10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2014 3:44 PM by JJMack

One shared computer, more than one user. Licenses?

if52

All,

I want to make sure I am clear on licensing before I buy anything. I intend to install PS on a single computer (a VM actually) but that computer may be logged onto by a few different people, obviously one at a time.

I saw this http://forums.adobe.com/message/5423580#5423580

I am wondering still what my commitment is. Do I need to buy more than one license? I hate to seem dim, but is this per user or per computer?

This will be in a SMB environment with maybe 3 users sharing the computer. Windows 7, Active Directories

• 1. Re: One shared computer, more than one user. Licenses?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Activations are per computer and if the users log in locally then that would be perfectly covered. However, you are not allowed to serve your software via remote access. For that you need a proper volume license that covers all users that may connect to the virtualized install at any given time.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: One shared computer, more than one user. Licenses?
            D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Well, in that link it is very clearly stated "...a single user having access to the software on an office computer and a home computer or mobile computer. It is still a single license for one user."

There is no ambiguity on this point. If there is more than one user, you need a multi-seat license.

• 3. Re: One shared computer, more than one user. Licenses?
              JJMack Most Valuable Participant

twenty_one wrote:

Well, in that link it is very clearly stated "...a single user having access to the software on an office computer and a home computer or mobile computer. It is still a single license for one user."

There is no ambiguity on this point. If there is more than one user, you need a multi-seat license.

Are you a lawyer with court experience with Adobe licence contract.  Using Webster it easy to argue that if multiple people use a single user licence copy of Photoshop on a single machine that only a single user is using Photoshop at given time.  In the licence agreement does it state anywhere that the term single user refers to the one and only Santa Claus Kis Kringle or does that term  single user mean any single user at any given time.  In English it looks ambiguous in lawyere it may have a more definitive meaning.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: One shared computer, more than one user. Licenses?
                if52 Level 1

Yeah, that was my issue with the wording, and what made me ask to begin with. As you point out, based on the license agreement, I can have the software installed at the office and on a single additional computer, but not use both at once, not that I can have it installed on a computer but only my user profile can use it

• 5. Re: One shared computer, more than one user. Licenses?
                  Noel Carboni Level 8

Free legal advice is worth every penny you pay.  :)

Seriously, this is not a question that can be resolved on a forum, if52...  You're going to have to call Adobe Sales.

-Noel

• 6. Re: One shared computer, more than one user. Licenses?
                    if52 Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

Hmm, maybe I'll rethink the VM setup then. I kind of didn't want to tie up the physical footprint of another computer just to create a system for users to have access to PS. Oh well.

• 7. Re: One shared computer, more than one user. Licenses?
                      if52 Level 1

Agreed. I wasn't sure what the depth of experience was here so I figured I would see if anybody had insight.

• 8. Re: One shared computer, more than one user. Licenses?

Noel Carboni wrote:

Free legal advice is worth every penny you pay. 

Seriously, this is not a question that can be resolved on a forum, if52...  You're going to have to call Adobe Sales.

What make you think that a sales person knows. This is not a topic for disscution either. The do(s) and don't(s)

Do

• Respect others.
                        • Assume good faith.
                        • Share what you know.
                        • Be good to "newbies." We were all new once.
                        • Encourage each other; recognize and praise good work.
                        • Attract and honor good, knowledgeable people.
                        • Ask for help and help others in return.
                        • Set a good example.

Don't

• Infringe copyright. Submit only original material that you create and own.
                        • Use obscene or offensive language.
                        • Personally attack people, their edits, or their comments.
                        • Rant or otherwise harass, abuse, or intimidate others.
                        • Post anything you don't want the world to see. This is a public space.
                        • Post content that violates Adobe Community Help guidelines or Adobe.com Terms of Use in any manner.
                        • Be afraid to identify errors or shortcomings in Adobe content. We need to know!
                        • Discuss legal issues or Adobe patents.
                        • Discuss information covered by a nondisclosure agreement, such as prerelease features.
                        • 9. Re: One shared computer, more than one user. Licenses?
                          D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

JJMack wrote:

Are you a lawyer with court experience with Adobe licence contract.

I've been following these forums for seven or eight years, and that's always been the consensus interpretation that everybody agreed upon. Not being a lawyer has never stopped anyone from saying what I said.

If it's wrong, I'm perfectly fine with that.

<shrug>

• 10. Re: One shared computer, more than one user. Licenses?

21 Its that I agree with Noel Free legal advice is worth every penny you pay.   

Personally I failed every English course I ever had to take.   IMO it look like every licence agreement I have tried to read have been written in a way to make them unclear.  A document for layers to argue over.  I offer no advice when it come to legal documents.  As I wrote I don't do English well and I find it hard to believe that user know what they are agreeing to when the agree with the terms.  Most seem to state that the creator of the agreement can change it at any time.