10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2015 4:24 PM by Gb84

Setting Default File Associations

ArakoKatoc

I've only seen this problem in my Adobe products, so I'm asking here first.

My company has been using Adobe products for ages, and much of our artwork is in old Pagemaker formats (.pmd) and with the update to Adobe Creative Cloud, the newest version of the appropriate application, InDesign CC, is unable to open them. Which I understand, at some point things have to become unsupported or these applications would be enormous. I also have InDesign CS6, which IS still capable of opening the files.

I went into Windows Explorer to try and set the default program for .pmd files to InDesign, but it seems to be incapable of saving that setting. It shows me default options, and a dropdown with extra programs that may work, then I click Browse and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\InDesign CS6 and select InDesign.exe. When it returns to the programs list, InDesign isn't there. Now my PMD's are trying to open in Photoshop CC. (why it tries that as opposed to in design I have no idea.)

Please help!

• 1. Re: Setting Default File Associations
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Support for opening Pagemaker files was dropped in InDesign CC. You'll have to keep InDesign CS6 for that. You'll need to open CS6 and navigate to open the .pmd files.

• 2. Re: Setting Default File Associations
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Windows is really bad at this. It's probably easies to just bite the bullet and open ID, then use the File > Open command.

• 3. Re: Setting Default File Associations
              ArakoKatoc Level 1

Thank you for the quick response, but sadly I just don't think this is gonna work for me. I mean it's not that I need a tremendously long-term solution, but I'm about to undertake the task of updating all our artwork, which means opening and saving THOUSANDS of files. If InDesign saved my place, that might be an option, but it doesn't. I need an independent window that saves which file I left off on.

The thing I dislike, as always, is the insistance that it's always someone else's product that handles something poorly. I'm not saying that Windows isn't possibly the culprit here, but similarly to how Adobe might eliminate themselves as the culprit by saying if it was an adobe problem, it would be present in more than a handful of Adobe deployments, I can eliminate windows as the culprit by citing any of the other thousands of file types on my PC I can correctly alter from one program to another. Neither truly rules themselves out, clearly, when I'm in a situation where both sides can eliminate themselves. And that's why I hate that mentality, because Adobe says "it's not our problem!" by looking at all the other Adobe users not having this problem, and Windows says the same thing, citing all the windows users that can accurately change all of their file associations, and I'm left in the middle with nowhere to go for help.

I mean if it's me, then let me know what I'm doing wrong, and I'll fix it. But I need to be able to do this in an at least somewhat timely manner. I really need to figure out a way to make this work.

• 4. Re: Setting Default File Associations
                John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I've seen this happen with file extensions that Microsoft has essentially left for dead at the OS level, and it's no suprise that .pmd would be one. The way the file extension association sequence goes, it seems you should be able to associate any existing file extension with any application, but that's not the case. I imagine it could lead to some problems if it did work freely that way.

Anyway, for my own purposes, I'd file this away as not-worth-the-time and simply open Pagemaker files by choosing Open from the InDesign File menu.

• 5. Re: Setting Default File Associations
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Does it really matter where you assign the blame? It doesn't change what you need to do.

Why not move blocs of files from one folder to another to keep track as you open them in groups?

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Setting Default File Associations
                    John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

ArakoKatoc wrote:

...which means opening and saving THOUSANDS of files. If InDesign saved my place, that might be an option, but it doesn't. I need an independent window that saves which file I left off on.

I understand the problem, but simply working through them in an Explorer window isn't exactly an administratively sound approach either. If it was my task, I'd be looking for better ways to manage it. The first thing that comes to my mind is organizing the files in a way that will make it easier to keep track, even if you lose your place, which you inevitably will. Divide those 1000's of files up into smaller collections (folders), and perhaps use a batch-renaming utility to name and order them numerically. Combine that with an equivalent organizational scheme for the newly saved-as InDesign files, and you should be safe.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Setting Default File Associations
                      ArakoKatoc Level 1

That's a helpful peice of advice Peter.

That said, this isn't about assigning blame, it's about getting help.

Windows and Adobe aren't interfacing properly. I don't care who's at fault, because I think both have created quality products that I have and will continue to use. This is a glitch. A malfunction. They happen. But when noone takes any responsibility for the problem it leaves me with noone to go to for help. Technical support has turned into the same kind of business as Insurance. Do everything you can to do absolutely nothing to help. And the worst part is that the companies have farmed out their tech support to helpful users, like yourself, whom I believe has nothing to do with the Adobe company, you're just incredibly helpful and patient. People like you are wonderful, but the fact that Adobe leans so heavily upon you (having answered fully half or more of my adobe issues) is no less than average for business these days. And it's sad, because there was a time when companies supported their products, to the point of being able to call them and they'd get windows on a conference call to make sure -someone- got the problem fixed.

Again it's not about blame, it's just about fixing the problem.

But I do thank you very much for the suggestion. I'd imagine I'm not going to have much of a choice in my ability to do this via windows explorer, so I do appreciate the helpful suggestion for how to work around it as best one can.

In truth I didn't expect much in the way of support for a product depreciated for what... a decade?

• 8. Re: Setting Default File Associations
                        ArakoKatoc Level 1

John, as I've had to say a number of times, I'm not a formally trained professional at this. I do things in the best ways I know how, but I don't know much in the way of administratively sound practices, best practices, or industry standards. I self-taught myself on Photoshop, was shown Pagemaker and Illustrator 7 by my predacessor, and have learned as much as I can through tutorials and webinars since then.

Because of that I tremendously appreciate the helpful suggestions of people like you and Peter, whom I've already marked both of your suggestions as helpful. Sadly I don't believe there's going to be a "correct" answer, because "correct" would be getting the file association to work, but I think these are going to have to be my best options. Do you have any utilities that you suggest, or would google serve me as fast?

• 10. Re: Setting Default File Associations
                          Gb84 Level 1

Bit of a late response but should work for others in similar situations. I dont have Pagemaker but has worked in the same situation with Indesign. Using regedit (Windows button - type regedit) navigate to the below (you will need to find the Pagemaker equivalent somewhere close by)
                          HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Applications\InDesign.exe\shell\open\command

Edit the string to point to the program you want it to open in - in my case "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CC 2014\InDesign.exe" "%1"

From now on you should be able to right click on a Pagemaker file and select open with. The Indesign option will remain saved as an option and shouldn't disappear any more.