9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2014 5:41 PM by A.T. Romano

Display problem

P1965 Level 1

Running Pre 11 on an AMD trip core, 8G Ram and just upgraded to Win 8.1   Video card is Radeion HD 4800 series and used to have win 7 on same system which worked fine.  All vid drivers are current and display seems fine with the exception of Pre 11 where rendered timeline is very choppy, even still photos and the images in the preview window are not very clear - pixelated appearance to the edges.   Any suggestions as to what the issue is?

• 1. Re: Display problem
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For Windows, do NOT rely on Windows Update to have current driver information

-you need to go direct to the vendor web site and check updates for yourself

ATI Driver Autodetect http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

• 2. Re: Display problem
            A.T. Romano Level 7

P1965

I have Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 64 bit as well as Windows 8.1 64 bit and both run well. My video card is Intel HD Graphics in both cases.

I would focus first on the properites of the source media and the project preset that you or the program is setting. What is the project preset and does it match the properties of the source media? What are the pixel dimensions of those still image? Are you getting an orange line over the source when it is first dragged to the Timeline? Or, is there no colored line? What is the duration of the TImeline content when views are getting choppy?

Is the quality of the preview poor in the Edit area monitor as well as in the Preview Window with the Set In and Set Out points?

Is your computer optimized - pile ups of preview files, conformed audio, conformed video files taken care of? Do you run the ccleaner program through your computer (regular cleaner as well as its registry cleaner part)?

Did you do any uninstalling/reinstalling of Premiere Elements 11 and/or QuickTime when you switched from Windows 7 to 8.1 64 bit?

Let us start here and then we can plan some troubleshooting strategy.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Display problem
              P1965 Level 1

Ok, will try to answer some of the questions.  

First, I should have noted that all the Pre projects, 5 in total (some SD, some HD) were created previously on this same system but running Win 7 64 so I the playback issues I stated above aren't on new projects, but existing ones.

For more PC info: Pre11 was installed on this same PC with Win 7-64, on the main 'C drive' 7200 650GB and projects stored on 2nd internal HDD 7200 1T with about 80% free space.  The projects and program was working fine until I had some other system issues and decided upon the clean up and upgrade to Win8

Now have a fresh install of Win 8-64 on same PC and drives are the same, thus a very clean system at this point.

There is also now a fresh install of Pre11, PShop11, and latest version of Quicktime.  The existing projects opened fine with the exception of the message asking "where are the rendered files"

Understanding that with a new OS and new Pre 11 install, it won't find those files so I "skipped all" and the projects loaded. Then did a simple timeline render and now the playback is quite jittery and images appear choppy.  Closed project and rebooted and opened the project with the timeline now still rendered, with the exception of a couple areas (the PSD-PNG files I asked about in another post), but still playback not improved - within the editing area window.

Prior to this upgrade, portions of the HD project were exported to AVCHD files using the recommended settings, to be used later in one complete video and these play quite well for the most part.

The display drivers are not upgraded from windows update, but from the graphic card site with latest versions.

To sum it up, system is clean but the old preview file folders still exist on the 2nd drive, maybe I should delete all those older folders?

• 4. Re: Display problem
                P1965 Level 1

Just got all existing projects up and running (re: new Pre11 install etc) and the SD projects are better, but still a bit choppy.  Also noticed the timeline indicator is jumpy as well.  The HD projects yet to improve even after deleting all old rendered files and preview files.

Plays better in the edit window if mafnification is reduced from fit to at least 50%

• 5. Re: Display problem
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

P1965

Sorry I did not get back to you sooner. I have been getting detoured.

Few things more to check out, if you have not already....

a. Right click the Edit area monitor, select Playback Quality, and then compare the settings of Automatic vs Highest. Leave the Magnification on "Fit" (the default).

b. Check out Edit Menu/Preferences/General and "Timeline render quality (valid for HD projects" and the two choices

"Draft quality, High speed" (the default) vs "High quality, Slow speed"

c. The critical test is to determine the playback quality of the end product even if the Edit area previewing in the Monitor is not the greatest.

These are all rendered Timeline content that are choppy, is that correct?

Remind me, are you matching the properties of your source media with the project preset? And, if you are letting the program make the set, are you checking to see if it did it correctly? If not, then you will need to set the project preset manually and then import your source media.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-accuracy-of-automatic-project.html

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks for the latest developments.

ATR

• 6. Re: Display problem
                    P1965 Level 1

Thanks for the reply - I can imagine you are quite busy on this site alone.

I have tried these:

a) 'fit' has been the typical setting used and tried reducing the magnification and below 50% results in improvement - perfect at 25%, just difficult to edit at that size.

b) tried both these settings and the results were no change, but not sure about that "valid for HD projects" part (don't recall that option but will check)

c) Have not tried an export yet under these conditions, but can try that.

Yes the playback issue is on a rendered timeline which remains rendered when re-opened again. 

The baffling part is that the program was running fairly well and the projects ran fine when running Win 7-64, where they were created.  That is, the project settings must have been correct, or close to it. 

This 'choppy' playback is happening after the change to Win 8-64 and using the same PC and components and now almost 'bare bones' system.  One noticable change though, is that Pre11 loads the projects considerably faster now.  I attribute that to the somewhat clogged up system I was running before.

Another note is that I randomly get that infernal baddriver.txt file preventing the program from starting.  This seems to happen afer closing an HD project, then opening an SD project.  Opening a second HD is fine.... strange. 

Video driver is up to date via the AMD site and this was done prior to installing PRe11 and PS11.

• 7. Re: Display problem
                      P1965 Level 1

Also, I considered that it may be a graphics acceleration issue but seem to be limited with options compared to Win 7, and admittedly unfamiliar with Win 8, (but can say I don't like it!)

However, did find that the monitor refresh was at 59 Hz for some reason, so changed it to 60.  That seemed to make a very very minor difference.

• 8. Re: Display problem
                        P1965 Level 1

Alas, i think I found the issue.  After installing the lastest AMD driver which was a painstaking task in itself just to get the corretct one, videos played ok.   BUT, the problem resurfaced after a while and got me thinking about the temperature of the CPU, which was over 70c.  With AMD CCC program it allows overclockiing and fan control, and once the fan speed was increased, the CPU and video card temp dropped and the videos play fine again.  

Problem solved, for now anyway .......

• 9. Re: Display problem
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

P1965

Thanks for that great news. It is a major contribution to those reading your thread and its evolution to success. Great job.

Please up date on your progress when you get the time.

ATR