18 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2014 9:07 AM by Laubender

Missing link that isn't existent in document

emale9999

I have an InDesign document with one missing image.

The strange thing is that this image is not (longer) placed in the document. The links palette also can't tell me where the placeholder for that missing element is: There is no page number shown in the links palette, there are no elements beside the pages or on the master pages. There just don't seem to be any placeholder containing that image!

Selecting the missing image on the links palette and clicking on the "go to image" button doesn't work - nothing happens.

I also tried to the relink the image to a file that's existent, but the relink button doesn't work here as well.

After that I placed a file with the same name at the path InDesign expects it but now the links palette shows the link as modified and I'm also not able to refresh it.

Something seems to be stuck.

Would have saved the document as .idml but unfortunately it's a document in our content management system and saving it as .idml will result in loosing all article links.

Because of the content management system I'm also not able to get a PDF out of that document because MadeToPrint / InDesign Server throws an error for all documents with missing or modified links.

Anyone an idea?

links.png

• 1. Re: Missing link that isn't existent in document
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Export to IDML and open that.

• 2. Re: Missing link that isn't existent in document
            emale9999 Level 1

As mentioned in my last paragraph: Would have done that but that breaks all article links to our content management system.

• 3. Re: Missing link that isn't existent in document
              John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Right, but doing it on a copy as an experiment may still be beneficial. If it rids the file of the image link issue, you could build a new, rectified file out of both.

• 4. Re: Missing link that isn't existent in document
                Danny Whitehead. Level 4

I think it's a bug. I've seen it in the past when I've tried to place multiple pages of multiple PDFs from different sources all at once, where some PDFs have the desired boxes (bleed, trim etc) and some don't. It seems to randomly miss out pages, and leave me with the kind phontom links you're seeing.

Luckily enough, in my case, it wasn't a disaster to have to create a new document and copy and paste what I need to start again. I'd love to see any other solutions, though.

• 5. Re: Missing link that isn't existent in document
                  SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have run into this a couple of times, and I found the missing (and already deleted) link buried in the structure panel. View>Structure>Show Structure

I was able to select and delete it from there.

• 6. Re: Missing link that isn't existent in document
                    emale9999 Level 1

Unfortunately nothing to see here.

I see no possibility to "open" the Root item so it seems to be empty?

All set to "visible" in the dropdown menu beside the trash icon.

root.png

• 7. Re: Missing link that isn't existent in document
                      Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@emale9999 – are you allowed using ExtendScript scripts?
                      Have you read/write permissions in the folder where the missing pdf was sitting?

If yes, you could try the following script snippet written in ExtendScript to relink the link named "stand.pdf" with a new text file the script will create on the fly. If that is working will unlink the text file right after.

Just a shot in the dark. Read the first three lines for instructions:

//This is ExtendScript script code. NO APPLESCRIPT CODE !
                      //Save this code as text-only ( NOT FORMATTED ) with *.jsx as suffix, eg.: RelinkUnlink.jsx
                      //Run the script from your Scripts Panel

var nameOfLinkThatWillBeReplaced = "stand.pdf";

var nameOfReplacement = "stand.txt";
                      var myPath = File(app.documents[0].links.itemByName(nameOfLinkThatWillBeReplaced).filePath).path;

var newFile = File(myPath+"/"+nameOfReplacement);
                      newFile.open("w");
                      newFile.write("Some contents");
                      newFile.close();

try{
                      app.documents[0].links.itemByName(nameOfLinkThatWillBeReplaced).relink(newFile);
                      app.documents[0].links.itemByName(nameOfReplacement).unlink();
                      }catch(e){
                          alert(e.message);
                          newFile.remove();
                          exit();
                          };
                      newFile.remove();
                      alert("Done.");

Since I have no test file, I cannot know if it will work…

If possible run this script on a duplicate of your original InDesign file.

Uwe

• 8. Re: Missing link that isn't existent in document
                        SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If Laubender's script doen't work, Select root and choose "add untagged items", and then look for your link in there. No guarantees, but its worth a try.

• 9. Re: Missing link that isn't existent in document
                          emale9999 Level 1

Thanks, Laubender and SRiegel - interesting approaches but none of them work for me. Seems I'm stuck with that document.

The Relink-Script catches an error. But the e.message only says "relink". Not more. But all other aspects of the script work as expected: The new file generated, the path of the file to relink was found...but the script seems the have the same problems as me when trying to relink the file in the UI.

I also inspected the app.documents[0].links.itemByName(nameOfLinkThatWillBeReplaced) object in the browser panel of the ExtendedScript Toolkit and everything seems to be okay with that object.

And all Figure-Tags unfortunately look like this in the structure panel:

tags.png

Maybe because of our content management system.

So impossible to detect the problematic file.

• 10. Re: Missing link that isn't existent in document
                            Mary Posner Level 3

You mentioned using a content management system and articles. Are your editors and/or designers using Track Changes in InCopy or InDesign? Is it possible this image was an item anchored within text that's been deleted, but the change has not been accepted?

• 11. Re: Missing link that isn't existent in document

@emale999 – thank you for testing my script snippet.

Mary Posner asked a valuable question. Let's see what you can say about that.

In the meanwhile we could do another test on this particular link.

Since you seem familiar with scripting and the ESTK (ExtendScript Toolkit), you could run the following code snippet which is inspecting every property of that link and write its name together with its value to the JavaScript Console of the ESTK.

On the bottom of the snippet I included my own results after running the snippet with some comments on the individual results.

You said you are using a CMS together with InDesign. This could mean that there are special properties available to the DOM (Document Object Model) and therefore your list of property/value-pairs could be longer than mine.

Here the snippet I ran on an InDesign file with a missing PDF placed named "stand.pdf":

//InspectPropertiesAndValuesOfLink_stand.pdf.jsx
                              //Uwe Laubender

//Run it from the ESTK (ExtendScript Toolkit)

var myLinkToInspect = app.documents[0].links.itemByName("stand.pdf");

for(x in myLinkToInspect){
                                  $.writeln(x+"\t"+myLinkToInspect[x]);
                                  };

/*
                              Results for my own test file.
                              commented by Uwe Laubender:

versionState    1986221653  //NOT RELEVANT, VERSION CUE ONLY: VersionState.VERSION_UNKNOWN or: VersionState.VERSION_CONFLICT
                              editingState    1986217301  //NOT RELEVANT, VERSION CUE ONLY: EditingState.EDITING_UNKNOWN
                              linkXmp    [object LinkMetadata] //NOT RELEVANT, I think
                              index    0 //NOT RELEVANT
                              parent    [object PDF] //NOT RELEVANT, it is obvious that the original is a PDF, isn't it?
                              assetURL        //EMPTY HERE, BUT COULD BE RELEVANT TO YOU, SINCE YOU ARE WORKING WITH A CONTENT MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
                              assetID        //EMPTY HERE, BUT COULD BE RELEVANT TO YOU, SINCE YOU ARE WORKING WITH A CONTENT MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
                              edited    false   
                              name    stand.pdf
                              needed    true //If true, indicates a link to a full-resolution version of the source file is needed. If false, indicates the object is embedded; unfortunately it is a "readonly" property
                              status    1819109747 //HIGHLY RELEVANT: Here: LinkStatus.LINK_MISSING, could also be: LinkStatus.LINK_INACCESSIBLE, unfortunately it is a "readonly" property
                              linkType    Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF)
                              date    //Not empty, I removed my private data here
                              size    0   //Since the original file is not present, the size is 0
                              filePath    //Not empty, I removed my private data here
                              id    225     //NOT RELEVANT, but a number should be present, could be any number higher than about 100
                              label        //NOT RELEVANT, I THINK
                              isValid    true    //RELEVANT??
                              properties    [object Object]
                              events    [object Events]
                              eventListeners    [object EventListeners]
                              preferences    [object Preferences]
                              links    [object Links]
                              isValid    true    //RELEVANT??
                              */

Let's see if we can drill out some relevant information…

Uwe

• 12. Re: Missing link that isn't existent in document
                                Monica Singh Adobe Employee

Hi,

Though i have understand your situation. But this is strange and quiet not reproducible as i tried on my system.

It would be much more helpful if you share your file.So that this issue can be investigated further to see if its a bug in InDesign.

My mail id is:

monsingh@adobe.com

Regards,

Monica Singh

• 13. Re: Missing link that isn't existent in document
                                  emale9999 Level 1

@Mary: Unfortunately I can't say. I'm not the layouter or co-worker of that document. Only was consulted some days ago because no PDF was written from that file.

I suppose that that missing file was placed before the Layout came to our content management system (most layouters are freelancers and the layout is uploaded to the content management system for translation purposes). The name of the missing file is "stand.pdf" - would have been "pattern" or "template" in english - I presume that someone placed it on a page (maybe on a special layer), aligned some objects and then deleted it (or the whole layer. There's only one layer in the layout).

@Laubender: My output is:

versionState     1986221653
                                  editingState     1986217301
                                  linkXmp          [object LinkMetadata]
                                  index            0
                                  assetURL     
                                  assetID     
                                  edited           undefined
                                  name             stand.pdf
                                  needed           undefined    // curious!
                                  status           1819109747   // missing as expected
                                  linkType         Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF)
                                  date             Mon Feb 11 2013 09:06:46 GMT+0100
                                  size             33073593
                                  filePath         /Volumes/Catalogs/Magazines/jobs/  OZ mistral/(14.02-08h)(71)(138751)LP13025/138751_LP13025_110213/LP13025_BT/stand.pdf // no server of our company. Seems to be something from our repro partner
                                  id               148038
                                  label     
                                  isValid          true
                                  properties       [object Object]
                                  events           [object Events]
                                  eventListeners   [object EventListeners]
                                  preferences      [object Preferences]
                                  links            [object Links]
                                  isValid          true

So doesn't seem to be any noticeable value.

• 14. Re: Missing link that isn't existent in document

So doesn't seem to be any noticeable value.

@emale9999 – no, I don't think so…

What is quite interesting is:

1. edited : undefined

That should be "false" or "true".

2. needed : undefined

That should be "false" or "true".

3. size : 33073593

Size is not 0 ! Strange. That could mean the file is embedded somewhere in the document.

I'm guessing here wildly, of course.

4. filePath : …

Has some "special" characters included like opening and closing brackets. Maybe this is the real culprit? Such a file path name could be problematic when packaging or handing over files from Mac to Windows.

Uwe

• 15. Re: Missing link that isn't existent in document
                                      emale9999 Level 1

4. filePath : …

Has some "special" characters included like opening and closing brackets. Maybe this is the real culprit? Such a file path name could be problematic when packaging or handing over files from Mac to Windows.

filePath can be excluded as problem: Was able to relink the file via ExtendScript to a file on my local machine without any special characters or spaces in path- and filename. Still not deletable. Maybe that caused the problem but I'm still stuck after changing the path.

• 16. Re: Missing link that isn't existent in document

@emale9999 – I wonder about the value for the size property. With a broken link this should be 0. It is not. Can we make something out of this?

Maybe the "parent" property is more important than I thought. What is the value of "parent" in your result? Does it exist at all?

Could it happen that a placed image is driven beyond the pasteboard?
                                        Just out of curiosity, can you try to widen the pasteboard for every spread to a big amount?

Uwe

• 17. Re: Missing link that isn't existent in document
                                          emale9999 Level 1

Doubled the pasteboard size but nothing to see there.

No, there's no parent property. I already tried to get the parent element and delete that but that resulted in an error.

Here's the property browser of the ExtendScript Toolkit: created a variable with the "stand.pdf" object

object.png

(size and filePath differs from my previous post because I relinked that object several times)

Should have mentioned that I had to change your InspectPropertiesAndValuesOfLink_stand.pdf.jsx-Code a bit: Had to add a try/catch block because the "parent"-property caused an error:

error.png

Thanks for your big help, Uwe, but I think we're really stuck here.

• 18. Re: Missing link that isn't existent in document

@emale9999 – hm, can you send Monica Singh the original, unaltered InDesign file?
                                            Let's see what she can find out…

Otherwise do the obvious: rebuilding the file with copy/paste all page items spread by spread.
                                            But the articles already built in the Articles Panel will not travel over, because they are tied directly with the IDs from their article members and their pageRef objects.

Even by scripting recreating the articles would be cumbersome.

Uwe