8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2014 9:23 AM by A.T. Romano

.prel question

stevebee92653

What is .prel, my only save choice in Adobe video editor? It's not usable.

• 1. Re: .prel question
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Stevebee,

It appears that you are using Adobe Premiere Elements. The .PREL file is the Project File for PrE, and contains the instructions for your PrE Project.

As this is the Photoshop Forum, I will Move your post to the Premiere Elements Forum.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Moved to Premiere Elements Forum]

• 2. Re: .prel question
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Now that we have your post in the correct forum, here is a Tips & Tricks article that explains the Project Files (.PREL in the case of Premiere Elements): http://forums.adobe.com/thread/477920?tstart=30

If you tell us which version of PrE you have, and the OS version that it is running on, we can instruct you how to Export/Share/Publish+Share your Project's Timeline to an AV file, which can be played.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: .prel question
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Go to the Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 and start at the top... pay particular attention to the several SHARING links

• 4. Re: .prel question
                A.T. Romano Level 7

stevebee92653

Besides what version of Premiere Elements you have and on what computer operating system is it running, there is the important question of just what do you want to do with what you are importing into your version of Premiere Elements for video editing?

Did you have a specific project in mind that made you think that Premiere Elements is the video editor for you to get that your project done?

Do you want to export your import as a file saved to the computer hard drive for computer viewing, burn your Timeline to a disc for TV viewing (DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, AVCHD on DVD disc, or Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray) for TV viewing?

When you create a new project, it exists as as a project file with the file extension .prel. You cannot import one project file into another.

Please review so that we can customize our reply to your specific video editing needs.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: .prel question
                  stevebee92653 Level 1

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I went into “share” and the options were well hidden there, so I was able to change the file name. It should be made more obvious

Steve

• 6. Re: .prel question
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Thanks for the follow up.

Since you mention "Share", I am assuming that you are using a version of Premiere Elements earlier than 11. The latest two versions, 11 and 12, use the name "Publish+Share" instead of "Share" as headers for the export choices.

If you need any assists with import settings or export choices, just name your version, and we will give you specifics for what you would like to accomplish for the project that you describe.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: .prel question
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Stevebee,

I agree with you about the Share Panel (and it's very similar in the Publish+Share Panel), in that the scroll bars do not stand out, and many users become frustrated, thinking that they only have but a few Share options - they have them, but must scroll to find them.

I know that software GUI designers work hard to keep the "look" as clean, and streamlined, as is possible, but for things like scroll bars, they SHOULD be more obvious.

Glad that you found what you needed.

Happy editing,

Hunt

• 8. Re: .prel question
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

You wrote

I went into “share” and the options were well hidden there, so I was able to change the file name. It should be made more obvious

I am assuming that you are referring to Share/Computer/and the choices beyond what you can see if you not notice that scroll bar to the right.

Now that you know where it is, here is a tip that might come in handy if you want to avoid using the scroll bar to get up and down the whole list of

Adobe Flash Video

MPEG

AVCHD

AVI

Windows Media

QuickTime

Audio

Tip

Typically you will see just

Adobe Flash Video

MPEG

AVCHD

Click on AVCHD to select it (the panel will turn blue)

Then use the down arrow key to navigate down the list and the up arrow key to navigate up the list.

Please let us know if the works for you and is convenient in your Premiere Elements workflows.

Thanks.

ATR