10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2014 11:16 AM by JJMack

Adjustment Brush & Smart Objects

Jack Banatoni Level 1

I have a smart object (from a CR2 RAW file) duplicated as several layers in my projects.  If I change - for example - the color temperature on one instance, it updates every instance.  If I add an adjustment brush, though, it doesn't do this.  Why?  Is there a way I can make an adjustment brush applies to all instances of the same smart object?

Thanks!

jb

• 1. Re: Adjustment Brush & Smart Objects
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

I can’t reproduce that behaviour, could you please post some screenshots to illustrate the issue?

• 2. Re: Adjustment Brush & Smart Objects
            JJMack Most Valuable Participant

You duplicated the layer the wrong way so your layers share a common object. You need to duplicate the layer so the new smart object layer embedded object is an independent embedded object. You do this by using menu Layer>Smart Objects>New Smart Object via Copy. With Photoshop CC if  the original smart object layer was created  by placing in the raw file you may need to use CC "Place embedded" not "Place linked" version of Photoshop prior to CC only had a "Place" option all place raw files were embedded and independent from the original RAW file.

I just did a test  Place Embedded and Place Linked while Place Linked look like it works correctly when you use Layer>Smart Objects>New Smart Object via Copy  it does not. While it look you can adjust the layers independently  for only the adjust layer display is changed. You actually adjust the original RAW files ACR settings and when you re-open the other layer you will get the ACR setting associated with the original raw file. Both smart object layers object are linked to the original RAW file so the are not independent smart objects.

This also means if you adjust a linked placed smart object you adjust the original raw file all your other assets that use that raw file  as a linked object will be updated if you open these assets in the future in Photoshop CC.  Those assets with linked placed object may not open in prior versions of Photoshop for there is no support for linked smart objects in prior versions of Photoshop.

Message was edited by: JJMack

Using ACR Open Object works correctly for the smart object layer added has an embedded object a copy of the RAW file its not a linked object. So

Layer>Smart Objects>New Smart Object via Copy. will produce independent embedded object the can be adjusted independently.

• 3. Re: Adjustment Brush & Smart Objects
              Jack Banatoni Level 1

Thanks for the info.  In this case, I actually do want all my Smart Objects to work off the same RAW info so I can update several instances of the layers at one time.  It works with everything except Adjustment Brushes for me.

My workflow has been:

Open images in Camera Raw 8.3

Insert object into Photoshop project

Duplicate project in Photoshop (via ctrl+j), multiple times

Now I'd like to go back and fine tune a hot spot in the image with an adjustment brush.  I was hoping I would only have to do this once, but based on your info it sounds like I'd need to re-do a lot of work either way at this point.  Is that the case?

Thanks,

jb

• 4. Re: Adjustment Brush & Smart Objects
                c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

I can’t reproduce that behaviour, could you please post some screenshots to illustrate the issue?

• 5. Re: Adjustment Brush & Smart Objects
                  c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

Just to test: If you change the Exposure and apply an Adjustment Brush in one editing of the SO do all instances update the Exposure but not the Adjustment Brush?

• 6. Re: Adjustment Brush & Smart Objects
                    Jack Banatoni Level 1

I was just putting together a screen shot for you (using a test image - unfortunately, I can't post the client's work) and find that the adjustment brush applies to all instances of the Smart Object (as it should).  This is exactly what I wanted it to do in my other project.  Why it's working in this case, but not my real-world project is beyond me.  I've followed the same process.

• 7. Re: Adjustment Brush & Smart Objects
                      c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

Have you tried exporting the SO from the one instance that updated (Layer > Smart Objects > Export Contents) and then replacing the other (Layer > Smart Objects > Replace Contents)?

• 8. Re: Adjustment Brush & Smart Objects
                        Jack Banatoni Level 1

Thanks for the tip.  Just tried that and it reset all the RAW info to default (including orientation) with no adjustment brush.

Even more baffling is, after trying this, double clicking on my other Smart Objects shows they are also back to default.  If I open another project (with the same Smart Objects), open them in project 2, then return to the first, the original SO are back to my preferred settings.

I'm in the latest version of Photoshop CC, Win 7 Pro 64, 16GB ram, i7-4770, GTX 770 2GB.  I'm working in a PSB file because this is a huge project.  Perhaps, I'm just pushing Photoshop beyond its limits?

• 9. Re: Adjustment Brush & Smart Objects

Jack Banatoni wrote:

I was just putting together a screen shot for you (using a test image - unfortunately, I can't post the client's work) and find that the adjustment brush applies to all instances of the Smart Object (as it should).  This is exactly what I wanted it to do in my other project.  Why it's working in this case, but not my real-world project is beyond me.  I've followed the same process.

When you use Ctr+J to dupe a Smart Object Layer there is only one smart object. All layer created with Ctrl+J share the single embedded object. This is typically done to create Picture packages.  Each smart Object layer can sized and positioned to form a picture package composite.  When you replace or modify the content of the single shared embedded object all layers that share that object contents will change. If you want only one layer to change the layers must have independent embedded object as I describe in my previous append.

• 10. Re: Adjustment Brush & Smart Objects

How are you creating the first smart object layer before any Ctrl+J. If you are using CC new feature menu File>Place Linked.  All the smart object layers will be link to the original RAW file.  Any change to that RAW file ACR settings will be reflected into you smart objects layers. If you save  your document as a layered file that contains smart object layers linked to some RAW file. It will stay the way it was saved. If you then change the RAW file ACR settings that saved layered file will not be changed. However if you open that saved document again in Photoshop. Photoshop  will update any linked embedded object that have been changed since the document was saved. If any linked object link has been broken Photoshop has a feature whereby you can browse and fix the broken link. If you look at Photoshop CC menu Layer>smart Objects... you should see several new item in the list that deal with Linked embedded objects.

Capture.jpg