16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2014 4:47 PM by jashland Branched to a new discussion.

CC Auto save feature

lornaimw Level 1

Hi all

Just updated to CC from CS6, having never used AE auto save before I was interested in how it would work for me, should it be the same as premiere? Which makes its own folders like 'Adobe Premiere Pro Auto-Save' and puts in increments of your projects in there?

I've been using After Effects for periods of longer than an hour yet I'm seeing no autosaves where I keep my AE projs? I am a constant saver of work, but only by keyboard shortcut and as far as I'm aware there hasn't been one for increment and save, which I would be happy to use if I could shortcut it. Does any one know how to do this?

Is it not 'auto saving' BECAUSE I always save my work? If that's the case I guess I need to move onto incremement and save as I know I need multiple files/ versioning to protect from corrupting issues.

Any advice or info is appreciated. Thanks!

• 1. Re: CC Auto save feature
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Check in After Effects Preferences that Auto Save is enabled.

After Effects creates a folder in the same location as the active project file, where it stores auto-saved projects.  The duration between saves is defined by the user in Preferences.

• 2. Re: CC Auto save feature
            lornaimw Level 1

Thanks for the reply Andrew

Have checked and it is all enabled and says it will save every 20 mins, and no more than 5 versions allowed.

I know I've had AE open for more than that time yet I see no auto saves :/

Thoughts on the 'more than 5 versions' section, does that also mean once Ive reached my limit, the last one will be constantly overwritten? If so, that works well for me.

• 3. Re: CC Auto save feature
              lornaimw Level 1

Hi Andrew

Have checked my settings and also save locations, I've had projects open for ages and still no auto save folder or auto save versions. Heres an image of my settingsautosavehelp.PNG

It has been set like this from the word go with CC, which I set up last week and have used everyday since the set up. No auto saves in any of me AE project locations. This would make sense if it was only every going to give me one file and auto save my file, not create new ones or folders, but if that is the case, then auto save is useless to me!

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 4. Re: CC Auto save feature
                Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

_lornaw_ wrote:

Thoughts on the 'more than 5 versions' section, does that also mean once Ive reached my limit, the last one will be constantly overwritten? If so, that works well for me.

Yes, once the maximum number of files have been created, the oldest one will be overwritten on the next auto-save.

Where are your project files located? On a local drive, a network, a portable drive?

If you change the Auto-Save preference to use Custom Location, does it successfully auto-save?

• 5. Re: CC Auto save feature
                  lornaimw Level 1

Hi Tim

Thanks for the reply, my project files are stored on a separate drive, but it calls itself a 'local disk', it's a GSPEED eS RAID (I'm not so good with the electronical side of things)

I have changed the auto save location to the default which is on my actual computer drive, where I keep Adobe software etc but no projects. This did make an auto save folder and auto save project.

I then changed it to the GSPEED drive, where my projects are kept and it doesn't seem to have made a folder at all or done any auto saves. This must mean the issue is to do with my separate drives but I can load my projects from it so why would this be an issue?

Any further info is appreciated

Thanks for your help

• 6. Re: CC Auto save feature

Let's do another test: create a test project and save it to your local drive. Set the preference to auto-save next to the project. Does auto-save work?

Auto-save only happens when the project has unsaved changes. If you save your project frequently, auto-save won't engage. When doing these tests, make sure that your project actually needs saving. For these tests you can also set the Save Every value to 1 minute, so you don't have to wait 20 minutes.

Other thoughts...

Do you normally save your projects to the GSPEED drive? IOW, if you create a new project and save it to that drive, does it work?

What disk format does the drive use? I assume NTFS since you're on Windows, but let's double-check that.

What is the path to your project files on the GSPEED drive? What is the drive letter, and how long is the path? There could be a path character limit bug (I don't know of any but let's evaluate what you're doing and see if that's a possibility).

Do you get a warning message that auto-save did not work, or do you just never see the auto-save files on disk?

• 7. Re: CC Auto save feature
                      lornaimw Level 1

Tim

I see, I think that was probably my issue, I'm a serial saver but only using ctrl s, so I don't end up getting any new versions.

I tried again with needing a save and it worked fine on my other drive as well.

Is there anyway of auto saving even when you have saved the project? I'm looking for an easy way to create copies basically, very recent back ups of work you've pretty much only just done, as whenever my computer has suddenly crashed or something similar has happened, I've gone back to my file and it's broken and corrupted, my only option was to go back to my last 'save copy as' which I've been trying to do regularly but I find it a bit of a pain. I don't want to have to think that I need to leave it to be unsaved for autosave to kick in, or if I know I'm leaving a render going, save the last part of the work I've done and then move a keyframe forwards and then back to where it was, just so that it thinks theres a change.

Any ideas on how I can automate something like this? I hope what I've said makes sense. Thanks for your help so far.

• 8. Re: CC Auto save feature
                        Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S

Increment and Save is a wonderful feature.

• 9. Re: CC Auto save feature
                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I agree with Szalam. Auto-save is for people who can't remember to save. If that is not you, then use the much superior Increment And Save.

• 10. Re: CC Auto save feature

What Szalam and Todd said.

The existing auto-save behavior in After Effects only saves when the project needs saving. Otherwise you run into a conundrum: if it auto-saves the project at every time interval, there's the potential for all of the auto-saves to be copied over with the same version of the project. What happens if you walk away from the computer for a couple of hours?

This logic could of course be made better: only auto-save an unchanged project once. Feel free to submit a feature request. However, we get back to the original point that Increment & Save is a better workflow.

• 11. Re: CC Auto save feature
                              lornaimw Level 1

Thanks Tim, Todd and Szalam for the responses

I did notice that increment and save had a keyboard short cut, so that is ideal. However when I've used it before it constantly renames the project I'm working on with a new number at the end of it. It doesn't save a copy and keeps me on the origional, it changes what I'm actually working on.

I'm gonna end up with loads of copies this way and there's something I just don't like about it making me work on a renamed file each time.

Maybe this is actually a better workflow but my brain just doesn't see it?

Will need to learn the new shortcut....

Thanks all

• 12. Re: CC Auto save feature

_lornaw_ wrote:

I did notice that increment and save had a keyboard short cut, so that is ideal. However when I've used it before it constantly renames the project I'm working on with a new number at the end of it.

Yes, it changes the name of the project that you're working in. This is what you want. That way, if something goes awry with the project you're working on, you can go back to the previous increment to resume working.

_lornaw_ wrote:

It doesn't save a copy and keeps me on the origional, it changes what I'm actually working on.

Yes. The end result is the exact same as saving a numbered copy and carrying on working. It's not like "the original" is going to be any more pristine or anything. The quality doesn't get worse with each copy you make.

_lornaw_ wrote:

I'm gonna end up with loads of copies this way

You would end up with loads of copies either way.

_lornaw_ wrote:

there's something I just don't like about it making me work on a renamed file each time.

Why not? Shouldn't you be working in the latest version? This way, you have an easy way to keep track of which project file is the latest version.

_lornaw_ wrote:

Maybe this is actually a better workflow but my brain just doesn't see it?

It's not a better workflow, it's essentially the same workflow.

• 13. Re: CC Auto save feature
                                  lornaimw Level 1

I understand all your points and I will be moving onto increment and save for the most part, but where you said about making loads of other copies, with autosave I wouldn't be, it limits itself, and I kinda feel like I dont know why I would really need more than 2 or 3 spares, and also it would just clog up my drive to have 101 copies. But this can be solved by archiving major points and deleting the rest I suppose and that's just how I'm gonna have to work from now on

What I had been doing is saving my file, and doing file-save copy as- and making one or two other copies that I would save over when re saving my main piece of work, never a live file, but the copy was just forever a back up. But this is a pain to do and probably the wrong way to do it.

Thanks all for your help and info.

• 14. Re: CC Auto save feature

_lornaw_ wrote:

where you said about making loads of other copies, with autosave I wouldn't be, it limits itself

Sorry, I see what you meant. I thought you were talking about saving as a copy, not autosaving.

_lornaw_ wrote:

I kinda feel like I dont know why I would really need more than 2 or 3 spares, and also it would just clog up my drive to have 101 copies.

Project files (usually) aren't very large - especially when compared to HD footage - so I don't worry about them taking up space on the drive. I do, however, mind them being in my way. That's why most of my projects have a C4D project file archive folder and an AE project file archive folder. I use increment and save in both programs and, every once in a while, I'll go dump all of the old versions into the archive folders.

I don't increment and save every time I save though. (I save every five minutes, approximately.) I increment and save after major changes or a significant amount of time has been spent. (I also have auto-save turned on, in case I forget). The environment I work in can be pretty time-sensitive sometimes, so I like to have contingencies in case of crashing and it's a good habit to be in for when those important projects do come up.

However, another reason I keep all of my project files is that I try several things and you never know when a client or creative director will come back to you and go, "Well, I liked the move of that item from THIS draft version, but I like everything else from THIS version." If you've kept all of your files, you can just go and copy/paste the element you need from whatever draft it was into the current project rather than having to try to recreate that one thing they suddenly realized that they love.

• 15. Re: CC Auto save feature
                                      lornaimw Level 1

I will look to move onto increment and save and just archive my old ones.

Thanks for your insights and assistance

• 16. Re: CC Auto save feature
                                        jashland Level 1

I think there might be a bug in 2014. I just lost 5 hours of work and autosave is set up properly. It's always had my back and worked perfectly in the past. Looks like it randomly worked a few times this morning and then didn't save for the rest of the day.