13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2014 8:14 AM by A.T. Romano

How do I micro adjust the horizontal position of a clip in PRE 12?

WaltMaken

I have a clip in Video 1 that contains audio obtained with a wireless mic system. I'm trying to synchronize video from a second camera by placing the second camera's video in Video 2. I want to adjust the position of the clip in Video 2 so as to match the physical actions taking place in Video 1. In trying to drag the clip in Video 2, I'm finding it difficult to do that synchronizing. Is there a way to be able to use the left and right arrows, so as to micro adjust the clip in Video 2 instead of the hit and miss by trying to drag?

• 1. Re: How do I micro adjust the horizontal position of a clip in PRE 12?
          nealeh Level 5

No you can't, but if you zoom in to the maximum level each division on the timeline represents a single frame, the smallest unit you can work with in PRE. This makes it easier to drag frame by frame.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 2. Re: How do I micro adjust the horizontal position of a clip in PRE 12?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

As Neale points out, micro-adjustment is by manually dragging the position of the Clip.

I find it better to do this, as Neale points out, with the Timeline zoomed in, and I turn the Snap function OFF. Snap toggles with the S key. With Snap OFF, the program does not attempt to "help" you align that position with anything else on the Timeline (the movement is then free flow). When finished, you might want to turn Snap back ON, as it can be helpful for alignment of other Clips.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How do I micro adjust the horizontal position of a clip in PRE 12?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

WaltMaken

Your question as I read it specifically is....

Is there a way to be able to use the left and right arrows, so as to micro adjust the clip in Video 2 instead of the hit and miss by trying to drag?

I am not sure where nealeh and Hunt are coming from on this. I cannot confirm nealeh's apparent "No you can't" to your question and Hunt's follow up

As Neale points out, micro-adjustment is by manually dragging the position of the Clip.

My answer would be can do

(assuming a left to right movement in this specific example....)

a. select the clip to be moved

b. hold down the Alt key of the computer main keyboard and tap the right arrow key tap by tap....1 tap = 1 frames movement per tap

c. hold down the Shift+Alt key of the computer main keyboard and tap the right arrow key tap by tap....1 tap = 5 frames movement per tap

Please check it out and let us know if that works for you with or without the Snap disabled.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: How do I micro adjust the horizontal position of a clip in PRE 12?
                nealeh Level 5

Extraordinarily weird. By persevering I can sometimes get the clip to move with the alt-key, perhaps once in eight. Mostly though it just activates and scrolls along the menus.

But as a workaround I've discovered that with the shift modifier, if I move it the five frames then release the shift key but keep alt pressed then the clip will move without the menus activating.

I wonder if it's a keyboard driver thing.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 5. Re: How do I micro adjust the horizontal position of a clip in PRE 12?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

nealeh

This Alt + arrow key and Shift+Alt + arrow key are not something new.

It works for me Windows XP 32 bit, Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit and Premiere Elements versions 4 through 12.

It is also described by Adobe documentation as I have indicated works for me.

If an Alt + arrow key does not respond on your first try, then reselect the ciip and Alt + arrow with your expanded Timeline.

ATR

• 6. Re: How do I micro adjust the horizontal position of a clip in PRE 12?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

With the term "micro-adjust," I assumed that the OP was referring to increments of less than one Frame - the smallest increment allowed, when adjusting Video.

In some other programs, the TimeCode can be changed, say to Audio Units. Then, but only with the Audio, the Clip can be micro-adjusted, at a base of the Audio Units, say 1/48,000 of a sec.

Hunt

• 7. Re: How do I micro adjust the horizontal position of a clip in PRE 12?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

WlatMaken

In view of Hunt's explanation for his cannot do with regard to your question, I would ask for a clarification on your side.

Do you seek a user control that would move the video clip in units less than 1 frame using the arrow keys?

I interpreted your question as a contrast between manually dragging a clip versus a more controlled way to do that, "micro" not in units but

meaning in smaller incrrements than could be achieved by manual dragging on the clip.

And you are dealing with an video clip as opposed to just an audio clip. Is that correct?

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: How do I micro adjust the horizontal position of a clip in PRE 12?
                        WaltMaken Level 1

ATR,

Thanks for your input, definitely helpful.

And to clarify, no I wasn't looking to move in units less than one frame. My loose usage of the term "micro" may have been inaccurate, but what i was meaning to convey was that I wanted to be able to "fine tune" video & audio in tracks above the main #1 track so as to synchronize both video & audio of those additional tracks. The alt-arrow definitely lets me do that and is preferable to the more impreciseness of using the mouse. However, as Neale and Bill Hunt were kind enough to take time to input, zooming in on the timeline is helpful too.

Thanks to all of you for your help. Much appreciated.

Walt

• 9. Re: How do I micro adjust the horizontal position of a clip in PRE 12?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Walt

Thanks for the follow up.

We are glad for the opportunity to be of assistance.

ATR

• 10. Re: How do I micro adjust the horizontal position of a clip in PRE 12?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Walt,

Another "thank you" for that information. I imagined something slightly different.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 11. Re: How do I micro adjust the horizontal position of a clip in PRE 12?
                              WaltMaken Level 1

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Hi. I thought that all of you who were kind enough to take the time to help me with your suggestions would enjoy seeing some actual fruit of those suggestions. If you go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCNjEqbNjtY , you'll see a video that utilizes the "picture in picture" capability of PRE 12. I needed the suggestions you gave in order to line up the PIP with the main footage.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions. Definitely appreciated.

Walt

• 12. Re: How do I micro adjust the horizontal position of a clip in PRE 12?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Walt,

Great, and thank you for posting the fruits of your labor.

It looks like you have PiP down to a science.

Happy editing,

Hunt

• 13. Re: How do I micro adjust the horizontal position of a clip in PRE 12?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Walt

Thanks for the sample of your project.

A good job with the Picture in Picture Effect, BUT...what appears to be being overlooked is the great great job you did with Premiere Elements to achieve the "multicamera editing" effect. Very well done and effective.

This was not just an ordinary placement of video into a video effect.

Best wishes

ATR