3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2014 6:37 AM by kglad

How do I build a search function for information kiosk?

emperorizal

Greetings,

I'm working on an information kiosk and the client requested that I create a search inquiry in the interactive. I have some knowledge on simple search inquiry using the "input text", a phone book function, you type in a name and another input text field will display the name's information. My question is, how do I create a similar function but the result consists of both (information) text and (floor plan) images. It's an information kiosk for a small local mall in Malaysia, and I only know Adobe Flash for interactive development, nothing else. Can anyone help me with this? Do I have to use AS3 or AS2?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: How do I build a search function for information kiosk?
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

you should use as3 and you must use as3 if you're using flash cc.

create a list of key words/phrases that will be used to determine what will trigger a response.  you could use an object to associate those key words/phrases with text/images that should be displayed.

for example:

var keyObj:Object={};

keyObj["large kitchen"]=["whatever text you want to display in response to that query","class_name_of_image_to_display"];

etc

to search:

function searchF(s:String):void{

if(keyObj[s]){

display_tf.text=keyObj[s][0];

var C:Class=getDefinitionByName(keyObj[s][1]) as Class;

var image=new C();

// if that's a display object, add to the display list.  if it's a bitmapdata object, create a bitmap to add to the display list

} else {

// give some feedback

}

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I build a search function for information kiosk?
            emperorizal Level 1

Thank you, but i still need details.

So, let's say a user wants to search "Restoran XYZ", he keyed in the text in the input text area and hit the search button, so that a short bodycopy of discription and an image of the floor plan to that restaurant will appear, that is what I want to achieve.

I need more details.

The AS3 codes you provided earlier, where do i put them? Does this scripts work with a search button? And If you don't mind, can you explain a little bit about the scripts? For example, where do I store the images, in the library or external file in the same folder with the main project file?

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. Thank you again for your tutorial.

• 3. Re: How do I build a search function for information kiosk?
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

if you don't know any actionscript, you'll need to learn or hire someone.

but using your example, you would have:

keyObj["Restoran XYZ"]=["whatever text you want to display in response to that query","class_name_of_image_to_display"];

the images would be in the library in this example with class names.  but if you want to load them, you can do that with a slight modification:

var loader:Loader=new Loader();

addChild(loader);

keyObj["large kitchen"]=["whatever text you want to display in response to that query","path/image_name"];

etc

to search:

function searchF(s:String):void{

if(keyObj[s]){

display_tf.text=keyObj[s][0];

loader.load(new URLRequest(keyObj[s][1]));

} else {

// give some feedback

}

1 person found this helpful