7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 14, 2014 11:13 PM by dvint RSS

cs6 has stopped showing images in window unless it is dragged

dvint Community Member

I've been using this program for almost a year now. Last night it started acting up. I will open an image and see that the tab with the filename and info shows up, but the image is not displayed. If I select the window border so I can move it around it will display the image. Let go the mouse button and the window goes back to the background color.

FYI, the navigoatr window shows the image properly.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the software but that has not changed anything.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: cs6 has stopped showing images in window unless it is dragged
          Noel Carboni Community Member

Sounds like a GPU issue; and possibly one involving your monitor color profile.

I say that because Photoshop temporarily switches to CPU-based color-management and GDI display calls when moving a window.

Have you installed a system update since it worked?

It's possible, I suppose that a preferences reset might help.  If you're desperate and need to take that step, it can be done like this:  Press and hold Command - Shift - Option simultaneously (or Control - Shift - Alt if on a PC) immediately upon cold-starting Photoshop. If you get the keys down quickly enough - and you have to be really quick - it will prompt you to confirm deletion of your current preferences, which will lead to the establishment of a fresh default set. If it does not prompt you, you haven't been quick enough to get the keys down.

-Noel

• 2. Re: cs6 has stopped showing images in window unless it is dragged
            dvint Community Member

I managed to get the preferences removed but that didn't fix the problem. I think you are right about the GPU though. I'm getting wierd results as I expand windows or move them within Photoshop - getting multiple frames and such.

• 3. Re: cs6 has stopped showing images in window unless it is dragged
              dvint Community Member

FYI, there was a Windows system update that happened today. I don't think anything installed last night. I did just disable my NVIDA device and I'm now getting images again. The driver is dated 10/28/13 so I don't think that has been updated recently.

• 4. Re: cs6 has stopped showing images in window unless it is dragged
                dvint Community Member

Rolling back the GPU driver seems to have things working now.

thanks for pinting me in the right direction

• 5. Re: cs6 has stopped showing images in window unless it is dragged
                  dvint Community Member

Well here is a twist on things. Resetting the GPU only sort of worked. I was having performance issues where zooming would not work. Adding text would require like two clicks to change the font size - just weird stuff going on.

It looks like Phtoshop doesn't like the high contrast window configuration. I've switched this back and things are working better. I'm still fighting a few details and am reinstal PS and other plugins to see if that clears up the remaining problems - which I think I introduced while trying to fix this other one.

• 6. Re: cs6 has stopped showing images in window unless it is dragged
                    Noel Carboni Community Member

You rolled back the GPU driver how?  Via the Windows Device Manager?

Here's the best way to ensure you have the right driver:  Visit nVidia.com and navigate to the driver downloads section.  Drivers available from the manufacturer are almost universally better than the ones delivered through Microsoft / Windows Update.

-Noel

• 7. Re: cs6 has stopped showing images in window unless it is dragged
                      dvint Community Member

Roll back was with the device manager. Dell had a couple of newer drivers but it looks like they weren't for Win 8.1. I ddi get drivers from Nvidia which were newer. It looks like the change that was made was just in my choice of turning on a high contrast window preference. Turning that back to a typical windo scheme seems to have fixed the problem.