5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2014 11:53 PM by Willi Adelberger

InDesign ignoring hyphenation setting

Gejaraja Level 1

Hello Everyone,

I included the user dictionary into my InDesign document. And I set the settings to break the hyphenation only after 3 letters, but InDesign is breaking the words even after 1 letter as per my user dictionary. Could you please advise whether InDesign will not consider my own settings for user dictionary terms?

Thanks,

Praveen

• 1. Re: InDesign ignoring hyphenation setting
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Where did you make these settings In your paragraph style?

• 2. Re: InDesign ignoring hyphenation setting
            Gejaraja Level 1

Thanks for the response, in 'Hyphenation' menu with 6, 3, 3, 2, 36 pt from top to bottom.

Praveen

• 3. Re: InDesign ignoring hyphenation setting

Are you using paragraph styles? You should do so! Make these settings in your para styles and apply them.

Hyphenation Menu doesn't answer anything because there are several places where this menu is available, e.g. in Paragraph Styles and in Paragraph Panel.

In the paragraph panel you change only the settings of the selected paragraph. In the paragraph styles you do it for the selected style definition.

• 4. Re: InDesign ignoring hyphenation setting
                Gejaraja Level 1

Yes I'm using paragraph styles with the above mentioned settings. But these settings are not applying to the words which are manually added words using 'Import' option from the menu 'User Dictionary'. Please advise.

Praveen

• 5. Re: InDesign ignoring hyphenation setting

When you add new words you should do it

1. to the dictionary of the correct language
                  2. insert breaking points where hyphenation should be done.

E.g. if I want to insert a new German word, I have to select the correct German Dictionary, that is "Deutsch Rechtschreibrefor 2006" (German Reform 2006), then I enter the Word like "Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschafftskapitänsausbildungsinstitutsdirektorssekretärinsschr eibmaschine". Ok the word would be a little bit too long and would not work with automatic hyphenation. So I enter tildes (~~) as breaking points. 2 of them as average hyphenation, 1 on primary and 3 on places of possible but not prefered hyphenations. So it would look like this:

"Do~~~ nau~~ dampf~~~ schiff~~~ fahrts~~ ge~~~ sell~~~ schaffts~ka~~~pi~~~täns~aus~~~bil~~~dungs~~insti~~~tuts~di~~~rek~~~tors~sek~~~re~~~tä~~~r ins~schreib~~ma~~~schi~~~ne"