Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF Bookmark works on 1st click only :(

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2014 Mar 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all:

I've gotten links to PDFs in my RoboHelp project to work, but have one problem that I cannot seem to solve.  This issue happens with IE and Chrome (have not tried Safari) but not with FireFox.  The first time I click a PDF link from my WebHelp project (yes, it's posted on a server), the help link works fine. The PDF opens to the named destination.  Subsequent links to different destinations in the same PDF, however, update the browser with the proper URL but the PDF does not change to the new location. 

eg:

Link1:

http://10.20.160.7:8080/help/test/cdm_agent_guide.pdf#cdmasi

Displays the PDF opened to the page tagged with cdmasi

then click this:

http://10.20.160.7:8080/help/test/cdm_agent_guide.pdf#cdmacdm

Page seems to be loading but...

URL status bar shows the above URL, but the PDF has remained on the ASI topic (Chrome) or a blank page displays.

Click the URL bar and refresh to load the link

The PDF moves to the correct topic.

Note:

This behavior is the same whether i use foo.pdf#nameddest=string  or foo.pdf#string

Again, if I use FireFox, the pages load great. In IE/Chrome, not.

Deets:

IE 11.0.9600.16428

Chrome 33.0.1750.146

Firefox 27.01

Windows 7

RoboHelp 10

Acrobat Pro X

Acrobat Read 10.1.9

I am pretty sure this is not a security thing or the first instance would fail. Also, it's not a Mark of the Web thing; we dont have that enabled for the project.

Am I missing something obvious about forcing a refetch of the PDF?

D

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2014 Mar 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it second calls to PDFs or just second calls? Second calls can be a problem. See Calling WebHelp on my site.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2014 Mar 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter:

Thanks for the reply. It's only an issue with PDFs. I have topics with embedded <a name> targets and those work just fine as well as any subsequent links within the help set.  It honestly seems as though once the PDF is displayed in the browser, the browsers consider any subsequent link to it as the same URL even if there are a string of #options following the PDF file name. I would think it a server issue if not for FireFox working perfectly.

D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2014 Mar 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if there is anything in the Acrobat forum that would help? Maybe others have experienced with links from websites rather than webhelp.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2014 Mar 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Peter:

I did cross post to that forum yesterday.  I had been avoiding it because most of the postings there seemed from general users versus content developers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp