6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2006 3:14 AM by

    Some characters not displaying :/

      I have a text box in wich I import an external txt file.
      Everything seemed to be working fine including url encoding things like &, @, % etc.
      But when I want to use something like an ö, ï, é or something like that the character turns up as a diamond with a '?' in it :/
      In particular I need the ë atm wich should be coded as %EB but you guessed it, it doesn't show.
      I've tried a few different encodings but all with the same (Or worse^^) result.
      Anyone any idea of what's going on?
        • 1. Re: Some characters not displaying :/
          TimSymons Level 1
          Did you make sure to embed those characters with your font? There are a lot of options when you click on the "Embed..." button. Also, you should make sure that the font you are using supports those characters as well. Most fonts do but I thought I would mention it just incase you might be using a specialize font.

          Tim
          • 2. Re: Some characters not displaying :/
            Level 7
            >I have a text box in wich I import an external txt file.
            > Everything seemed to be working fine including url encoding things like &,
            > @,
            > % etc.

            I'm sorry to say I don't have an answer to your question but I do have a
            question for you. I am having difficulty getting an ampersand to display
            correctly. I have used the html "&" but that doesn't work. Since you
            have it listed as one of the characters that you have successfully encoded,
            would you mind please telling me how you did it. I tried embedding the
            glyphs but it broke my txt file.

            Thanks in advance.

            "TaoHunter" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:eha19g$hv8$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >I have a text box in wich I import an external txt file.
            > Everything seemed to be working fine including url encoding things like &,
            > @,
            > % etc.
            > But when I want to use something like an ?, ?, ? or something like that
            > the
            > character turns up as a diamond with a '?' in it :/
            > In particular I need the ? atm wich should be coded as %EB but you guessed
            > it,
            > it doesn't show.
            > I've tried a few different encodings but all with the same (Or worse^^)
            > result.
            > Anyone any idea of what's going on?
            >
            >


            1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Some characters not displaying :/
              quote:

              Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
              I'm sorry to say I don't have an answer to your question but I do have a
              question for you. I am having difficulty getting an ampersand to display
              correctly. I have used the html "&amp;" but that doesn't work. Since you
              have it listed as one of the characters that you have successfully encoded,
              would you mind please telling me how you did it. I tried embedding the
              glyphs but it broke my txt file.



              Take a look at this page it lists all those characters with their codes: Usually these work for me just fine

              http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_14143
              Tried to embed the characters needed but still no result I use a simple verdana for the text and device fonts so there shouldn't actually be a problem there :/
              • 4. Re: Some characters not displaying :/
                lergo
                I had the same problem, but found the solution.

                Try :
                1. Encode the external file to Unicode. I think the default is ANSI. I use Notepad 2. Go File->Encoding and switch to Unicode. Save the document. Also make sure you have embedded the special chars/letters in the dynamic textfield.

                2. If this doesn't work, enclose the text in this tag. E.g. <![CDATA[Your text éäé]]>

                Hope this helped. If not, I can upload a sample file.
                1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Some characters not displaying :/
                  Level 7
                  Thanks TaoHunter, that did the trick.

                  "lergo" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:ehihih$o64$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >I had the same problem, but found the solution.
                  >
                  > Try :
                  > 1. Encode the external file to Unicode. I think the default is ANSI. I use
                  > Notepad 2. Go File->Encoding and switch to Unicode. Save the document.
                  > Also
                  > make sure you have embedded the special chars/letters in the dynamic
                  > textfield.
                  >
                  > 2. If this doesn't work, enclose the text in this tag. E.g. <![CDATA[Your
                  > text éäé]]>
                  >
                  > Hope this helped. If not, I can upload a sample file.
                  >
                  >


                  1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Some characters not displaying :/
                    Seems like I solved the problem :D
                    I was encoding the text as UTF-8.
                    Now I've encoded it as UTF-16
                    Now I can just use the é, û etc in my textfile without encoding them and the 'special' characters as %xx

                    (Funny how things can turn out to be so simple^^)

                    Thanks for the help guys, it did help a lot to solve the problem.