16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2014 11:33 AM by the_wine_snob

RGB vs CMYK

Eagleswings

Photoshop is opening in RGB 8bit and changes all the colours of evderything I open to be brassy... how do I change the default back to CMYK?

• 1. Re: RGB vs CMYK
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

to be brassy...

Could you please post a screenshot to illustrate the issue?

Did you open an existing file or create a new one?

In the latter case you can set the Color Mode yourself in the File > New dialog.

• 2. Re: RGB vs CMYK
            D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Photoshop opens the file as it is. If it opens as RGB, that's what the file is. This isn't something that is assigned on opening.

A mode change (which in reality is an icc profile conversion between whatever you have set as your working spaces), isn't going to change the colors beyond gamut limitations. If there's a dramatic change from what it should be something else is happening.

• 3. Re: RGB vs CMYK
              Eagleswings Level 1

Wow…. that was easy… I have asked numbers people and tried all I knew to try…. that seems to have done the trick!

Still not sure how it got to that preset or how to change the default back to CMYK

Thank you so much for your help

Linda Cove

Eagle Worldwide Ministries

[Personal information removed for pricacy - Hunt]

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt

• 4. Re: RGB vs CMYK
                c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

You may want to remove your email-address from your last post.

If the clipboard contains RGB content the New-dialog may offer that by default.

• 5. Re: RGB vs CMYK
                  Eagleswings Level 1

Even if I open a blank page it automatically opens in RGB and I have to change it ... every picture I open... opens up in RGB and changes the colours ... eg a golden coloured lion will open up to look extremely orange.

• 6. Re: RGB vs CMYK
                    c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Like twenty_one said, Photoshop does not just change CMYK images to RGB (there are options to have it do that, but they are practically too involved to happen by accident).

If the image is RGB then Photoshop naturally opens it as such.

But if it is unprofiled Photoshop will use its RGB Working Space to determine its appearance.

Do the images have their Profiles embedded?

• 7. Re: RGB vs CMYK
                      Eagleswings Level 1

Thank you

How do I hide my email?

In preferances it says that only I can see it???

• 8. Re: RGB vs CMYK
                        D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you're creating a new file cp gave you the answer (I assumed opening existing files).

Still, such a dramatic change sounds a bit odd - but it's impossible to say without more specifics.

• 9. Re: RGB vs CMYK
                          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

How do I hide my email?

In post 3 you seem to have added your email and phone number in the reply.

You may want to to edit the emessage.

What are your Edit > Color Settings?

How do you know the image is supposed to look differently, what do you compare it to?

Please post a screenshot.

• 10. Re: RGB vs CMYK
                            Eagleswings Level 1

As you can probably tell I'm not an expert at this.... I have had my mac just over a year and been working.... learning photoshop as I go along for about 3 years.

I first noticed the change when I produced a brochure and the reds printed brown and dull...

the printer said it was because it was in RGB.... I had always been working in CMYK and was not sure how it got changed over... then I began to notice that the files I opened where brassy.... harsh in colour ... not at all what they looked like if I just opened then in preview.

I just tried going back to the defaults by deleting my preferences ... but that didn't seem to make any difference at all.

• 11. Re: RGB vs CMYK
                              Eagleswings Level 1

not sure how to unadd my personal info???

• 12. Re: RGB vs CMYK
                                c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

RGB – which RGB Space?

CMYK – which CMYK Space?

Once again:

What are your Edit > Color Settings?

Do the images have their Profiles embedded?

• 13. Re: RGB vs CMYK
                                  c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

In the browser is there a line below that post that reads something like

Reply | Edit | Delete | Translate

?

If so hit »Edit«.

• 14. Re: RGB vs CMYK
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

How do I hide my email?

I have removed that for you.

It appears that you probably replied to the forum via an e-mail client, or mobile device, and the signature was added, when you posted. You might not have been able to see it, at the time. When replying via an e-mail client, or mobile device, I would turn Signatures OFF in the app.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: RGB vs CMYK
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

The poster can only use Edit, if no one has Replied to their post. After there is a Reply, even if from them, the Edit capability disappears. At that point, a MOD, or Administrator would need to do the Edit, which is what I did in this case.

Hunt

• 16. Re: RGB vs CMYK
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Eagleswings,

Glad that you found the answers to your question.

The reason for the recommendation to not post private data is because the Adobe Forum is open, and spam'bots crawl it all day long, hoping to harvest any POP addresses, to fill one's InBox with spam.

Data, like telephone numbers could get into the wrong hands too.

Many of the MOD's try to patrol the threads, to help remove any personal data, to maintain the poster's privacy.

Good luck, and glad that the forum could help you.

Hunt