3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2017 1:13 PM by Tom_01

How to record the Up/Down arrow keys from the Timeline Shortcut Keys as an action?

NicolasMenard89

In Photoshop's Timeline, when the Timeline Shortcut Keys are activated, the Up and Down arrows are used to move to the In point and Out point of the current layer.

When you record yourself using those keys, Photoshop record it as a Go To action to a specific time, and not to the In point/Out point of the current layer.

Having this action properly recordable would solve many, many problems for the creation of very useful custom actions for Video Groups. For example:

• An action that flips through layers (Next Frame, Prev Frame), no matter the lenght of those layers. (In animation, sometimes a frame as to be hold for 3 frames, then the next one for 2 frames. They vary for better timing)
      • An action that creates a New Layer (New Frame) that is one frame long, no matter the framerate of the document
      • An action that would direct the playhead to the beginning of a newly created Layer.
      • Etc.

Otherwise, is there a way to access the code of these Up/Down arrow keys to chuck it in a script?

Let me know your thoughts.

Best,

Nicolas Ménard

(www.nicolasmenard.com)

• 1. Re: How to record the Up/Down arrow keys from the Timeline Shortcut Keys as an action?
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

NicolasMenard89 wrote:

In Photoshop's Timeline, when the Timeline Shortcut Keys are activated, the Up and Down arrows are used to move to the In point and Out point of the current layer.

When you record yourself using those keys, Photoshop record it as a Go To action to a specific time, and not to the In point/Out point of the current layer.

Having this action properly recordable would solve many, many problems for the creation of very useful custom actions for Video Groups. For example:

• An action that flips through layers (Next Frame, Prev Frame), no matter the lenght of those layers. (In animation, sometimes a frame as to be hold for 3 frames, then the next one for 2 frames. They vary for better timing)
          • An action that creates a New Layer (New Frame) that is one frame long, no matter the framerate of the document
          • An action that would direct the playhead to the beginning of a newly created Layer.
          • Etc.

Otherwise, is there a way to access the code of these Up/Down arrow keys to chuck it in a script?

Let me know your thoughts.

Best,

Nicolas Ménard

(www.nicolasmenard.com)

When recording many steps you perform manually are not recorded till you commit the step by clicking enter or start to perform some other step.  Things like transform move selection recordings is delayed so only the final commit state need be recorded,  Things like key presses are not recorded.  Tool recording was introduced in CS6 as an option so yof van record thing like brush strokes.  Thes only work are same size documents and Adobe disables the recording feature if you install Adobe's plug-in script listener. If the step recors you may be able to make the step interactive by turning on its dialog in the action step.

• 2. Re: How to record the Up/Down arrow keys from the Timeline Shortcut Keys as an action?
            NicolasMenard89 Level 1

Thanks for your reply. I understand how to record actions, but I realized I was asking for a new feature instead of asking a question.

I posted a feature request on the Photoshop dev forum here: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/properly_record_the_up_down_arrow_ke ys_from_the_timeline_shortcut_keys_as_an_action

• 3. Re: How to record the Up/Down arrow keys from the Timeline Shortcut Keys as an action?
              Tom_01 Level 1

Any update on this?

This user seems to have had success by putting the Up/Dn keystroke into a script:

https://forums.adobe.com/message/8756877#access_token=eyJ4NXUiOiJpbXNfbmExLWtleS0xLmNlciIs ImFsZyI6IlJTMjU2In0.eyJmZyI6Il…

I am going to try it.

UPDATE:

The link to the script no longer worked. However, for Windows, AutoHotkey works beautifully. Here is the short .ahk script I wrote:

---------------------AutoHotkey Script---------------------

^,::

send, {alt down}[{alt up}

send, {Up}

return

^.::

send, {alt down}]{alt up}

send, {Up}

return

#InstallKeybdHook

------------------------------------------------------------------

Pressing ctrl+, or ctrl+. results in the playhead and the selected layer moving back and forth in sync. They do not get out of sync, regardless of the frame's exposure length. The movement is based on the current selected layer, not the current location of the playhead.

AutoHotkey is free, but only runs on Windows. I believe Alfred is the Mac equivalent, and should be able to set up the same functionality (but I'm not sure).