20 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2014 12:58 PM by A.T. Romano

Picture pixel sizing

buffalobluff

I have made a video using a Logitech webcam. It is in Adobe Premier Elements 10 in a WMV format. I want to insert jpeg pictures into the video and then burn it to a DVD. Could you advise me what pixel sizes I should size the pictures to for length and width to get the best playback on a dvd player? Thank you for any help

• 1. Re: Picture pixel sizing
          A.T. Romano Level 7

buffalobluff

What did you set as your Premiere Elements 10 project preset? NTSC or PAL DV Standard or other?

For a SD project, the typical not to exceed pixel dimensions for your photo would be 1000 x 750 pixels (landscape orientation).

No matter how great the resolution of the photo, all will be sized to the standard for the end product DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc

720 x 480 (NTSC)

720 x 576 (PAL)

Please let us know if this information targeted your question. If not, please supply more project details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Picture pixel sizing
            nealeh Level 5

If you just want to display static images then resize to the size ATR lists. If you are planning on doing any pans and zooms, make them a little larger e.g. 1000 x 750.

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 3. Re: Picture pixel sizing
              A.T. Romano Level 7

nealeh

If you just want to display static images then resize to the size ATR lists. If you are planning on doing any pans and zooms, make them a little larger e.g. 1000 x 750.

What is that all about? It sounds like you are not understanding "the size ATR lists".

I have given the 1000 x 750 (landscape) recommendation already. And that should in most cases allow for some panning and zooming.

Then you post the following suggestion.

If you are planning on doing any pans and zooms, make them a little larger e.g. 1000 x 750.

Where is that following?

I did not write to size to 720 x 480 nor 720 x 576. The program will do that automatically with the choice of burn to DVD-VIDEO. That was the point of what I wrote when I wrote

No matter how great the resolution of the photo, all will be sized to the standard for the end product DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc

720 x 480 (NTSC)

720 x 576 (PAL)

ATR

• 4. Re: Picture pixel sizing
                A.T. Romano Level 7

buffalobluff

I do not know if you are including pan and zoom effects in your Premiere Elements workflow. All these "do not exceed" pixel dimensions for stills are supposed to be close enough to the project preset frame size but yet leave some room for pans and zooms. No matter how high the resolution of your source stills, the end product will have the sizing for the standard for the export, for DVD-VIDEO 720 x 480 (NTSC) or 720 x 576 (PAL). Your specific computer resources and how many photos are involved can spell success or failure for the project.

If you are going to be using pan and zoom effects, we can discuss further the Pan and Zoom Tool for this purpose, and using it with and without

the Edit Menu/Preferences/General "Default Scale to Frame Size" used....or alternatively, leaving the Edit Menu/Preferences/

General "Default to Frame Size" enabled, and then controlling the option from Scale to Frame Size at the TImeline level.

There are circumstances when the classical do not exceed pixel dimensions recommendations for SD or HD still images can be stretched with crashing or compromising the project.

More on all of this later if interested.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Picture pixel sizing
                  buffalobluff Level 1

Hello Mr. Romano. Thank you for your reply. You are correct that I do not understand ATR listing. How can I access this information? If the computer sizes the photos when I burn the DVD is there any reason I should resize the pictures before I put them in my video? I do not know if someone will try to pan or zoom when they are watching the DVD. Yhank you.

• 6. Re: Picture pixel sizing
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

buffalobluff

Thanks for the reply.

Short Version

If I create a DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc based on Timeline content of video and photos, typically I will set the project settings to match the properties of the video and then size my photos beforehand to match the sizing of the project preset. But all sorts of variations are possible.

What I need from you are the properties of this wmv video from the webcam so that I can consider what would be the best sizing for the jpeg photos that you want to insert into your Timeline content. Here I would be looking frame size, frame rate, 4:3 or 16:9.

You resize photos if their being oversized for the project causes the project to fail in importing/editing/exporting.

Whatever the details of what is going on the Timeline, the project destined for DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc will have an end product frame size 720 x 480 (NTSC) or 720 x 576 (PAL). If you make your photos grossly oversized for those settings, you run the risk of project failures.

Longer Version

If you have time, please read on for an assortment of considerations that will get focused in on as we move forward.

When you burn your Timeline content to a disc, the end product is going to have whatever sizing is characteristic of the export format (independant of Adobe).

In the case of DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, the end product whether it is DVD-VIDEO standard 4:3 or DVD-VIDEO widescreen 16:9 will be

720 x 480 pixels if in a NTSC setup

720 x 576 pixels if in a PAL setup

The difference between standard 4:3 and standard widescreen 16:9 is that the widescreen 16:9 has a 16:9 flag that stretches the frame size for display after encoding.

So, the 720 x 480 for NTSC standard widescreen gets stretched to about 856 x 480 for display after encoding.

and, the 720 x 576 for PAL standard widescreen gets stretched to about 1024 x 576 for display after encoding.

It is a longer story as it relates the horizontal number, but for now you get the idea.

The bottom line is that you do not want to bring into the project a photo sized much greater than that of the settings that it is going to be forced into my settings. By doing that, you do not get a sharper image, and you may stress out the program in dealing with the images oversized for the project. Especially when you have a lot of them.

Latest versions of Premiere Elements and higher level of computer resources allow for more flexibility in looking at the classical pronoucements of

For SD, do not exceed 1000 x 750 pixels

For HD, do not exceed 2200 x 1258 pixels, but often seen from others as 2000 x 1500.

The rationale for not saying just use 720 x 480 or 720 x 576 is to allow for more room for applying pan and zoom effects to the project while you are still in the project. There is no attempt to guess what the viewer will be doing with the player being used. You do work with the Safety Margins on to guide you in editing to make sure you are not putting text or action in a place where they will be cut off by the TV DVD player. (another longer story involving what is referred to as TV Overscan.)

There is also the consideration of 3:2 or 4:3 photos going into 16:9 project.

Please let me know if you are OK with the above details. If not, please say so, and I will re-write whatever need clarification.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: Picture pixel sizing
                      buffalobluff Level 1

Hello Mr. Romano: I hope I have the info you require. The Logitech webcam is set at 1080P resolution. The video project setting is NTSE-DV- Standard 48 KHZ. Frame size is 720 H   480 V. Frame rate is 29.97  Standard NTSC video (4:3 interlacego). I have downloaded a free resizing program hoping it might be easy to use. It is a image resizer for Windows. I have sent an attachment picture to better describe it. I hope it comes thru. Do you think this would be ok to use?

• 8. Re: Picture pixel sizing
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

buffalobluff

Thanks for the reply with lots of helpful information for this Premiere Elements 10 project.

In the new project dialog, you are going to set the project preset for

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30

In Edit Menu/Preferences/General, work with a check mark next to "Default Scale to Frame Size"

You will use Premiere Elements 10 Get Media/Files and Folders to import your videos and photos

in the Project Media.

As this now relates to photos...let us aim for 1920 x 1080 (if you do not want to apply pan and zoom effects to your photos. Make copies of the originals and resize the copies. Your information about a free resizing program did not get posted. Maybe try again to post that information. Important to know right now is what are the pixel dimensions (width and height of photo in units of pixels) of each of your photos and how many of them are going into this project.

The end product is going to be NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD which is 16:9. So, we want the photos at 1920 x 1080 which is 16:9. You photos are probably 3:2 or 4:3. So, you may have to crop and resize the photos so that we get the best possible view selected. If you were going from 16:9 to 16:9, then resizing to 1920 x 1080 would be enough.

So right now, the need to know include

a. pixel dimensions of the photos going into the project

b. how many

c. what do your computer resources look like...installed and available RAM and free hard drive space.

Depending on the answer, we might want to explore not having to crop resize any of the photos.

ATR

• 9. Re: Picture pixel sizing
                          buffalobluff Level 1

Hello Mr. Romano: Thank you for your reply. The 1080P video I have recorded is 35 min. long. It was recorded with a green screen background that lets me change the background. This is now in my project with the NTSC-DV-Standard 48 kHz setting.

To answer your questions.

A. Photo pixel dims.? I will set them to any size. I just need to know what a good size is. Picasa 3 has a resize feature that provides one pixel dim. you can choose and it automatically adds the other appropriate pixel dimension. The size choices are 320-480-640-800-1024-1200-1600. I will be cropping all my photos because they need it.

B. I estimate 90 to 100 photos.

C. I have Windows 7 on my 64 bit computer. I have 8 GB ram. The computer is using about 25% now. The hard drive is 1 TB and I have about 980 GB of free space.

Are you suggesting I should start over using the NTSE-DSLR-1080P-DSLR1080P30 setting?

The resize program I tried to attach can be found at   imageresizer.codeplex.com.

I hope I have supplied the info you need.

Thank you again for any help!

• 10. Re: Picture pixel sizing
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

buffalobluff

I hope that I have caught you in time before you downloaded the Picasa 3 resizer.

I decided to download and install it so that I could work along with you with your photo resizing.

The download and attempted install brought programs that messed up my computer and cause major

disturbance with my browsers. It will take me a few hours to get back to normal.

The major culprit is this "mysearchdial" which takes control of your browsers.

Please let me know if you have had a successful download of that Picasa 3 resizer.

Make sure that you resize and maintain the pixel aspect ration of 16:9. The size choices that you gave made be wonder about that.

More later.

ATR

• 11. Re: Picture pixel sizing
                              buffalobluff Level 1

Hello Mr. Romano: I have had Picasa 3 on my computer for years with no trouble. It is just lately that I discovered the resize feature. How do I apply the 16:9 to my pixel choices?  Thank you .

• 12. Re: Picture pixel sizing
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

buffalobluff

THanks for the reply.

I have had some very helpful 3rd party software on my computer for years. Great programs, but I have found that many of them are now coming from the download site will unwanted and annoying "bonus" items no matter how careful you are in the download and install choices. I suspect Picasa 3 (old vs new download time wise) may be involved here. I have seen this type of thing with valuable free programs such as MediaInfo and ImgBurn.

If necessary, I will see if I can find a more secure place from which to download Picasa 3. But for now:

Is there a Custom resize choice in the Picasa 3 resizing area? If so, please set for 1920 width in pixels and 1080 height in pixels. That 1920 x 1080 is a 16:9. Something like 1600 x 1080 is not, more like 3:2.

Please let me know if you find that Cuatom choice and whether it works for you. If so, try it out with a few photos as a mini test run.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: Picture pixel sizing
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

buffalobluff

I have not gotten up enough courage togay to try for another Picasa download, but I have been checking out online how tos on the program.

http://picasageeks.com/2012/02/picasa-tip-resizing-a-pictures-height-and-width/

Please let me know if my conclusions are going in the right directions for you so that we can get these photos into Premiere Elements project (described previously)

1. Resize Command appears to go to 1600 (pixels for the longest side. No 1920 pixels choice.)

2. However, if you set the Cropping and Aspect Ratio section of Picasa for "16:9 : HDTV" in conjunction with the 1600 Resizing choice, I am guessing that the program is going to give you 1600 x 900 which should be usable in the Premiere Elements project and should import without black borders if you leave the preferences "Default Scale to Frame Size" active.

Please give that a look, and then I will decide whether or not to go for the Picasa download again.

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: Picture pixel sizing
                                    buffalobluff Level 1

Hello Mr. Romano: Do not pursue Picasa. I have tried the Image Resizer(This is not a part of Picasa) because it has the 1920-1080 option but when I tried to change a 1099-1335 photo it did not change to 1920-1080. I am going to try some other options and I will let you know what I find.  Thank you for your replys.

• 15. Re: Picture pixel sizing
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

buffalobluff

Thanks for the update.

If you have not already, maybe take a look at the free Irtanview program for cropping and resizing.

http://www.irfanview.com/

If you have Photoshop Elements, we can get the job done with that.

But, if you have a plan already in the works, let us see how that works out first.

Best wishes

ATR

Add On...I do have Irfanview and Photoshop Elements (several different versions) already installed on my computer.

I installed Irfanview a while back so I do not know how its current download/installing procedure proceeds regarding

these unexpected unwanted add on programs.

• 16. Re: Picture pixel sizing
                                        nealeh Level 5

buffalobluff wrote:

when I tried to change a 099-1335 photo it did not change to 1920-1080.

That's not going to be possible in ANY program without significant distortion.

1920x1080 is in the ratio 16:9.

1099x1335 is in the (approximate) ratio 13:16.

To make an image suitable for 16:9 you will need to CROP rather than resize the image.

You might want to add the amazing free xnview to the list of programs to try for cropping. As well as allowing you to select a crop size, you can also pick a ratio you want to crop to.

1.png

Cheers,
                                        --
                                        Neale
                                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 17. Re: Picture pixel sizing
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

nealeh

Back in post 9, buffalobluff has indicated that cropping of photos is already part of the workflow.

I will be cropping all my photos because they need it.

Post 9 followed by post 8 relating to cropping and resizing considerations.

ATR

• 18. Re: Picture pixel sizing
                                            buffalobluff Level 1

Hello Mr. Romano: I have tried changing pixel dims.in many programs but no program will change the photos to 1920x1080. They always end up a different size after I choose a 1920x1080 setting.I have tried Picasa-Paint-Image Resizer-Adobe Elements 10. In my Adobe Elements 10 book by Steve Griselli 0n page 46 the author advises to stay within 1000x750 pixels to use in a video.Why are we trying for 1920x1080? It is very confusing. Thank you for any help.

• 19. Re: Picture pixel sizing
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

buffalobluff

You have video 1920 x 1080 going into this project. That is your major focus. The program allows for only one project preset and, in this case, I am pointing you to that focus 1920 x 1080. If you put 16:9 photos into that project the should have width x height (in pixels) not to exceed 1920 x 1080 (which is 16:9). You will have images in your project without black borders.

The best information that I have from you is that you have 90 to 100 photos. I still am not sure of the pixel dimensions or range of pixel dimensions with which you are dealing. There are two factors that you need to consider (I have written about this previously).

a. Aspect Ratio 16:9. If your photos are 3:2 going into a 16:9 project, you want to convert your photos into 16:9 not to exceed 1920 x 1080 by cropping.

If you use something like Photoshop Elements and its Crop Tool and do one photo at a time, you can crop to exactly 1920 x 1080 in a process where you select that area of the photo to be viewed.

Let me give you an example

Say you use the Photoshop Elements Crop tool and specify 1920 x 1080 which is 16:9. Your image will be that 1920 x 1080 16:9 and be within the recommendation.

Say you use the Photoshop Elements Crop tool and specify 5000 x 2813 which is also 16:9. Your image will be OK 16:9 wise but not OK with regard to "not to exceed 1920 x 1080".

When you resize photos, you need to consider also (a) downscaling is OK but (b) upscaling can lead to pixelation depending how much you upscale.

Now with all that said and done....

1. Do you have Photoshop Elements? If so, use its Crop Tool and do the photos individually rather looking for a batch crop conversion in another program which may not give the right look for all. That will give you the right aspect ratio for the project as well as an appropriate pixel dimension to make the project run smoother as well as the look that you want.

2. Do you have Microsoft Office Picture Manager which comes with the Microsoft Office Suite. That does a good job of cropping t0 1920 x 1080.

More shortly.

ATR

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...Please let us know pixel dimension values for what we are working with regarding the original photos.

• 20. Re: Picture pixel sizing
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

buffalobluff

A short answer to

In my Adobe Elements 10 book by Steve Griselli 0n page 46 the author advises to stay within 1000x750 pixels to use in a video.

I do not have his book to view that sentence in full context....he may have overlooked including a vital part of that recommendation or you may have overlooked it.

That specific recommendation is for a

NTSC DV Standard project

which you do not have. If you want to use that recommended photo sizing recommendation for SD instead of HD for your project then

a. Resize the photos not to exceed 1000 x 750

b. Set your project preset to NTSC DV Widescreen

b. In the opened project, scale down your 1920 x 1080 video to fit the 720 x 480 space in the Edit area monitor

d. In the opened project, scale your photos if needed to fit the 720 x 480 16:9 space in the Edit area monitor

e. Export the Timeline content to NTSC DV Widescreen

I would not go that route.

I believe the way that I have suggested with the priority to the video will end up giving you sharper photo in the end product.

ATR