9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2014 12:01 PM by anita-s

Automatization in After Effects

anita-s

Hello,

I am writing a thesis about automated infographics in After Effects. As I am quite new in After Effects, I have limited knowledge of literature and sources connected to that topic. So far I know about the Adobe Press official books like Classroom in a book and After Effects Expressions by Geduld. I would be very grateful, if someone could give me some tips on useful books about automatized motion graphics or automation in AE. My areas of interest are mostly:

- creating automated rendering processes

- creation of custom controls

- how to automate the importing of assests (into a predefined composition)

- importing spreadsheet textual data into text layers

- using spreadsheet data to control expressions/effects in AE

- creation and principles of motion infographics

- AE/motion infographics in marketing, advertisement and corporate PR

- cooperation of AE with other software like PS, AI, Premiere

- AE workflow

- online generating of graphics based on playlists

- or anything else you think might be useful

Thank you very much for your help and tips

Anita

• 1. Re: Automatization in After Effects
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You're writing a thesis? On all of that? While you're still new to AE? Yikes.

To learn about After Effects, start here. Expect for it to take a couple of weeks to get familiar with the basics of how it works. After that, you can go on to the other things you're wondering about.

• 2. Re: Automatization in After Effects
            anita-s Level 1

Hello,

thank you very much for your answer. I apologize for not being clear enough in my statements. With being quite new I meant I have not written any scripts of my own but I am already familiar with using After Effects. I can handle most of the work in AE connected to complex animation and made a few projects in AE. Most of the books i find on Amazon describe things I am already able to do, however, I cannot find any literature on professional use and development of AE, as I described in my question. I am not interested in books saying "click here" and "use this tool" to make a shape rotate. I am looking for theory about the extent programming features AE can provide in connection with other software as well as the creation of own scripts and controls to automatize the workflow of repeated actions in AE. If you have any tips on books or at least blogs or sites actually describing these topics in depth, I would be very grateful for sharing this information with me.

With many thanks,

Anita

• 3. Re: Automatization in After Effects
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You should get familiar with JavaScript and look at the Scripting form (link on the side of this forum's home page) and sites like AE Enhancers. There are a lot of resources for scripting in After Effects and there's nothing magic about it. After Effects does have a few specific keywords and processes you have to learn, but it's just basic JavaScript.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Automatization in After Effects
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

anita-s wrote:

With being quite new I meant I have not written any scripts of my own but I am already familiar with using After Effects.

OH! That makes much more sense.

In addition to the resources that Rick mentions, I would suggest you check out Dan Ebberts' site. He has a wealth of knowledge in Expressions in AE and is very generous to share what he knows.

Also, a basic understanding of color, animation, and motion design is critical for producing quality infographics. A study in the rules of design and the rules of animation would be beneficial. If you haven't already, check out Design Essentials for the Motion Media Artist: A Practical Guide to Principles & Techniques by Angie Taylor or similar resources.

• 5. Re: Automatization in After Effects
                  UQg Level 4

Hello,

if you want to know what it looks like to automate stuff for After Effects, you should have a look (at least a short one) at:

• the JavaScript_Tools Guide_CC.pdf, which is a shared ressource for Adobe scriptable apps (AE, but also InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Bridge), and which covers common issues, like file handling, UI stuff, communication between apps...
                  • the After_Effects_CS6_Scripting_Guide.pdf, which covers the AE object model.

See this page for download links: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/aftereffects.html

That's what people who want to automate something in AE have to go through.

Xavier.

• 6. Re: Automatization in After Effects
                    Dave LaRonde Level 6

From a non-AE-practitioner and consumer's perspective, I find this line of academic query quite revolting, tasteless and totalitarian in its implications. 

And as an AE practitioner who can't separate himself from the consumer's perspective I will have nothing to do with it other than to say, "It stinks.  On ice".

• 7. Re: Automatization in After Effects
                      anita-s Level 1

Thank you very much for your help I believe these links will be really helpful for me

• 8. Re: Automatization in After Effects
                        UQg Level 4

Dave, i'm not sure whether your post is commenting mine, i suppose so, and i don't understand.

This topic is not about how to do this and that within AE like most other posts but how to automate using the javascript API, what are good ressources books for that, etc, and i do think it can be helpful for her work to have a look at the 2 cited above.

What totalitarism are you talking about ?

Xavier.

Edit: ok, posted at the same time as anita... Thank you for this fix.

• 9. Re: Automatization in After Effects
                          anita-s Level 1

Thank you, I will check out both