4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 10, 2014 3:10 PM by vmedium RSS

Make the default option in settings to show H.264 output module

vmedium Community Member

Currently you have to check a box, and then build a module for H.264 export.

We all get it that you want people to use Media Encoder. But I never use it. It forces me to render a separate file, then re-render that file. I don't need the extra lossless files floating around my machine, and H.264 mp4's looks great coming straight out of after effects.

Since upgrading I've had to help at least 4 people to set up their output workflow. They all went back to making huge MOV files.

• 1. Re: Make the default option in settings to show H.264 output module
          Dave LaRonde Community Member

If you have an h.264 mp4 output module already built, and you're happy with the way it looks, why not just make it the default?  You can do that, y'know....

• 2. Re: Make the default option in settings to show H.264 output module
            vmedium Community Member

I'm talking about the default option in settings/preferences. Sorry if I wasn't totally clear.

After Effects > Preferences > Output > "Show Deprecated Formats in Output Module Settings"

Default options is Unchecked. I believe it should be checked, and if someone hates having those abilities, then they can uncheck it. This would allow for the most users to have a nice time. 

This isn't a problem of me understanding, this is a problem of most people I know that upgraded pinging me going .. 'uh.. what happened to H.264 / MP4s' then I walk them through it. It's happened 4 times now, so I thought it was worth a mention.

• 3. Re: Make the default option in settings to show H.264 output module
              Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

Please submit a feature request for this, or any other change you'd like to see in After Effects.

The H.264 encoder, and MPEG4, MPEG2 and Windows Media, are hidden behind that preference in After Effects CC because After Effects uses an old version of our encoder architecture. It has a significant number of bugs and quality problems. AME and Premiere Pro use a newer, much better version of the encoder architecture.

Updating and maintaining the encoder architecture in After Effects is a significant amount of work. Any time we spend working on the encoders is time taken away from other improvements we could be making to After Effects. The After Effects team decided that we should devote our limited resources to our core competencies: motion graphics and visual effects software. While we recognize that the encoding step is an integral part of those disciplines, AME has better architecture and a dedicated team for these technologies. The After Effects team plans to improve our workflow with AME and let the AME team focus on the encoding side.

We're interested in your feedback on this topic, and whether or not you think we're taking the right approach. Please let us know what you think.

One final note: you are not forced to render your comp to a file for AME, it can encode your After Effects comp directly. After Effects is, however, faster than AME at encoding comps in many cases. Part of improving the workflow is making AME faster at encoding After Effects comps. We welcome you to submit a feature request for that or any other improvement you'd like to see in AME.

• 4. Re: Make the default option in settings to show H.264 output module
                vmedium Community Member

Makes total sense. I get it. I agree.

I personally have had little to no bugs or problems with the H.264/mp4 and at work it's the default workflow for a lot of people.

I'll try out the AME workflow and try to move people towards that. I wasn't aware of direct comp exports. Thanks for the help on that.