11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2014 10:00 PM by A.T. Romano

Why is audio missing from MP4 video?

Val8583

I am using - - Adobe Premiere Elements 10, Windows OS7

I have 11GBs of high quality (1.5GB = 15 min) mp4 video clips and I would like to edit and burn a couple of DVDs. When I import the clips they look fine, but there is no audio. (Yes, I have audio elsewhere on my computer and can hear these clips when I use any other player.)

I tried converting them to .avi with Format Factory and I *can* hear them when I import to Adobe, but they are now "frozen" or "jumpy" and it is very difficult to navigate through the clips because the Play/Pause button has quite a time lag before responding.

Should I convert to some other format? I'd like to keep as much quality as possible. I did convert them all to VOBs and made a "test" disc, but it dropped 11GB down so low that it will all fit on a 4.7GB disc. I'd rather make 2 discs and keep the quality up (though the one I made looks and sounds pretty good).

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

• 2. Re: Why is audio missing from MP4 video?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Val8583

Have you done a gspot utility run through of your problem .mp4 video? If not, please do so in order to get a closer look at the video audio properites especially as they relate to Video Name Codec Status, Audio Name Codec Status, and all the rest.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

When you convert your video, to what are you converting it, video and audio and file extension wise?

As an aside, what is the video card that you are using for the computer on which Premiere Elements 10 is running on?

ATR

• 3. Re: Why is audio missing from MP4 video?
            Val8583 Level 1

This is way over my head. I read it, but I don't "get" it.

• 4. Re: Why is audio missing from MP4 video?
              Val8583 Level 1

No. I have not done this.

Specs on one of the video clips (all similar; same source)

MP4 - 1.33GB

Length: 00:14:06

Frame width: 1920

Frame height: 1080

Data rate: 13441kbps

Total bitrate: 13569kbps

Frame rate: 29 frames/second

Audio bit rate: 128kbps

Original format is mp4. I have Format Factory and another (Aieesoft?) converter and can convert to many different formats. VOBs worked fine, AVIs not so much, MP4s look great but have no sound - that is, no sound when imported to Adobe. I can hear them fine when I use a "regular" player.

• 5. Re: Why is audio missing from MP4 video?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Val8583

Please download the gspot utility cited. It will give us valuable information about installed codecs.

Sometimes these matters can be complicated by distinguishing between codec missing, codec unsupported, and codec not available to the program. Although the MediaInfo program gives a more comprehensive video audio properties readout, gspot is often very helpful with its report on Codec Status.

Please excuse if you know already, designations such as VOB, AVI, MP4 are wrapper/container formats can be used to wrap the video and audio compression of a video file. And, often these wrappers are associated with different video and audio compressions. Thus the importance of defining or trying to define the compression used for the problematic file.

We will be looking forward to your results on which to build if necessary.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Why is audio missing from MP4 video?
                  Val8583 Level 1

OK. I downloaded your gizmo. Here's what I got. (I picked the smallest file; they are all from the same source.)

On the left hand side it says:

(the location on my computer and the file size)

Container -

isom: MP4 Base Media v1 [ISO 14496-12:2003]

-iso2: MP4 Base Media v2 [ISO 14496-12:2005]

-avc1: MP4 Base w/AVC ext [ISO 14496-12:2005]

-mp41: MP4 v1 [ISP 14496-1:ch13]

Recommended Display Size: 1920x1080

Modified: 2014 Mar 09  10.00.11

User Data/Metadata -

(little symbol)too:Lavf54.6.100

Codec - mp4a:MPEG1

Info - 48000Hz (2chnls)

(dark blue button "1") Stat - Status Undetermined

On the right hand side it says:

Codec - avc1   Name - H 264/MPEG-4 AVC

Status - Codec Status Undetermined

Len 7:20.006 Fms 13,187 kbps 13491 Q 0.217

Pics/s 29.971 Frames/s 29.971

pic (w x 1920x1080

sar 1.778(16:9) par(nothing in the field) dar 1.778 (16:9)

At the bottom, where it says "Proposed Codec Solutions and Tests" there is nothing. (To the left of that, all the 1s are purple.)

I "opened" a few more pieces. I have a total of nine. All results are the same.

• 7. Re: Why is audio missing from MP4 video?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Val8583

Thanks for the very helpful information.

Referring to your Format Factory work....

What video compression and audio compression did you use with the .avi file extension when you took that Format Factory converted product into Premiere Elements 10 Windows?

From the details provided, your original file is AVCHD (video compression).mp4 1920 x 1080 at 29.97 frames per second (Audio compression = MPEG1 stereo), I cannot tell from that whether the frame rate is interlaced or progressive but we will not detour on that yet.

I would suggest that you convert your AVCHD.mp4 to H.264.mp4 1920 x 1080 at 29.97 progressive frames per second, with audio compresson being AAC Stereo. If you are used to the Format Factory software, use it. Or, look at others like HandBrake.

Then determine how Premiere Elements10 handles the video/audio for editing.

If you have what is called 1080p, then use the Premiere Elements project preset

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97

If you have what is called 1080i, then use the Premiere Elements project preset

NTSC

AVCHD

Full HD 1080i30

If not sure, pick one and move on. We will circle back to this point later. Right now we want to determine what gains, if any,

were made going the video/audio conversion workaround route.

More later.

Thanks

ATR

• 8. Re: Why is audio missing from MP4 video?
                      Val8583 Level 1

What video compression and audio compression did you use with the .avi file extension when you took that Format Factory converted product into Premiere Elements 10 Windows?

I did not "compress" anything. I just imported the the file with "Get Media from files/folders" as I usually do.

I would suggest that you convert your AVCHD.mp4 to H.264.mp4 1920 x 1080 at 29.97 progressive frames per second, with audio compresson being AAC Stereo. If you are used to the Format Factory software, use it. Or, look at others like HandBrake.

Yes, I am fairly familiar with Format Factory. I have never changed the default settings. I just drag/drop the files to "Convert All to (whatever)" and the software does it. I have never used HandBrake.

Then determine how Premiere Elements10 handles the video/audio for editing.

What files are you talking about? The original mp4s LOOK fine, but have no sound. The converted VOBs work just fine, as always. (This is the format I use most often.) The AVIs look/sound fine too, but they're "screwed up" somehow. The screen freezes while the audio continues to play, then the video leaps ahead and the audio (now out of sync) continues playing.

I have successfully burned a DVD using the VOBs. In doing this I "downsized" 11GB of mp4 to fit on a 4.7GB disc. The real question here is - - since I have such a large file, is there some other format I can use (which will most likely necessitate putting my project on two discs) so that there is as little loss of quality as possible? It seems like I'm "wasting" more than half the - I don't know what to call it - quality/strength/size of the file by squashing 11GB of source material onto a disc that's less than 5GB.

If you have what is called 1080p, then use the Premiere Elements project preset

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97

If you have what is called 1080i, then use the Premiere Elements project preset

NTSC

AVCHD

Full HD 1080i30

I've tried both of the above. When I use my "standard" setting - Widescreen 48kHz - it works fine with the VOBs. When I import the avi or mp4 files I get a popup msg that something is not compatible and Premiere Elements offers to "fix" the settings for me. When it does this, or when I manually enter either of the two settings you describe above, the problems are the same. The avis are screwy; mp4s are mute.

Maybe the VOBs are the best I can do. I don't understand why PrE - which claims to be able to handle multiple file formats, doesn't do what it promises.

[From their web page: ]  Supported file formats:

AVCHD, Blu-ray Disc (export only), DV-AVI (import/ export on Windows, import only on Mac OS), DVD, Dolby® Digital Stereo, H.264, HDV, MPEG-1 (import only), MPEG-2, MPEG-4, MP3, QuickTime, Windows Media (Windows only), and many more.

Thanks - I really appreciate your time a patience.

• 9. Re: Why is audio missing from MP4 video?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Val8583

Let me recap to make sure we are in sync on this.

Knowing what you started with and the video properties as they evolve through needed conversion....

You come telling us and demonstrating to us that you have source video

AVCHD.mp4 (1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 frames per second) and that has MPEG1 audio.

When you import that into Premiere Elements 10 Windows, you get video but no audio.

The destination for that Timeline is NTSC_Widescreen Dolby DVD.

In terms of setting the correct project settings, it would be important to know if you have

interlaced or progressive video. But, since you not hear audio at that point, more

important/pressing things to pursue.

Aside from the pressing audio issue, at this point the choice of project preset would still be

NTSC/AVCHD/Full HD1080i30 (if you have interlaced video)

or

NTSC/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p30@ 29.97 (if you have progressive video).

Either way, we need a 1920 x 1080 frame size project preset to match the 1920 x 1080 frame size of your source so that

when you are in the Edit area you can edit your video in the correct space there. The final export setting is another matter. You

should not be using a NTSC DV Widescreen project preset for a 1920 x 1080 video import.

AVCHD.mp4 with MPEG1 audio (no Premiere Elements sound) to ????.avi with ???? audio (unstable in Premiere Elements but with sound)

Conversion of the problem file sounds like a reasonable next step. And, you indicate that you do convert

to an ".avi" file which has then has audio with the video in Premiere Elements 10, but the file is highly

unstable in Premiere Elements 10. But, when I ask what video compression goes with the .avi wrapper, you

wrote

I just drag/drop the files to "Convert All to (whatever)" and the software does it.

All .avi files are not created equal. And, AVCHD.avi, if that is what you ended up with, is highly unstable, and for most will

not import into Premiere Elements. So, now the pressing questions include:

a. what is the video compression and audio compression and other properties of this .avi file with the stability problems in Premiere Elements 10

b. again, what are you setting as the project preset to match the properties specific to the source .avi.

Now back to the present

If you use Format Factory you should have control over your conversion settings. AVCHD.mp4 is a stable format for Premiere Elements. I suspect that the MPEG1 is problem. So, we agree conversion is the way.

I would suggest taking the time to set the settings for your converter so that you produce AVCHD.mp4 (1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second) and use AAC Stereo for the audio. Then bring that file into Premiere Elements 10 with the project preset of

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@ 29.97

and proceed, ending with the Share/Disc/DVD disc with preset = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

Since this project is destined for DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD, you could use your converter to produce NTSC DV AVI Widescreen and then import that into a Premiere Elements 10 project with the project preset =

NTSC

DV Widescreen

and proceed, ending with the Share/Disc/DVD disc with preset = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

As for disc capacity, the standard DVD disc 4.7 GB/120 minutes is in reality 4.38 GB. And the DVD disc double layer single sided 8.5 GB/240 minutes is in reality 7.38 GB. When you get to the burn dialog Quality Area (just before you hit Burn), look to see the values for Space Required and Bitrate (have a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space"). If you see a Bitrate reading below the max 8.00 Mbps, then go to the DVD double layer single sided disc or use two DVD standard discs.

Do your intended viewers have players that support playback of DVD double layer single sided discs?

Please review.

I will try to make the reply not so long next time. I wanted to cover all the bases this time.

We will be watching for your progress.

Any quesitons or need clarification on anything, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 10. Re: Why is audio missing from MP4 video?
                          Val8583 Level 1

NTSC/AVCHD/Full HD1080i30 (if you have interlaced video)

or

NTSC/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p30@ 29.97 (if you have progressive video).

I don't know how to tell if it's interlaced or progressive. The original file is mp4 out of a digital video camera. No, I don't know the specfics of what camera or the settings used while shooting.

You should not be using a NTSC DV Widescreen project preset for a 1920 x 1080 video import.

Yes, I know that. This is the setting I normally use with VOB files. In one of my "experiments" I purposely left it that way because PrE popped-up a "compatibility" warning and offered to fix it. I thought if I let it "fix" it itself it would pick the right thing.

when I ask what video compression goes with the .avi wrapper, you

wrote

I just drag/drop the files to "Convert All to (whatever)" and the software does it.

All .avi files are not created equal. And, AVCHD.avi, if that is what you ended up with, is highly unstable, and for most will

not import into Premiere Elements. So, now the pressing questions include:

a. what is the video compression and audio compression and other properties of this .avi file with the stability problems in Premiere Elements 10

b. again, what are you setting as the project preset to match the properties specific to the source .avi.

I did not "compress" anything. I merely "converted" the mp4 to avi with Format Factory.

BTW: This file looks/sounds fine when I play it on the computer.

If you use Format Factory you should have control over your conversion settings. AVCHD.mp4 is a stable format for Premiere Elements. I suspect that the MPEG1 is problem. So, we agree conversion is the way.

The audio and video for the mp4 and the avi files are fine in a number of regular players. No glitches, no jumping, nothing out of sync - they look and sound great.

I would suggest taking the time to set the settings for your converter so that you produce AVCHD.mp4 (1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second) and use AAC Stereo for the audio. Then bring that file into Premiere Elements 10 with the project preset of

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@ 29.97

Did that with the original mp4s. Looks great. NO AUDIO.

Since this project is destined for DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD, you could use your converter to produce NTSC DV AVI Widescreen and then import that into a Premiere Elements 10 project with the project preset =

NTSC

DV Widescreen

Did that with the avi files. I can hear it fine, but it's unstable.

As for disc capacity, the standard DVD disc 4.7 GB/120 minutes is in reality 4.38 GB. And the DVD disc double layer single sided 8.5 GB/240 minutes is in reality 7.38 GB. When you get to the burn dialog Quality Area (just before you hit Burn), look to see the values for Space Required and Bitrate (have a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space"). If you see a Bitrate reading below the max 8.00 Mbps, then go to the DVD double layer single sided disc or use two DVD standard discs.

Yes, I know this. Burning is not the problem. I've already burned the one I made with the mp4 files converted to VOBs. Looks/sounds/works great on the TV.

Do your intended viewers have players that support playback of DVD double layer single sided discs?

Yes.

Again, Thank you.

• 11. Re: Why is audio missing from MP4 video?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Val8583

Thanks for your further details.

It is late where I am. I will offer more comments in the morning from a fresher perspective and see what we can further offer

to help you with your proposed Premiere Elements workflow.

The answers may come from inspecting the MediaInfo readouts from the files that you are looking at.

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

They are far more comprehensive than other of its kind and it is free, but....

But, let us not do that just yet. And, when you do, use caution in your download and install choices since there can be

unwanted programs and toolbars that come with this very helpful video properties readout tool. So, let us do this only if it is obsolutely necessary.

Perhaps in your next report you might want to detail your choices when you say that you convert your mp4 to VOBs. Is this being done with Format Factory or something else? And, what audio comes along with this .VOB file?

As I said, I will re-read the whole thread in the morning to get a fresh perspective on the issue.

ATR