5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2014 6:28 AM by Szalam

After Effects Morphing help.

MashR2toKill

Hi. I am going to enter this film contest and I have decided to do a film on smoking. I want the character to morph from young, to adault, to old all while walking down one hallway. I dont want to fade from shot to shot. I want it to morph. Is this possible? If so, can you help. I am reletivily new to After Effects.

• 1. Re: After Effects Morphing help.
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I am reletivily new to After Effects.

Sorry to be so brutally candid, but don't you think think it's time for a reality check? You know, that thing about ambition vs. skills... Not that it would matter - off the bat AE does not have any "morphing" tools aside from the Reshape effect, but of course one could always complement it with other distortion effects. Still, it's gonna end up a bloody awful lot of fiddling and keyframing. If you want real motion morphing, you will have to buy plug-ins like RevisionFX RE:Flex and those don't come cheap. Well, whatever, I definitely think you are in over your head and seriously need to come up with a plan B or at least adapt your storytelling in such a way that it can get away with simple cuts, dissolves or basic distortion effects that you can actually do and get finished in time given AE's limitations and your limited experience in using it.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: After Effects Morphing help.
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Here is a tutorial on morphing in After Effects using the Reshape effect.

However, if you're new to AE, this is not the right sort of effect to start out with. It would be better, as Mylenium says, to tell your story with cuts, dissolves, and a little bit of distortion tools instead of one, huge, effects shot.

• 3. Re: After Effects Morphing help.
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I tend to disagree with my coligues. I once won a film festival with a one minute video that appeared to be a single shot, but it took days to setup. It won because it was a really unique way to tell a very simple story, get a thorn from a rose bush stuck in your big toe and it hurts.

If you have a really good idea then go for it, but don't expect to be able to pull it off in AE without a ton of planning and probably 50 to 100 hours experimenting with AE to figure out the best way to make your morph's work. This is not something you will pull off well in a single weekend with some stock footage and a plug-in.

• 4. Re: After Effects Morphing help.
                Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This may be an easier option:

http://www.fantamorph.com/index.html

and export then import to either AE or PPro.

• 5. Re: After Effects Morphing help.
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Rick Gerard wrote:

I tend to disagree with my coligues. I once won a film festival with a one minute video that appeared to be a single shot, but it took days to setup.

I'm not saying it's not a good idea. I think it's a great idea. I'm just saying it may not be a good idea at his skill level. This shot will require a lot of planning, as you mentioned, and I think a bit more experience is going to be needed before attempting this.