it turned out I need to fully turn the power off at the wall for both the Mac Pro and my 27" Apple Cinema Display as they seem to retain some settings from the previous setup. Once I did that, the Mac booted up correctly :-)

CUDA Drivers: It is very odd there is no mention of having to install the CUDA drivers in any of the documentation you get from Nvidia, but thanks to this forum thread I knew to go to the CUDA drivers page at http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/mac-driver-archive-uk.html

and downloaded the CUDA driver, it installed and when I ran my old premiere projects with an embed After Effects clip in them, unlike before wiht the ATI the timeline rendered them in real time, so that is a major improvement.

Dilema: only question left is whether to be using the CUDA settings or OpenCL option in the Premiere Pro CC > Projects Settings tab?

• 15. Re: What are the Best settings for GEforce GTX680 & Premiere Pro CC
                                      ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Always use CUDA with Nvidia cards. They perform far better with Cuda than they do with Open CL.

Eric

ADK