3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2014 10:45 AM by rwilsie

Unable to sign in Reader using signature pad

rwilsie

I have a form that I created by converting a Word document using Acrobat XI Pro.  This form has three signature fields, and we need to be able to sign in these fields using a Topaz signature pad.  In Acrobat, I have saved it as Reader Extended PDF (and chose the third option... "Enable more tools").  When I open the form in Reader (latest version), I'm able to click the signature box, it brings up a signature window, and I'm able to sign on the signature pad (the image does appear on the screen).  But when I click the "Accept" button, I get the following error message:

Reader Error.png

If I open the PDF (the Reader Extended version) in Acrobat and look at the security properties, this is what I see:

Security Properties.png

So if I follow the instrucitons on that screen and "Save a Copy", I'm then unable to sign at all in Reader.  It's like it's telling me I can sign it if I do thing 1... I do thing 1 and it says I gotta do thing 2... I do thing 2 and I'm back where I started.  Help!

• 2. Re: Unable to sign in Reader using signature pad
          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The problem may be what it says, the document is open in another application. Is your pdf on a server? Are you working with the original extended pdf or a copy? Try this:

1) Make a few extra copies of the pdf in Windows to work with.

2) Can you sign a copy of the pdf in Acrobat using your Topaz Signature pad?

3) Can you sign a copy of the pdf in Reader using your Topaz Signature pad?

Do you have any background processes going on? (Automatic backup, virus protection, etc.) If so, can you try to halt those processes?

• 3. Re: Unable to sign in Reader using signature pad
            rwilsie Level 1

No, the PDF is on my local machine when I open it and try to sign in Reader.  I'm working with the original extended pdf.

2) Yes (and this has always been the case).

3) No.

No background processes that I can think of.  Also, we've gotten these same results on several machines.

For some reason, I have a feeling this has something to do with the fact that it's a form created from a Word document.  In the Googling I did before coming here, many (if not most) of the people who had the same problem said that theirs was a form created from a Word document.  And on every single one of the cases, the people responding either didn't address that fact or didn't seem to think it was relevant.  But could it be??