3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2014 10:01 AM by MathPoli

Generated index (TOC): order of paragraphs is messed up when using RTF import

MathPoli Level 1

I have a weird problem with a semi-automatic generated index (table of content) :

A have a book containing two InDesign files: one index file and one chapter.

The index file displays all the chapter numbers and corresponding page numbers:

index.jpg

The chapter file contains one text frame. Within this text frame, real text is placed as well as paragraphs, which are imported from an RTF file:

chapter-A.jpg

So far so good.

The PROBLEM:

In the semi-auto generated index, the order of the paragraphs is messed up: the index places the real text before the RTF-imported text, even if it is behind it!

messed up order.jpg

Why is that?

Is there a solution to this?

- - - - - - -

My System:

InDesign 9.1 (CC)

MacPro 2.8 GHz QuadCore Intel Xeon, 16GB RAM

Mac OS X 10.9.1

- - - - - - -

Regards

Mathias

• 1. Re: Generated index (TOC): order of paragraphs is messed up when using RTF import
          MathPoli Level 1

I have just found out, that ID seems to "scan" a page from left-to-right to define the order of what goes where into the index. Is that correct?

If so, it would be logical that ID also scans text frames from left-to-right. That would explain the strange behaviour I posted above.

Can this be altered? Can I tell ID to scan "from top-to-bottom" instead of "from left-to-right"?

• 2. Re: Generated index (TOC): order of paragraphs is messed up when using RTF import
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

ID starts inthe upper left and reads down, then moves right and reads down again. I suspect that it's picking up the anchored frames after the normal text. Is there a reason you have to use anchored frames instead of pasting the text directly?

• 3. Re: Generated index (TOC): order of paragraphs is messed up when using RTF import
              MathPoli Level 1

Yes, the reason is this:

the text portions (that reside within the RTF file) are texts that are used in multiple documents. 

For example, it could be a company adress that is used in 100 docs at various positions. In order to reduce maintenance work, (in case the adress changes: e.g. new phone number), the text frame is placed as a file and links to the RTF file. If I placed real / normal text directly, I would have 100 instances of the adress. This would mean much more maintenance work.

Another advantage is, that if the length of the RTF text changes, I can tell the RTF text frame (in advance) to extend automatically (e.g. towards the bottom of the page). This enables a dynamic layout which reacts flexibly to changes.

It's similar to using an image multiple times. But here, it's text. And flexible.