9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2014 10:05 AM by AJKong

Canoma functions realised in Photoshop CS Extended??

AJKong

Hi, I was a professional user of Canoma (1) in a now bankrupt company in the Netherlands.

Now I'm teaching math at a secondary school. For a tiny project I would like to use Canoma with a few of my students.

Or is all functionality present in another Adoby product? I'm afraid that Canoma has just been taken off the market without any replacement.

Direct contact with someone who can allow me the use of the Canoma product for a short period (me and some pupils) would be preferred.

Being fluent with the UI of Canoma sets my preference not for e.g. Photoshop in this brief project...

I have the software but need approval for running it. Hope someone can help me on short notice! Thanks.

(1) Did some complete streets and a few characteristical buildings in a small town, for a virtual presentation of a traffic renewal proposal.

• 1. Re: Canoma functions realised in Photoshop CS Extended??
          John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have the software but need approval for running it.

What kind of approval are you seeking from Adobe for running defunct software like Canoma?

If the project is small and you have the software, what is stopping you from completing the project right now?

• 2. Re: Canoma functions realised in Photoshop CS Extended??
            AJKong Level 1

Hi John,

About 20 pupils (12/13 years of age) will be working with the software during 6 sessions of 1.5 hours.

They are 100% new to the software. The traject is aquaintance, 1st exercises, simple object, more complex, parts of our schoolcomplex.

This is an extra to the curriculum, for those really enthousiastic to struggle for good results.

Problem: installing this software at a school-server - using it - deinstalling afterwards, it is not legal to do so without approval of the rightful owner. In my opinion this legally applies also for defunct software (personally I'd judge otherwise). The now bankrupt company, my former employer, owned it. I did not buy it then, but have the installables.

To offer the pupils this opportunity AND stay legal I do seek approval.

Problem is that I seem not to be able to just call someone: I was directed to this forum, in order to get in touch with someone who can grant the permission...

• 3. Re: Canoma functions realised in Photoshop CS Extended??

To offer the pupils this opportunity AND stay legal I do seek approval.

Problem is that I seem not to be able to just call someone: I was directed to this forum, in order to get in touch with someone who can grant the permission...

I'm going to hazard a guess that few people working at Adobe have heard of Canoma so I'm not sure who will be in a position to grant whatever approval you are seeking.

I'll leave it to Adobe staffers to comment further.

• 4. Re: Canoma functions realised in Photoshop CS Extended??
                Level 5

I cannot see how your non-issue applies to Adobe in any way, shape or form.  Not even remotely.

Perhaps if you posted in the Adobe Lounge, some mischievous contributor would be delighted to grant you the approval you seek.  Who knows, they may even provide with a phone number. 

http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/lounge?view=discussions

Maybe admin can even move your post over there.

• 5. Re: Canoma functions realised in Photoshop CS Extended??

station_two wrote:

I cannot see how your non-issue applies to Adobe in any way, shape or form.  Not even remotely.

Canoma was a 3D modelling app acquired by Adobe in 2000. Apparently parts of it were included in Adobe Atmosphere (now defunct) and Photoshop CS Extended.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canoma

So I think the OP is assuming that Adobe still holds the licensing rights to the use of the software. Thing is, who at Adobe would know anything about Canoma now? And who at Adobe is now going to give their blessing to someone using 14 year old defunct software to teach a one off extra curricular class to select school pupils?

• 6. Re: Canoma functions realised in Photoshop CS Extended??
                    Level 5

Thanks for elaborating.

I still think they would accommodate the OP over at the Lounge. 

• 7. Re: Canoma functions realised in Photoshop CS Extended??
                      SG... Adobe Employee

Hi,

As John has mentioned, Canoma and Atmosphere are no longer products that Adobe supports or provides as software.

For the class work, are you applying photographic textures to basic building shapes? You way want to see if SketchUp provides the feature set that you require.

Photoshop can be used to add and modify textures to existing models, and can be used to do some basic modeling, as well. Can you provide an quick example of what you achieve with Canoma, and what basic principles you're teaching?

regards,

steve

• 8. Re: Canoma functions realised in Photoshop CS Extended??
                        AJKong Level 1

At  http://www.adrive.com/public/DMWxGj/oud2.rar  I have uploaded a copy of a rough Canoma result, together with the photographs I worked from. Measurements are not available to me, so the traditional CAD approach is hard (e.g. using SketchUp). I added a readme.txt stating more about contents and the project as intended.

Hoping this gives all the needed information, ready to submit more if need be.

Thanks, Jeroen

Cortona3D view.png

• 9. Re: Canoma functions realised in Photoshop CS Extended??
                          AJKong Level 1

Realizing the attention I ask for a small matter indeed, I want to make a shortcut. The discussion dried up and I can fully understand that.

As it is just a very small project, with an educational goal, to be carried out with software that has been left to die, I will just use Canoma in its 1999/2000 version with the junior pupils, unless told otherwise. Instead of bothering Adobe with these "non-issue" questions.

Thanks for your reactions, all of you!